U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 09:28 PM

52 posts, read 131,793 times

Advertisements

CSULA isn't really a great school and the location isn't the safest, especially coming from Pennsylvania and being unfamiliar with the area. The college and the area are mostly Hispanic. Would your daughter fit in or feel comfortable with that?

She should look into Santa Monica College instead. I know it's a community college, but it's a really great school in a safe area. A lot of people I went to high school with in Calabasas went to SMC. It has a lot of out of state students, unlike CSULA, so your daughter might feel like she can fit in better. It also has an extremely high transfer rate to UCLA and USC (something like 90%).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2009, 01:07 AM

15,088 posts, read 16,929,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmharris View Post
My 18 year old daughter was accepted to cal state at los angeles. We live in Pennsylvania and do not want her to go. I am worried about safety? The college web site has several alarming incidents and I want to know about the saftey in this area.
Cal State LA? Aside from the safety issue, I imagine there are schools in Pennsylvania or the surrounding states that would provide an equal, if not superior, education. I wouldn't go across the country for Cal State LA.

Old 03-07-2009, 10:04 AM

1,308 posts, read 3,597,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
Cal State LA? Aside from the safety issue, I imagine there are schools in Pennsylvania or the surrounding states that would provide an equal, if not superior, education. I wouldn't go across the country for Cal State LA.
It is absurd and a waste of money to travel almost 3000 miles to go to CSULA.

BTW, it is not a bad area. 5 minutes north is an even better area.

Old 03-07-2009, 02:50 PM

38,803 posts, read 19,564,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmharris View Post
My 18 year old daughter was accepted to cal state at los angeles. We live in Pennsylvania and do not want her to go. I am worried about safety? The college web site has several alarming incidents and I want to know about the saftey in this area.
I'd hate to knock that I am an alumni of but I would not recommend CSULA for an out of state student, especially if she is unfamiliar with the area. If she feels strongly about CSULA, then a visit to the campus is a must to get a feel for the area. If she makes plans to attend CSULA without first visiting the campus, I can almost guarantee that she will be disappointed. As numerous posters stated, it isn't the greatest of areas and it isn't a prestigious university. I only went there for my graduate degree because of location convenience and because it had my specific major.

Was she accepted into other universities besides CSULA?

Old 03-07-2009, 09:20 PM

82 posts, read 293,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTGJR View Post
I'm not sure why the whole USC thing raised it's head. The OP was asking, specifically, about Cal State LA.
I'm just excited to see that people are using the term "mugged" again.

Old 03-07-2009, 09:23 PM

17,449 posts, read 22,948,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
The area that Philly's Temple University is located in makes CSULA's area look great and very safe by comparison.....

Old 03-08-2009, 12:55 AM

4,818 posts, read 10,530,365 times
CSU LA is in Boyle Heights, it's in the urban downtown area. Inner city LA.

CSU Northridge is in Northridge, the San Fernando Valley area. the inner suburb of LA.

basically northridge is the part of LA to be in. csu la is the part of LA not to be in.

Old 03-08-2009, 01:05 AM

17,449 posts, read 22,948,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
CSU LA is in Boyle Heights, it's in the urban downtown area. Inner city LA.

CSU Northridge is in Northridge, the San Fernando Valley area. the inner suburb of LA.

basically northridge is the part of LA to be in. csu la is the part of LA not to be in.
CSULA isn't in Boyle Heights, but it is in East L.A. While it's hardly the worst part of East L.A., the area does have its "issues" (and is quite dead at night). I'd consider USC's neighborhood to be worse, though. CSU Dominguez Hills isn't in a very good part of town being between Carson and Compton, and although I'm not familiar with the area I'd imagine there are some issues in the surrounding neighborhoods because both are regarded as pretty nasty areas. CSUN is in a safe (albeit boring) neighborhood although not far from some bad areas. UCLA is in the best neighborhood of any of LA's major colleges, and not close to any bad parts of L.A. It is harder to get into than CSUN. As I've said before, however, CSUN (like CSULA) is a thoroughly mediocre "glorified high school" and I have a pretty low opinion of it. IMO CSU Long Beach (Steven Spielberg's alma mater amongst many other notables) is the best CSU in L.A. county for quality of education. The neighborhood it's located in also seems decent although I'm not an expert on LBC.

Old 03-08-2009, 03:37 AM

15,088 posts, read 16,929,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
The area that Philly's Temple University is located in makes CSULA's area look great and very safe by comparison.....
Perhaps. And I will concede that the area around CSULA is safer than the area around Temple University - because I really don't know. But the basis of my statement is not whether CSULA is safer (or not) than universities like the one you mentioned. My question is whether an education at Cal State LA worth going across the country to attend. I think it is not and that there must be other universities within 500 miles or less of any location in Pennsylvania that are better than CSULA.

Old 03-08-2009, 08:28 AM

1,308 posts, read 3,597,055 times
Mike has it on the money.
The L.A. area has very few universities. The east coast has tons.
If you can get into UCLA or USC then it is worth coming here; otherwise it is a waste of money to come here just to go to CSU.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles