U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2011, 04:28 PM

25 posts, read 36,208 times

Advertisements

In South Central and Compton, you could find middleclass working caucasians going hands to hands with hispanics and african americans. They all got along. It was diversity at best until 1960 when the whites took off in droves. Very sad! There used to be some hot blondes and brunettes there. In Inglewood, you had the hottest girls living there who aspired to be models and actresses. It was over by 1965. It's too bad. LA is a hellhole and so segregated and very unfriendly. LA people used to be very friendly and Kansas like. I guess alot of those people died or just moved on to Oregon, Washington, Idaho, Utah and Neveda/Arizona.

My favorite time to be in LA: 1986 and from 1945-1961. The worst time: 1989-93 and now!
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2011, 06:30 PM

457 posts, read 630,211 times
Why stop at 1950s ? Why not go back 100s of years ? LA was a true paradise then as it was uninhibited before some greedy Europeans arrived and destroyed LA #sarcasm #tiredOfOldPeopleComplainingAboutAsiansAndMexicans

Old 01-01-2012, 05:58 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,493,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmode View Post
why stop at 1950s ? Why not go back 100s of years ? La was a true paradise then as it was uninhibited before some greedy europeans arrived and destroyed la #sarcasm #tiredofoldpeoplecomplainingaboutasiansandmexicans

Old 01-01-2012, 06:28 PM

2,435 posts, read 2,719,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rack of lamb View Post
LA was paradise and fun with no homeless people, very few thugs and minority being a true minority. It was clean with some traffic and still with quite a few nasty smoggy days. The hispanics and asians stayed near downtown and pretty much kept away from Hollywood except for tourists. The beaches were clean and mostly patronized by caucasion and very few african-americans and hispanics. The crime rate was somewhat lower than today: 120 homicides in the city of 2.3 million in 1957 vs 348 in the city of 3.8 today. However, there were more rapes and robberies in 1957 than today. There were more blondes like Jane Mansfield and Marilynn Monroe than today. Mid-Wilshire and Palm were cool neighborhoods for weekend barbeque with cool friends, not a minority enclave. Oh, those were the days!
Ahh... A narrow-minded racist look back at an anglocentric Los Angeles that implies that it's magnificence was due to the absence of diversity. Never mind all the colored minorities who damn near built the place bare-handed. Smh...

Old 01-02-2012, 03:30 PM

25 posts, read 36,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Opinionated View Post
Ahh... A narrow-minded racist look back at an anglocentric Los Angeles that implies that it's magnificence was due to the absence of diversity. Never mind all the colored minorities who damn near built the place bare-handed. Smh...
You got me all wrong! There were hispanics and blacks in the downtown area as well in South-Central and Eastside. It had great diversity with whites mixed in, not segregated as it is today. They all got along back then until the early 60's. It just that Hollywood was 98% white. Now, if you go go to Mid Wilshire, it's no diversity at all. It's all hispanics as if you were in the 3rd world. I just don't want to be there at all now. I like diversity like they had in the 50's, not a Mexican LA or a third world LA!

Old 01-02-2012, 04:48 PM

17,449 posts, read 22,953,730 times
Quote:
You got me all wrong! There were hispanics and blacks in the downtown area as well in South-Central and Eastside. It had great diversity with whites mixed in, not segregated as it is today. They all got along back then until the early 60's. It just that Hollywood was 98% white. Now, if you go go to Mid Wilshire, it's no diversity at all.
Mid-Wilshire is one of the most ethnically and racially diverse neighborhoods in the USA.

Mid-Wilshire Profile - Mapping L.A. - Los Angeles Times

I

Old 01-02-2012, 09:59 PM

3,885 posts, read 5,993,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post

FYI, the L.A. CityData forum has a disproportionate amount of Valley people.
I know. I'm one of those proud "Valleyistas"!

Old 01-03-2012, 08:25 AM

1,045 posts, read 1,542,473 times
Quote:
You got me all wrong! There were hispanics and blacks in the downtown area as well in South-Central and Eastside. It had great diversity with whites mixed in, not segregated as it is today. They all got along back then until the early 60's. It just that Hollywood was 98% white. Now, if you go go to Mid Wilshire, it's no diversity at all. It's all hispanics as if you were in the 3rd world. I just don't want to be there at all now. I like diversity like they had in the 50's, not a Mexican LA or a third world LA!
They all got along unitl the early 1960's? Are you kidding? You appear to long for a day when blacks and hispanics "knew their place" and whites (non-hispanic) were the majority.

And as Majoun posted, Mid-Whilsire is a plurality white so sounds like you have not been to LA in a long time or just hate the idea that a WASP dominated LA is a thing of the past.

Old 01-03-2012, 11:19 AM

1,182 posts, read 947,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron Cayman View Post
Do we have any CD members here who are of age to remember Los Angeles area (or even O.C.) back in the 50's/60's? I have family there and, the times that I have been to visit, I have, of course, only seen the modern day urban, sprawling So.Cal.

I'd be very interested to know what it was like back then, in simpler times, when L.A. and SoCal wasn't so over populated, etc....I'll bet it was totally awesome back then.
If you watch "Dragnet" and the "Brady Bunch", you can get a feeling for life back then. Much less crime, English was the dominant language back then, the OC did not really have much because all the white people still lived in L.A. back then and the schools in Los Angeles were among the best in the country.

Old 01-03-2012, 11:33 AM

1,182 posts, read 947,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
The 405 in the Sepulveda Pass 1962.

Now Less smog
Now I think it is more expensive for housing per earning dollar but not sure
Now traffic on the 101 in the west San Fernando Valley (to the Conejo Valley and the Oxnard Plain) flows east to west in the mornings and west to east in the afternoon. It used to be the opposite.
Then many more aerospace companies in the San Fernando Valley: Lockheed, Hughes, Teledyne. Rocketdyne and Litton (Northrop Grumman) are basically the last of the glory days.
There was no such thing as a snowboard.
Then Dodger Stadium was about $3 for top deck and the outfield pavilions.
Then Anyone could afford a hockey ticket.
Air Raid sirens were tested last Friday of the month at 10AM.
One area code 213
LAX was single deck

Reseda (Gilmore and Jumilla streets looking north) Late 1950s

Hollywood Bowl Late 1950s

Tampa and Victory looking northwest early 1960s

Sherman Way and Topanga looking North East 1953 (From CSUN Digital Library)

Chatsworth Park South 1955 (From CSUN Digital Library)

Hidden Hills 1953 (From CSUN Digital Library)

"Hey dad, did you get our Dodger Dogs?" (Dodger Stadium 1962)

Wrigley Field in Los Angeles where the Los Angeles Angels of the Pacific Coast League played 1926 to 1957. It was located at at 42nd Place and Avalon Boulevard, basically on the other side of the 10 freeway from the Coliseum. The Los Angeles Angels of the American League (completely different franchise from the LA Angels of the PCL who moved to Spokane in 1958) played their first season here in 1961 then moved to Chavez Ravine (the Angel organization didn't call it Dodger Stadium) in 1962 where they played until Anaheim Stadium was built in 1967. I think it was then that the Los Angeles Angels (AL) became the California Angels.

Night Game at Los Angeles Wrigley Field

Demolition of Wrigley Field. Downtown Los Angeles in the background behind left field.

Anaheim Stadium (The Big "A") under construction. It was later enclosed for the Rams and then re-opened in the outfield to its present configuration. Amongst the most spotlessly clean stadiums I have ever been to.

Gilmore Field in Los Angeles, Home of the Hollywood Stars. Gilmore Field sat between Gilmore Stadium (a football field) and the famous Pan-Pacific Auditorium, along Beverly Boulevard. Must have been tough for a pitcher like at this time of the day as he is almost looking into the sun and pitching into a shadow. Left field points east.

Here's a good shot of Farmers Market, Gilmore Stadium, and Gilmore Field. CBS Television City is about there now. That is 3rd and Fairfax in the immediate foreground.

Mt Baldy Ski Lifts maybe 1959. The woman in the lower center of the picture is my mom.

San Gabriel Mission late 50s early 60s
Wow! That brings back a few memories. We did have area code 714 back then for part of L.A. and OC. I remember it from the 60s because Sgt Joe Friday on Dragnet had a badge with the same number on it (coincidence? don't know). And Wrigley Field was moved to Chicago (lol)!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or