U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2009, 11:43 PM

5,607 posts, read 20,184,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
that is what I thought, I would say So Pasa, Pasadena and yes, Monterey Park and Alhambra would work depending on how much rent you want to shell out.. I don't know if I would want to go as far west as the valley or downtown..

Nita
Is it strictly Chinese/Asians who live in Monterey Park? Are there any white people at all (who aren't senior citizens who have lived there forever) there? Or even Alhambra? I really like the San Gabriel valley in general, but from what I've observed lately it seems like it's strictly segregated ethnically.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2009, 04:41 AM

69,278 posts, read 79,447,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
Is it strictly Chinese/Asians who live in Monterey Park? Are there any white people at all (who aren't senior citizens who have lived there forever) there? Or even Alhambra? I really like the San Gabriel valley in general, but from what I've observed lately it seems like it's strictly segregated ethnically.
I think you are pretty much right about that, Monterey Park, Alhambra and even So Pasa has been changing over the past 20 years..

I was thinking more about areas for the OP to live that would be close to work and he said he had been thinking about Pasa, So Pasa, etc. I don't know what his ethenticity might be..

Nita

Old 03-04-2009, 04:43 AM

69,278 posts, read 79,447,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali-Bound? View Post
The campus is located off of Huntington and Soto -

Price wise...what is the best $ for town and closeness to Health Science Campus?

South Pas?
Monteray Park?
Alhambra?
Downtown?
Highland Park?
Are you going to buy or rent? Are you single or married, with or without kids? So Pasadena would be the most expensive, Highland Park probably the least.

Nita

Old 03-04-2009, 08:48 AM

12,977 posts, read 28,803,617 times
OP, in the pharmaceutical building right near the volleyball court on the first level you can find a bulletin board where students post flyers where they are looking for roommates. I think you may also find a similar board near the bookstore that is near the cafeteria.

Old 03-04-2009, 10:33 AM

559 posts, read 1,075,526 times
Quote:
Hey,

I am looking to go to grad school at USC Health Science Campus - I hate traffic and want to really make my quality of life optimal...any suggestions where to live when commuting to the Health Science campus? I've looked at South Pasadena, and Pasadena, all which appeal to me. Any by the beach places that wouldn't be a ridiculous commute?

Any ideas? Throw 'em my way! Thanks!
Quote:
Price wise...what is the best $ for town and closeness to Health Science Campus?

South Pas?
Monteray Park?
Alhambra?
Downtown?
Highland Park?
The Gold Line (light rail) runs through both Pasadena and South Pasadena so it would be possible to get to the HSC (Health Science Campus) without a car. You'd have to then take a bus to HSC from either Union Station or the Chinatown stop--it's too far to walk. The Gold Line stops running around midnight so if you have late night experiments, you might want to take the car to prevent being stranded.

Many people who work/study at HSC live in Pasadena, South Pasadena, Alhambra, Monterey Park, Highland Park. It's a relatively painless commute along Huntington Drive or Valley Blvd. They can get crowded but it's always moving. It could be as short as a 15 minute trip.

Pasadena is pretty big and the more south and west that you go (i.e. closer to South Pasadena) will shorten your commute. Prices will probably be all over the place as will the safety factor, although I've walked around the reputed "bad parts" (e.g. far north along Fair Oaks Ave.) during the day without feeling like I was gambling with my life.

As mentioned previously, South Pasadena will be expensive although it is close, very nice, and very safe albeit sleepy.

Alhambra is close, probably more reasonable and definitely livelier than South Pas. Demographically, it is heavily Chinese with a sizable Latino population followed by Whites and then Blacks. Main St. and Valley Blvd. have gobs of shops and eateries and are always busy. There is an Alhambra thread going on right now in the Los Angeles forum which might interest you.

Downtown L.A. is very close to the HSC (less 5 miles) so it's not an unreasonable choice. Also, Downtown is undergoing somewhat of a Renaissance so it's no longer a ghost town after 5 P.M. I don't know if it is affordable to someone on a graduate stipend, however. Downtown would also place you between the HSC and the UPC (University Park Campus, aka main campus) which might be convenient since you will likely be also taking classes on the UPC. There is a convenient shuttle service between the two campuses.

There are people who live on the westside, which will bring you closer to the beach and more nightspots. I did know a post-doc who lived in Torrance (in the South Bay and a long commute on congested freeways), solely for convenient access to surf spots before coming into the lab. What are your priorities for optimizing your quality of life? Bars? Bands? Hiking? Museums?

Since you may not necessarily be on a 9 to 5 schedule, you could be in a position to avoid the worst traffic, even if you live at a distance. For instance, since the HSC is right off the 10 and 5 freeways, if you live along either, it can be a relatively quick commute if you can go during off-peak hours. With traffic, better bring your books on tape copy of "War and Peace." The 10 will give you a straight shot to the westside.

Hope this helps.

Old 03-08-2009, 12:13 PM

9 posts, read 24,809 times
Downtown, Boyle Heights, El Sereno. I work downtown and lived downtown up until a year ago when I moved to Boyle Heights just on the other side of the 4th St bridge. I have loved living in both areas. Downtown has mostly single and young couples with everything in walking distance, including Ralphs (grocery store), and something to do every day of the week. Fantastic energy. Boyle Heights is more family oriented, ethnic and suburb-like.

El Sereno, just south of Passdena would be close to USC Health & Science, but it's also more of a suburb-like area and certain areas should be avoided. You can go to LAPD.org and get crime stats for all these areas.

Old 03-09-2009, 01:49 PM

3 posts, read 11,388 times
Thank you all so much for youre suggestions, it so appreciated! It is helpful to have inside info. when coming from out of state. I am very interested in the outdoors: hiking, biking, would love to try surfing, etc. If I decide USC I will be coming from Colorado, so I would love to be able to escape the city-life pretty easily if possible without too much of a commute. Safe neighborhoods are important, as well as having more of a lively area to live in with opportunities for shops, restaurants, etc. Price point is important but would be looking anywhere around $1200 to $2000/month for a 1 bedroom apartment/condo/townhouse most likely. Feel free to keep posting suggestions! Thank you all so much!

Old 03-09-2009, 02:39 PM

10,630 posts, read 22,748,468 times
I don't know that I'd call South Pasadena "sleepy," or not lively, or if so, I'd clarify that South Pasadena is VERY livable in terms of having plenty of shops and restaurants (not to mention the Gold Line) in town. It's very safe and very pretty and has a nice downtown area and a great Thursday night farmer's market. It feels more like a self-contained small town than some of the areas mentioned. While it's a more expensive area, there are still good deals to be found. It is less lively in the sense that there's not as much nightlife (it's a pretty family-dominated kind of place) although there are a lot of nice restaurants and wine bars if you like that sort of thing.

I would take a close look at Alhambra, too. Parts of it are kind of ugly and non-descript, while other neighborhoods are filled with nice houses and apartment buildings within easy walking distance of tons of things. You don't have the Gold Line access, but you'd be a little closer to your school. It's an interesting area and very diverse.

I've never lived downtown, but finding a place in your price range that offers parking (I assume you're planning on keeping the car) could be difficult. It's an interesting area, though, and certainly something to consider. There are different neighborhoods of downtown, but from my limited viewpoint of a (frequent) visitor but not a downtown resident I really like Little Tokyo as well as the area along Broadway. (and, for what it's worth, let me just say that the downtown library is my favorite public library anywhere - not only do they have a fantastic collection and a beautiful building, but they also have lots of interesting lecture series as well as exhibits on all sorts of topics. Best value in town!)

While you might not be living next to a beach, I think you'll really enjoy the other convenient outdoors activities to be found in the San Gabriel Valley (or east LA). And, of course, you'll still be able to easily visit the beach on your days off.

Old 03-09-2009, 03:53 PM

5,607 posts, read 20,184,784 times
Quote:
Thank you all so much for youre suggestions, it so appreciated! It is helpful to have inside info. when coming from out of state. I am very interested in the outdoors: hiking, biking, would love to try surfing, etc. If I decide USC I will be coming from Colorado, so I would love to be able to escape the city-life pretty easily if possible without too much of a commute. Safe neighborhoods are important, as well as having more of a lively area to live in with opportunities for shops, restaurants, etc. Price point is important but would be looking anywhere around $1200 to $2000/month for a 1 bedroom apartment/condo/townhouse most likely. Feel free to keep posting suggestions! Thank you all so much!
I'm from Colorado too. And going back after I graduate USC (the main Univ. Park campus) in May. I've decided to toss in the towel. Are you sure you want to move to LA?

South Pasadena is a very, very sleepy, quaint, antique-ville kind of town. Beautiful neighborhoods. Its advantage is that it has a very good, quiet location, close to a lot of bigger and better things. In fact if I was to stay in LA and had to work downtown, living in South Pasadena and taking the Gold line in would be a potential candidate.

For hiking, you'll probably want to go up Hwy 2 (Angeles Crest Highway), it goes deep into the San Gabriel mountains. The entrance is in La Canada Flintridge (what a mouthful) which as far as I can tell is a nice town but doesn't look like a place for a student to live, but it's not too far from Pasadena. Other hiking spots I've discovered in the San Gabriel mountains are Chantry flat/ Santa Anita Canyon (take road north of Sierra Madre), HWY 39 north of Azusa (there's an 8 mile long paved bike path up there in a canyon), and also at Mt Baldy (north of Claremont). San Gabriel mountains are actually really nice, only problem is during the summer the smog backs right up to them, it gets pretty disgusting.

Old 03-16-2009, 03:46 PM

77 posts, read 263,925 times
Many tend to live in Alhambra, South Pasadena, and Pasadena. At least your down time wouldn't be boring living in these cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or