Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 07:12 AM

1 posts, read 4,669 times

Advertisements

My 18 year old daughter was accepted to cal state at los angeles. We live in Pennsylvania and do not want her to go. I am worried about safety? The college web site has several alarming incidents and I want to know about the saftey in this area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2009, 08:09 AM

1,248 posts, read 3,509,550 times
Its not located in the greatest of areas (Boyle Heights), but neither is USC and they seem to do okay.

Old 03-06-2009, 08:28 AM

1,786 posts, read 6,899,782 times
My daughter was accepted there as well- we live in LA. Of the 7 acceptances she's received thus far, CSULA would rank at the bottom.

Old 03-06-2009, 08:40 AM

2,318 posts, read 7,845,698 times
From what I understand... it's more of a commuter school and is in a fairly rough area. Now if she got accepted to UCLA or Cal State Northridge/Fullerton.... that may be a different story.

Old 03-06-2009, 12:35 PM

1,248 posts, read 3,509,550 times
If you're worried about safety, I'd say to go USC. It straddles the border between Downtown and South Central, but is fairly self-contained/unaffected by whatever gang activity that takes place in the community.

Old 03-06-2009, 12:43 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,197,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyenative01 View Post
If you're worried about safety, I'd say to go USC. It straddles the border between Downtown and South Central, but is fairly self-contained/unaffected by whatever gang activity that takes place in the community.
while usc is a well protected campus, once you venture off the actual campus you are in the 'hood. while i've met many people who went to school there who had no issues, i've also met people who have been mugged, had their stuff stolen, and had guns pointed at them. while these things can happen anywhere, it is much more likely to happen at usc.

at CSULA your daughter probably wouldn't want to live near campus, unless you're latino of course. i can see non-latino locals living there because of the cheaper rent, but for an outsider, it wouldn't be a wise decision. there are areas not too far away that would be okay (pasadena comes to mind, maybe even silver lake or los feliz). IMHO, i would look elsewhere, especially if your daughter is looking for the "college experience".

Old 03-06-2009, 01:28 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,310,736 times
This sounds like a dumb idea indeed, dmharris. I'd put the foot down if I were you. If it was Cal State Long Beach, different story.

Old 03-06-2009, 01:31 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,310,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyenative01 View Post
Sorry, but that is not true. I go to USC. There have been dozens, I repeat dozens, of USC students who have been mugged at gunpoint or knifepoint this year while coming home from campus at night-- and some of these incidents were during the day light. Many of these were literally right across the street or one block away from campus. I can start posting the police beat emails I get if you want... but I think you get the point. The gang activity definitely spills over.

Old 03-06-2009, 02:10 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,665,367 times
what are you guys talking about?!?!?!

if you want a safer neighborhood, choose CSULA over USC.

the university hills, hillside village, el sereno, alhambra area is a lot safer than the area by USC.

cal state LA is not in a bad neighborhood. it is not in boyle heights. it is perfectly fine.
do things happen on campus? or in the surrounding neighborhood? yes, but thats almost typical now. not acceptable, but still typical.

the area surrounding Cal state LA is pretty safe. safer than most other areas further out from campus. your daughter will be fine.

of course its not the most prestigious school, and it seems people go there due to convenience, but the school is still a CA university, and CA universities are some of the best, even the not so good ones.

Old 03-06-2009, 04:19 PM

1,786 posts, read 6,899,782 times
I'm not sure why the whole USC thing raised it's head. The OP was asking, specifically, about Cal State LA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles