U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2009, 11:50 PM

2 posts, read 3,379 times

Advertisements

my boyfriend and me are looking into moving outside of la. We havent picked a town yet, but is it possible to move there and be able to make it? i work for starbucks, i know stores are closing all over the place, but i have a good hope to finding a store there and my boyfriend is looking for some kind of carpentry.
what do people consider a good place to live? i dont want to live to into the city but not to far where its to much of a drive. also somewhere decently safe where i dont have to worry bout having my car broken into or my home. what does rent and utilities run for a 2 bedroom 1 bath apartment? we probably also are going to have a friend moving with us.

my boyfriend plans to go out there in a month to get things started for us but we need a push in the right direction. any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2009, 12:44 AM

11,151 posts, read 13,791,023 times
I wouldn't recommend moving without a job lined up ahead of time, (or plenty of savings to carry you over for a while). The L.A. area is suffering economically, just like the rest of the country.

Old 03-08-2009, 12:49 AM

106 posts, read 341,207 times
probably not, this is not a place to come without a job lined up, and a good job at that.

i make 60k, have roomates, and manage to only put maybe 10% of my paycheck into savings. I live a comfortable life though, I share a sweet house, party almost every weekend, fly around visiting college friends. I would say that 40k would be a min to live in this city with any semblence of comfort, and even then you will be having a crappy 1 br apartment in a somewhat decent area, and not have much money to blow anywhere.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 03-08-2009 at 01:03 AM.. Reason: Language

Old 03-08-2009, 06:55 AM

26,346 posts, read 80,739,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkrockerwee View Post
what does rent and utilities run for a 2 bedroom 1 bath apartment?
Check this out:

HousingMaps

Old 03-08-2009, 08:56 PM

3,853 posts, read 11,420,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by squeezeboxgal View Post
I wouldn't recommend moving without a job lined up ahead of time, (or plenty of savings to carry you over for a while). The L.A. area is suffering economically, just like the rest of the country.
Correction: CA is suffering significantly more than other areas of the country.

Old 03-08-2009, 09:18 PM

11,715 posts, read 35,005,397 times
People need to get this "live near LA, but not in LA, and drive in for work" mentality out of their heads. "LA" is not a single point on a map. Its a huge geographic region with varying degrees of "city" throughout. You can drive 50 miles or more and never leave the city of LA, much less the urbanized region of Southern California.

As for working at Starbucks and carpentry. Good luck with that. Unless you can make $200/day in tips and your boyfriend is somehow the only tradesman to still find work in a down economy where home building/renovating is virtually dead, forget about it. Besides, the trades are all owned by illegals out here who will work for crap wages.

Old 03-08-2009, 10:11 PM

3 posts, read 3,373 times
After perusing this board, I often wonder if threads like this are real or misguided attempts at comedy...

Old 03-09-2009, 12:18 AM

11,715 posts, read 35,005,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretty Tony View Post
After perusing this board, I often wonder if threads like this are real or misguided attempts at comedy...
That's a possibility. I quick search shows that this thread starter started an almost identical thread in the San Diego forum last month. She got the same responses as here and never responded. I guess she's going to keep asking in different California forums until someone tells her they'll land $150k jobs and rent is $1000/mo.

Old 03-10-2009, 07:43 PM

2,516 posts, read 7,547,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretty Tony View Post
Sadly, I think they are real, for the most part. Many people are just plain clueless about how much it really costs to live like an adult in a big city.

Old 03-10-2009, 08:14 PM

Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles del Río Porciúncula
13,545 posts, read 14,037,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katenik View Post
Many people are just plain clueless about how much it really costs to live ... in a big city.
I would rather chalk it up to irrational optimism. In our new recessed/depressed economy people can't be blamed for hoping for some way out. The OP is just one of those people for who rational pessimism hasn't struck yet.

These days it's hard to not face reality without feeling suicidal. Reality sucks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles