U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 09:26 AM

61 posts, read 150,786 times

Advertisements

(A) Where to rent an apartment from?
Top choice is Valencia, but what about Saugus, Humphreys, and Mint Canyon? I've heard to avoid Newhall and Canyon Country.

(B) Recreation
--Gyms: my college had an olympic size lap pool. anywhere I can find a decent one in SC?
--College of Arts: any "fun" classes to take?
--Santa Clarita River: is it always dry?

(C) anything else for 20s singles?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2009, 09:32 AM

3,681 posts, read 5,381,429 times
Valencia is probably the best. Stevenson Ranch is a good safe area and has some nice apts but it is primarily a family community, although just a very short drive to Valencia. Try the Athletic Center or the Aquatic Center for swimming. There is also a YMCA in Valencia. I, myself, can't even see my 20's in my rear view mirror so can't help you with fun "20 something" things to do. Good luck!

Old 03-03-2009, 11:18 AM

26,346 posts, read 80,765,097 times
Here is a great resource for swimmers. I use it all the time when I go on travel.

Swimmers Guide - Find a Pool

Old 03-03-2009, 05:04 PM

448 posts, read 1,339,775 times
You are correct about avoiding Newhall and Canyon Country. Overall Santa Clarita is a very safe neighborhood, but if you can afford Valencia, Saugus, Stevenson's Ranch, by all means go to those areas.

Speaking from personal experience, my mom lives up in Santa Clarita and was robbed recently at the Stater Brother's in Canyon Country. The Newhall area is the oldest area of Santa Clarita, closest to Sylmar. It has some areas that remind me of Panorama City with the customized (non-uniform) store fronts and some nicer areas that look more like Valencia. If there are burglaries or violent crimes in Santa Clarita, they'll usually be located in Newhall. That's been my experience.

Hope that helps.

Old 03-03-2009, 05:10 PM

448 posts, read 1,339,775 times
About the nightlife, the area is very conservative so there isn't really much to do in terms of clubbing. I went to college out there at College of the Canyons about 7 years ago and made a lot of good friends. The places we would usually hang out were near the Valencia Town Center, which is gorgeous. It is both an indoor and outdoor mall. As you may or may not know, Santa Clarita is very spread out so plan on driving everywhere. There are some nice shops along Valencia Blvd...I'm not sure if the Ben and Jerry's is still there, but I remember enjoying them very much. Ahh...memories.

Old 03-04-2009, 11:06 AM

3 posts, read 6,384 times
there is not much for young people to do out here. i have lived here my entire 20 years. you should stick to trying to live in valencia, if not then try saugus. Valencia is the closest to what little there is to do there. there is the movies, mall, magic mountain, and trails you can go walking on. if you are looking for a huge pool to swim in you should join la fitness as they have the biggest pool out of all gyms. There really is no night life here but the good thing is you are not too far from hollywood and other remote towns for night life. this is more of a family town. not really for young people.

Old 03-04-2009, 09:25 PM

4,818 posts, read 10,534,436 times
yeah, santa clarita is a good area. it's an ex-urb of LA. it has some of LA's suburbs and boom-burbs surrounding it. since it has six flags you can bet there is alot for young ppl in the area

Old 04-19-2009, 11:11 AM

3 posts, read 7,151 times
Default Moving to Santa Clarita......

Ok, so here goes my question about Santa Clarita...

My husband and I want a nice and safe home to move to in Santa Clarita. We're currently in Houston and find it not pretty and its boring and we are actually tired of dealing with the yearly hurricanes. This move would be a result of a new job.

I just want my kids to be raised in a good community with great family values. Is Santa Clarita, a really liberal city? or is there alot of family values, and even a small hometown feel as I have read on other posts?

Obviously, we want to raise our kids in an environment that is safe, and not a lot of the.....My kid is better at this or that than your kid, etc. the we have a bigger house than you.... You know the game.. Please just some great insight would be wonderful

Thanks for replying.. Obviously, this would be a huge change for us!

Old 04-19-2009, 11:15 AM

26,346 posts, read 80,765,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amylala View Post
Ok, so here goes my question about Santa Clarita...

My husband and I want a nice and safe home to move to in Santa Clarita. We're currently in Houston and find it not pretty and its boring and we are actually tired of dealing with the yearly hurricanes. This move would be a result of a new job.

I just want my kids to be raised in a good community with great family values. Is Santa Clarita, a really liberal city? or is there alot of family values, and even a small hometown feel as I have read on other posts?

Obviously, we want to raise our kids in an environment that is safe, and not a lot of the.....My kid is better at this or that than your kid, etc. the we have a bigger house than you.... You know the game.. Please just some great insight would be wonderful

Thanks for replying.. Obviously, this would be a huge change for us!

Santa Clarita is fine. Even though it is hot, it isn't as hot as Houston, more of a dry heat.

Where are your jobs?

Old 04-19-2009, 11:30 AM

3 posts, read 7,151 times
Hi Charles,

Thank you for replying! My husand would work in Valencia.. Im a stay at home mom-but I will proably go back to teaching next year as the kiddos are in both in school now....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles