Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: WHO WILL YOU VOTE FOR LA MAYOR?
Antonio Villaraigosa 14 30.43%
Walter Moore 23 50.00%
Other 9 19.57%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 08:12 AM

1,287 posts, read 5,023,638 times

Advertisements

I for one cannot stand Villaraigosa so I am voting for Walter Moore in protest. Hopefully enough people will vote for the other candidates to force a runoff. Then perhaps Tony will realize his job is at stake and will finally debate and account for his record.

I have yet to see a poll on this election. Tony has the LA Times in his pocket and when they endorsed him they did not include a place for people to share their comments and reactions so they don’t seem to be interested in what the public thinks.

So if you are an LA city resident or live in the LA area, what do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2009, 08:35 AM

570 posts, read 1,582,569 times
The last person that will have my vote is Villaraigosa, He is the worst of the worst.

Old 02-27-2009, 08:43 AM

2,318 posts, read 7,842,045 times
I don't like a lot of Moore's stances on policies regarding growth and transit... so I'm going with Villar. I like how Villaraigosa has pushed the city to develop in corridors along transit lines, rather than haphazardly or fighting development altogether. I also like the emphasis he has put on mass transit (subway/light rail). Not to mention the bolstering of the LAPD that has occurred under his watch. I'm interested to hear the reasons behind those who don't like Villar. Maybe I can get some new perspective...

Old 02-27-2009, 10:17 AM

7,226 posts, read 22,187,529 times
i can't vote for LA mayor because I live in Santa Monica, but if I could, I'm not sure who I would vote for. I hear all of these horror stories about Villaraigosa, but I honestly don't see him as any worse of a mayor than Hahn. He may be out grandstanding all the time, but atleast he's being proactive. I may be a bit naive here, but I'd really like to hear from others in the know what makes Tony V. such a bad mayor. Obviously getting caught in an affair isn't good and the whole school take over thing was a mess, but other than that it does seem like he is trying. I've also heard some people say he is overly sympathetic towards illegal immigrants, but hasn't this city been that way for the past 30 some odd yeas?

Old 02-27-2009, 10:56 AM

5,032 posts, read 12,606,184 times
The crime rate has lowered significantly under Villaraigosa watch [he was instrumental in bringing Bratton from NYC]. An increase in LAPD has shown results & LA has a lower crime rate than most large cities in America. Villaraigosa has been in DC 3 times since Obama became president. A strong Democrat, Antonio is a vital link to both Sacramento [Schwarzenegger's mayor] & most importantly to Washington [Pelosi-Reid constituents live within 300 miles of LA]. Villaraigosa asked for support & got 2 major rail projects [LA to San Francisco & LA to Las Vegas bullet trains are in Obama's stimulus budget

Villaraigosa did not get control of the school district due to judicial review & some union concerns. Downtown LA has seen the most growth & revitalization since Villaraigosa became alcalde de Los Angeles. But he has not been able to bring the NFL back [a major ache]. Hollywood looks better & the TV industry is happy with LA. I look forward to more transit improvement with rail beyond just the Exposition Line.

Old 02-27-2009, 11:02 AM

448 posts, read 1,605,424 times
I agree with LASam. Moore's position on the Community Redevelopment Agency is on the wrong side of progress. Not only that, he's a Republican. I don't expect the residents of Los Angeles to vote for a Republican; he would have to be a celebrity like Arnold. Even though Moore states he's pro-choice and pro-gay like Villaraigosa, I suspect Angelinos will be turned off by the "R" next to Moore's name.

Old 02-27-2009, 11:13 AM

5,032 posts, read 12,606,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamescheeky View Post
I agree with LASam. Moore's position on the Community Redevelopment Agency is on the wrong side of progress. Not only that, he's a Republican. I don't expect the residents of Los Angeles to vote for a Republican; he would have to be a celebrity like Arnold. Even though Moore states he's pro-choice and pro-gay like Villaraigosa, I suspect Angelinos will be turned off by the "R" next to Moore's name.
Agree entirely. There really isn't a Republican candidate since the GOP will not support Moore & waste $. In California and especially LA, Republicans only get elected if Democrats vote for them [ie Schwarzenegger\ Riordan].

Old 02-27-2009, 11:40 AM

705 posts, read 3,297,061 times
Villaraigoza, happ stated all the reasons why. On Moore's side, this guy is setting up the city for even worse problems according to what he is focusing on. How can you preserve low density in a city that is growing constantly?? Even developers around the country take notice in the fact that L.A.'s days of expansion horizontally are gone.

End.

Old 02-27-2009, 02:03 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,661,015 times
moore is a joke. if elected he would fire bratton and replace him with arpaio from AZ.

why would he replace bratton? bratton has done a lot to reduce crime in LA.

moore has some looney tunes ideas. they wont pan out. and i am glad he will not be LA's next mayor.

i wish other serious candidates existed, but in the meantime, Villaraigosa aint doing all that bad. his LAUSD takeover annoyed the hell out of me, but he has doen lots to improve public trans. now they (city hall) just need to act on car congestion and pollution.

im OK with another AV term.

Old 02-27-2009, 03:24 PM

21 posts, read 44,554 times
VOTING needs to be taught internationally. Sorry, that I do not have a direct answer, since I am an overseas regular writer to City-World.
Vote not the candidate, with all sorts of promises. We know this,but forget.
Compare the past and current candidate to whom you are planning to vote for.
Not all are same in character and "delivery of promises". CHOOSE by validation.
DO NOT simply vote a person because your in-laws urged you to.

Last edited by ThiruselvamK; 02-27-2009 at 03:36 PM.. Reason: spelling errors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles