U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 03-07-2009, 02:05 PM
 
6 posts, read 10,485 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

I've been a math teacher for several years in Virginia now and I am considering going to Los Angeles because my fiance lives there. However my Dad (who lives in Maryland ironically) says that because I'm white and don't know any Spainsh that I could be subject to racism and that I am putting myself in "mortal danger" if choose to move and work there. I'm sure he is exaggerating and is not aware of the real truth, so that is why I am asking, what is the real truth about LA schools right now? My Dad has also warned me about corrupt teacher unions there.

Of course I should be grateful that I am being interviewed there too. Even in these economic times I guess math teachers are still in need because I was called for an interview 3 days after I filled out the application.

Any information would be appreciated thanks.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-07-2009, 02:32 PM
 
11,151 posts, read 13,805,891 times
Reputation: 18791
There are several school districts in addition to LAUSD, so don't confine yourself just to them. Licensure may be your biggest concern, as California doesn't seem to have reciprocity with ANYone ...
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2009, 03:15 PM
 
6 posts, read 10,485 times
Reputation: 10
Well I am sure that they have ways to allow people to change their license from one state to California, I am Virginia certified myself.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2009, 03:33 PM
 
11,151 posts, read 13,805,891 times
Reputation: 18791
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinCredible8 View Post
Well I am sure that they have ways to allow people to change their license from one state to California, I am Virginia certified myself.
No, no, I'm sorry -- of course there's a way to do it, it just involves jumping through a LOT of hoops (as opposed to some states that make it easy). You might want to check out the CTC to get a head start on the process. I hold a New York state license and with three months left in the school year, my CA certification STILL isn't resolved.

Also, if you haven't yet done so, sign up at EdJoin, to look for vacancies outside of LAUSD.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2009, 04:00 PM
 
6 posts, read 10,485 times
Reputation: 10
Well at least it sounds like they let get started with the school year with the New York. But yeah I think I need to start looking up what is needed.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2009, 05:19 PM
 
Location: West Coast
1,291 posts, read 3,492,974 times
Reputation: 675
Watch the movie 187. It is enlightening. Many LAUSD schools are terrible. But there are a few good ones.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2009, 05:24 PM
 
9,716 posts, read 12,953,309 times
Reputation: 3315
Regarding Spanish: There are many languages spoken in LA. Spanish is only one of them.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2009, 07:13 PM
 
6 posts, read 10,485 times
Reputation: 10
Of course disrespectful students knows no bounds of race, ethnicity, and standard of living I'm afraid. I used to be so upset about this but I am finally accepting and trying to allow myself to have a paradigm shift in that it is indeed the teacher's job to earn the students respect in todays world.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2009, 07:17 PM
 
12 posts, read 10,842 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by vdy1985 View Post
Watch the movie 187. It is enlightening. Many LAUSD schools are terrible. But there are a few good ones.


So you base your facts off of movies, which is fiction?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2009, 07:23 PM
 
12 posts, read 10,842 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinCredible8 View Post
I've been a math teacher for several years in Virginia now and I am considering going to Los Angeles because my fiance lives there. However my Dad (who lives in Maryland ironically) says that because I'm white and don't know any Spainsh that I could be subject to racism and that I am putting myself in "mortal danger" if choose to move and work there. I'm sure he is exaggerating and is not aware of the real truth, so that is why I am asking, what is the real truth about LA schools right now? My Dad has also warned me about corrupt teacher unions there.

Of course I should be grateful that I am being interviewed there too. Even in these economic times I guess math teachers are still in need because I was called for an interview 3 days after I filled out the application.

Any information would be appreciated thanks.

Sir please know that alot of people are stereotypical about the city of Los Angeles. People think it's full of Mexicans (which it is not: it's not even that close to the border) and people also think it's crime infested which also it's not cause crime rates have went down over the past couple of years. Also people think it's downtown is bad (which it's not, it's beautiful) and so on and so on. So what you need to do is just see for your self, OK. Don't take anyone's opinion until you experience the city yourself cause if you listen to the nay sayers than you'll never know what you were missing. So please just go and visit and see for yourself.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top