U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2009, 08:54 PM

206 posts, read 923,847 times

Advertisements

How do you compare Santa Barbara to Manhattan Beach, for a young single professional who enjoy the outdoors?

I've read in the other post that Santa Barbara is mostly full of college students and retirees, it that somewhat true?

MB and SB are about the same sized-population, but of course UCSB has a lot of students, so the rest are just retirees (if not professors)?

I have to say that just by looking at the pictures SB is a lot more beautiful than MB with trees and being not so flat. Does that come with too many other drawbacks?

Thanks.

Last edited by wheregirl; 03-06-2009 at 09:03 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2009, 12:28 PM

1,627 posts, read 2,637,003 times
Knowing a little bit about both areas I would say Manhatten Beach has more to do as far as night life. You are close to Los Angeles. You have the strand that is a boardwalk along the beach, you can walk, ride your bicycle. Not far from LAX, within 20 mins.

Santa Barbara is geared toward the college aged people and retirees.

Old 03-11-2009, 11:56 PM

2,798 posts, read 9,704,464 times
If you enjoy the outdoors, Santa Barbara is the place over Manhattan Beach. (I happen to love Hermosa Beach! Just thought I'd throw that in. ) Santa Barbara is more than just college kids. It's a "working town" with its own hustle and bustle. Plenty enough of night life and other activities if you dig a little. But SB is not surrounded by LA, so in that respect MB offers more in terms of city life.

Old 03-17-2009, 11:24 AM

3 posts, read 11,985 times
I am a native of Manhattan Beach and lived there for 17 years but am familiar with Santa Barbara having visited countless times. I would choose Manhattan Beach mostly because you are single and the area has more to offer since there are many young professionals and it has nearby nightlife all over the South Bay (Hermosa, Redondo, etc.) You cannot turn without running into someone running, biking, roller blading, etc. It is a very health oriented town. The strand which runs along the beach for biking/running can take you from Redondo Beach to Marina del Rey and is absolutely beautiful. You are near LA havens for singles like Venice, Santa Monica, etc. Good luck, you will love it!!!

Old 03-17-2009, 12:13 PM

627 posts, read 2,730,455 times
There are a lot of pros and a few cons to both especially in comparison. Santa Barbara is beautiful and much more chill than MB and Los Angeles. There is lots to do in LA proper (which geography wise includes MB) but you also should consider the drawbacks to living in LA.

While there is a lot to do, it is the second largest city in the US, there are also a lot (A LOT!) of people. As the last poster mentioned you can't turn without running into someone (most likely not someone you know or maybe even want to know) . . . although the poster most likely wrote this regarding another point and context, the phrase describes the experience of being anywhere close to LA in general.

Let there be no mistakes here. MB or any city or town close to LA is often IN LA. You are really in another neighborhood of LA and once you choose to get on the freeway or even, for some, just to go shopping, you often deal with all that is Los Angeles. You must deal with the traffic, the high density of people, the lack of privacy, peace, and calm. Also being so close to the airport and in LA you have poor air quality. You can't always see the nasty air--as in the 1960's and 1970's--but it is still there. The trade off is you nearly vibrate with all there is to do there. Sometimes that vibration feels like a constant stress. Sometimes it feels like the world is your oyster and the question is where do you start? Sometimes they all vibrate together at the same time or alternate within a one minute period.

Traffic can often hinder how far one ventures in Los Angeles, as it can take a very long time to get places not close to home and sometimes just down the block depending on whether you need to use a thoroughfare that leads to a freeway. This is most often reality on LA's westside as the geography is self limiting and the airport MB's case would add additional limits on alternative routes.

Santa Barbara offers lots of outdoor, cultural, educational activities and is gorgeous, chill, and much more laid back. Traffic and going anywhere in general compared to MB/LA is much more enjoyable and manageable. Most everything takes you fifteen minutes or less to get to in your car and if you do not want to take your vehicle, there is a great bike path and alternative transportation. You are never far from capturing the dramatic mountains or ocean in your view. There is a lot to do here. Although there is clearly less to do than Los Angeles, you may find yourself doing more as one is not limited by traffic concerns. Yet you will not have the high level of stimulation and loads of activities, nearly to a fault, that you will in LA/MB.

People are nice and down to earth in Santa Barbara, but also mind their own business. In LA people can be cold or jerks. Others are nice especially if your get to know them over time. There are a lot of very nice people in LA, but it may take time and there is a lot of attitude in LA as you might expect. This is not at all true in my experience regarding Santa Barbara. It is easy to engage anyone in a conversation if you are an authentically nice or kind person. Or you can mind your own business. IN LA You have to surf through a lot of attitude, but it becomes second nature over time if you love the place and can see it as the double edge sword that is Los Angeles. Sometimes you may find yourself loving even that aspect. Living in Los Angeles can be a complex experience. Santa Barbara more simple and lovely. How appropriate they are so close to one another. A lot of Angelenos come to Santa Barbara for the weekend or just up for a day or two on the weekdays so the LA feel is not completely lost.

Having just moved from Brentwood/Santa Monica to Santa Barbara and having spent time in MB, I would say both have exceptional pros to living and both are excellent places to live. I would think it would come down to whether you want city life and high levels of stimulation and people in general or if you want more chill, peaceful, calm lifestyle with some action through out the week thrown in. Remember you can always drive north to SB for the chill and you can always drive south to LA for the massive stimulation and variation. So either way I think you will be fine. Both places offer lots of outdoor activities.

Good luck.

Last edited by fairweathergolfer; 03-17-2009 at 01:10 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or