U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 08:24 AM

8 posts, read 12,030 times

Advertisements

the city of los angeles public works dept working under the mayors orders has told the 100 owners of mobile homes that survived the sayre fire that they will be arrested if they try to go to their homes at any time. they will deny access at all times until they have finished their work. i have been in a hotel for 100+ days waiting for the persons in charge to get this clean-up going and now it will be another 60 days of being "homeless". this is occurring at the oakridge mobile home park in sylmar. i have lost all the rights to my personal property.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2009, 11:40 AM

5,918 posts, read 6,360,265 times
Sorry to hear that, but if it does not involve any personal gain for the Mayor or a photo-op, then you'll get very little help from him.

Old 04-05-2009, 08:14 AM

that total is now up to 141 days and as of their last meeting the city of la claims to be only 50% complete. the area around my home is completely clear of debris but their is no going home, will will probably miss easter sunday there as well as the major holidays we already missed thanksgiving and christmas.

Old 04-05-2009, 07:09 PM

20 posts, read 58,678 times
What work are they doing exactly? Just debris clearance or are they doing something else?

Old 04-09-2009, 08:49 PM

they have removed all the debris and cut down the burned trees, now they are taking a day off, then they will consider what to do in some meetings, but no residents will be allowed back in. i have been covered from the first day by my fire insurance and my home is completely livable. in any other place in the nation, no one would be excluded from occupying their own home, unless it was so toxic as to be a great menace. that situation doesn't exist and never did in my section.

FEMA is using it's power to remove some ashes and debris that the rain had already settled. i am very sour as are some of the other residents i have been able to contact.

Old 04-09-2009, 08:55 PM

16,584 posts, read 32,665,987 times
Make a stink, get arrested. I'm sure the local media would jump at the chance to cover it for you. It might even go national. Make these idiots get off their asses by focusing the unblinking eye of negative publicity on them.

Old 04-10-2009, 12:22 AM

20 posts, read 58,678 times
It would make sense to keep people away immediately after the fire to prevent looting, but it has been a couple of months. I don't get it... I suggest getting together with the other residents and making yourselves heard!

Old 04-11-2009, 12:01 AM

3,040 posts, read 10,223,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Make a stink, get arrested. I'm sure the local media would jump at the chance to cover it for you. It might even go national. Make these idiots get off their asses by focusing the unblinking eye of negative publicity on them.
I don't know that I would suggest going so far as getting arrested, but I would suggest contacting the media. Ask them to cover this issue as an investigative report. I think it would be interesting to see how the "man in charge" justifies his position of keeping folks away from their own homes. While I don't normally watch broadcast news, I would be interested in this story, partly because I pass that park almost daily, and am disturbed that the residents whose homes survived have not been allowed back in.

Old 04-12-2009, 08:45 AM

thanks for commenting on this blog: i can only say that i never in my life expected to be in a situation that rivals 9/11. seriously, this fire has destroyed a whole community and i can't say how much trauma is involved. i wasn't at the trade towers, but my brother went there and looked it over. he also came to the oakridge park at my invitation and he was impressed to say the least. how my home went thru this is a stroke of luck, the wind shifted and the fire dept put out the fire that had started five feet from my place. i gave the guys from that unit a very nice mustang chainsaw in gratitude for the work they did.

when i went back there i wasn't scared at all, i had been thru the 1994 quake there and the whole block across from me had burned down. so i stuck it out and it was very nasty there, the wind blew sh all over everything. so i got back to work. but no one else did.

so that is really small fry in this big scene, but i believe there are very few 1ST hand accounts available in the aftermath. the place got a bad reputation, since the police were looking for bodies and locked the park down, so they found out it was easy to lock it down and they did it again.

then there was bruce pardo, but that is another blog altogether.

yes the christmas killer's mother was a park resident, and yes it was a good possibility that if the park had not burned he might have come looking for her with bad intent at the annual oakridge thanksgiving dinner or christmas party in the main clubhouse, and shot up a lot more oldsters.

now i am an oakridge oldster.

this is day # 148 since the fire, this is easter day and the 40th day i am locked out.

i am going to take my camera to the park and shoot some pictures from behind the wall of the area that is all cleaned up.

amazingly the oakridge management has just discovered that there are 70 burned up cars in the park that have to be signed off for before they can be removed by FEMA. it has been 148 days and they just found that out!

so that will mean the cars won't be removed until the 23rd of april or later.

i have the park directory, a small private book of numbers and i called all the numbers of the homes that survived, a total of 84 and i only reached 10 available residents.

two are very upset, three are not interested, and one is intent on entering the park on the 1st of may regardless of the consequences. i myself, i don't know yet, but i will wait until may 4th when the fema operation is finished, then i will think about trespass.

nothing is clear here, but i am away from my possessions and property=liberty and i am denied my liberty and my chance to recover.

Old 04-14-2009, 01:43 PM

22 posts, read 68,671 times
I am so sorry you have to go through this disaster. I passed your mobile home park for many years on the way to work and such. My friends parents lived there for many years and the only reason they left were because of health reasons. They loved it there at Oakridge.

LA politics stink and I am not surprised the mayor hasn't done anything to help you all. The biased media won't pay you any attention either, don't bother.

I am sorry you are denied your liberties and chance to move on. This is shameful.

Last edited by spudmom; 04-14-2009 at 01:48 PM.. Reason: cuz
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or