Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 06:04 AM

1 posts, read 3,801 times

Advertisements

I am moving to the LA in about a month from South Africa. I am a self-confessed yuppie (dunno if anyone admits to that anymore). Im 35 single, white, straight, Jewish and wondering if anyone can give me advice on which neighberhood in LA offers the best, safest, most fun, happening place to live for someone like me. Any other advice or wizdom would also be gr8.

Thanks in advance....Laz
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2009, 06:33 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,739,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lflyntt View Post
which neighberhood in LA offers the best, safest, most fun, happening place to live for someone like me.

Where will your job be?
Housing budget?

Search the threads for several posts very much the same as yours.

Old 03-05-2009, 06:45 AM

672 posts, read 2,174,801 times
It is not a particularly happening neighborhood, but, a pretty, well kept, centrally located Jewish neighborhood is Pico-Robertson south of Beverly Hills. It is more or less centered on the intersection of Pico Blvd and S Robertson Blvd.

Old 03-05-2009, 07:54 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
Depending on where you will be working and your price range I would suggest parts of San Fernando Valley, but there are many areas in So Ca that have a fairly heavy Jewish population. I hadn't thought about the area near Beverly Hills, at one time the west side was predominately Jewish..

I have a cousin who converted and he lives in the area just south of Beverly Hills, of course he can afford it, that will enter into your decision.

Nita

Old 03-05-2009, 08:15 AM

1,287 posts, read 5,024,102 times
Santa Monica
Brentwood
Westwood
Beverly Hills
Fairfax District/Miracle Mile
Studio City
Sherman Oaks
Encino

All of these areas resemble your demographic profile very closely.

Old 03-05-2009, 09:13 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealAngelion View Post
Santa Monica
Brentwood
Westwood
Beverly Hills
Fairfax District/Miracle Mile
Studio City
Sherman Oaks
Encino

All of these areas resemble your demographic profile very closely.
Sherman Oaks and Fairfax were the two areas I was trying to think of. Hope your suggestions helps the OP.

Old 03-05-2009, 07:13 PM

1,297 posts, read 5,508,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lflyntt View Post
I am moving to the LA in about a month from South Africa. I am a self-confessed yuppie (dunno if anyone admits to that anymore). Im 35 single, white, straight, Jewish and wondering if anyone can give me advice on which neighberhood in LA offers the best, safest, most fun, happening place to live for someone like me. Any other advice or wizdom would also be gr8.

Thanks in advance....Laz
If you plan on working in the valley. go with Studio City, Sherman Oaks, Encino, Tarzana, Woodland Hills.

If you plan on working on the westside of town in santa monica, go with santa monica. If you plan on working in Beverly Hills or LA downtown, go with the fairfax area, robertson, east beverly hills.

If you have to walk everywhere on Saturday, go with Fairfax area.

Old 03-05-2009, 08:10 PM

938 posts, read 4,093,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike121 View Post
It is not a particularly happening neighborhood, but, a pretty, well kept, centrally located Jewish neighborhood is Pico-Robertson south of Beverly Hills. It is more or less centered on the intersection of Pico Blvd and S Robertson Blvd.
I agree with everything else, but that area is filthy !

The people of that area keep it in a appalling condition; there's all sorts of rubbish/debris, food, slaughtered chicken feathers/excrement (yes, there is a holiday when they slaughter chicken by spinning them until they die), graffiti, etc over there.

And that's just the commercial corridor (Pico), the residential streets (Shenandoah, Sherbourne, etc) all have dingy-looking multistory apartments, often replete with crude add-on's and visually displeasing stucco, lots of potholes, shopping carts littered everywhere, dog waste etc.

BTW, here are some shots of people from that area:

prettyugly.: The Robertson Minute (http://devanwells.blogspot.com/2009/01/robertson-minute.html - broken link)

Old 03-05-2009, 08:15 PM

938 posts, read 4,093,320 times
BTW, you're going to have to be a bit more specific with your question.

There are several nabes that are good for yuppies; Venice, Los Feliz, WeHo, Miracle Mile, Santa Monica and even Palms/Mar Vista would be good for you.

Old 03-05-2009, 08:49 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,728,110 times
If you're working on the east side of town then Old Pasadena is a yuppie-friendly option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles