U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2012, 12:46 AM

15 posts, read 57,773 times

Advertisements

Worst: anything involving the 110 or 405

I commute from downtown to a fitness class in Brentwood twice a week. Only 15 miles, mind you. The only times they're held are 6:30am and 6:30pm and I am not waking up at 5am. I have to take the 10 E, which isn't so bad, but much better if I leave before 5pm. The first time I was stupid enough to listen to my GPS and take the 10 to the 405N. I know the 405 is terrible, but I thought "it's only a mile and a half..." YEAH, the first fourth of a mile on it took half an hour! Since then, I've learned to eschew that godforesaken thing and take side streets. It still takes about 45 minutes to an hour

The best is coming back. I wait until about 8 to leave and get home in 20 minutes. I try not to think about how a 45 minute class takes up about 3.5 hours of my day (including the waiting I do in the area to avoid some traffic)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2012, 08:37 AM

6,258 posts, read 10,333,059 times
Best: I am thinking around the Holidays? Especially the last week of November and December, traffic seems the lightest. Best time for a joyride on my motorcycle as well!

Worst: The one where I get killed, has not yet happened so far, knock on wood!
<<< Knocking on own head.

Old 11-09-2012, 08:40 AM

23,605 posts, read 30,340,105 times
Worst: any time I had to go to work.

Best: being retired and not having to commute at all.

Old 11-09-2012, 12:42 PM

4,212 posts, read 6,367,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trojangrlof12 View Post
Worst: anything involving the 110 or 405

I commute from downtown to a fitness class in Brentwood twice a week. Only 15 miles, mind you. The only times they're held are 6:30am and 6:30pm and I am not waking up at 5am. I have to take the 10 E, which isn't so bad, but much better if I leave before 5pm. The first time I was stupid enough to listen to my GPS and take the 10 to the 405N. I know the 405 is terrible, but I thought "it's only a mile and a half..." YEAH, the first fourth of a mile on it took half an hour! Since then, I've learned to eschew that godforesaken thing and take side streets. It still takes about 45 minutes to an hour

The best is coming back. I wait until about 8 to leave and get home in 20 minutes. I try not to think about how a 45 minute class takes up about 3.5 hours of my day (including the waiting I do in the area to avoid some traffic)
No right to complain. There are tons of fitness classes you can take near your home in Downtown and be there 5 minutes walk instead of a 3.5 hour ordeal. If I didn't have to work near downtown I would rarely go east of the 405, or even Bundy Dr..

LA's traffic has segregated us into our neighborhoods, the only reason we travel far is for work now. Work commuters can definitely complain.

Old 11-09-2012, 02:01 PM

1,238 posts, read 1,330,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
Best: I am thinking around the Holidays? Especially the last week of November and December, traffic seems the lightest. Best time for a joyride on my motorcycle as well!

Worst: The one where I get killed, has not yet happened so far, knock on wood!
<<< Knocking on own head.
Last year I moved on the day after New Year's, it was scary. There was ZERO traffic.

Old 01-23-2013, 06:26 AM

4 posts, read 13,895 times
for five years: between pico & olympic off la brea while working near media millage (melrose and highland) 9 minutes. ROCK!

Old 09-22-2013, 09:59 AM

350 posts, read 573,520 times
My current commute is my best commute, 15 minutes to my job in Irvine (Alton near Irvine Boulevard).

But I really posted so I could write about two commutes my colleagues have. One guy, lives in Pasadena takes two trains (switch in downtown) and walks 30 minutes to our building from the Irvine train station. Two hour train ride plus 30 minutes walking ONE WAY. That's five hours a day. Been doing it for eight years and had driven the previous 12. He's close to 60 so he isn't going to move with retirement so close.

The other guy, lives in Lake Elsinor; he and his wife take Ortega Highway, she drops him off then she heads to her job at Cal State Fullerton. On the way home they don't even take the 5 or the toll road - they go streets all the way through Lake Forest and Mission Viejo - 150 miles round trip each day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or