U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2009, 05:35 PM

413 posts, read 1,191,660 times

Advertisements

It has been 20+ years since I lived in LA. I want to move back and have been checking out apartments online. Most of the apartments go for over one thousand a month. Is this the norm on apartments or would I be able to find one a bit lower when I get there? I am going to have a room mate so that will help.

Old 03-14-2009, 05:39 PM

11,151 posts, read 13,819,253 times
$1,000/month would definitely be on the low end of the rental range and probably wouldn't get you more than a studio in most areas.

Old 03-15-2009, 12:30 AM

413 posts, read 1,191,660 times
That is why I am getting a roommate. The rents here in Florida are nearing that price range too. I don't know how they expect people to live. I don't need a fancy place to live. I was thinking around the Farmers' Market area. When I lived in LA before West LA was a good place to live especially near Century City Mall. Of course, this was back in the 80s. Any suggestions?

Old 03-15-2009, 04:21 AM

61 posts, read 151,045 times
*parts* of WestLA are still nice. obviously you should consider the "local" railroad track division (west Santa Monica vs. East) as well as the macro-division (Santa Monica vs. Compton).

Old 03-18-2009, 05:53 PM

85 posts, read 154,844 times
Honestly, the whole thing is annoying the crap out of me. I have been trying to get myself ready for the move for the past 2 years, and decided in January that really all I needed to do was find a place to live, and book a plane ticket. I have a bit saved up that I can use for a number of months, and put together side projects with a non industry job for a bit until things open up (I have one friend that just moved there and is doing that very thing).

But two months, and I still cant find a place??? Im not being super picky either. I just need it to be in Santa Monica or West Hollywood, a good price, and with non lame roommates from around my age. No offense to those already living there, but I have friends here in Chicago that are a lot less lame than those looking for roommates there. They either want a quiet floor enviornment (such as back in college dorn buildings ..), refuse to have a roommate who socially drinks, or clearly doesnt understand the majority of the young mainstream Hollywood personality.

Its pretty dumb too. As another poster said, its impossible to get into a situation where its not people wanting to pack like 5 guys in one room. And if you do find something nice, they only want a female roommate. Whether that be a girl wanting to room with another girl (thats acceptable), a complete loser thinking that if he gets a female roommate he can get lucky one night (lame), or someone who is so protective of themselves that they think rooming with another guy will get them mugged (lame).

No offense to anyone on here that manages a building, but some of these people are ignorant. I delt with one that I talked to on the phone, who felt the need to cut me off after every sentence that I started, and REFUSED to send me pictures of the apartment. Another who responed to my questions in e mail, but not only refused to respond to me the second time, but ignored my phone call. This all within 2 days of the Craigslist posting. Just disrespectful ... Clearly he didnt want to rent to me, and didnt have the guts to straight out say so. Because there is no way the place was rented out in one days time.

This shouldnt be difficult, but now I might have to wait until May to move

I didnt know LA was a bunch of 40 something stuck up lame accountants.

Last edited by Jer3784; 03-18-2009 at 06:20 PM..

Old 03-18-2009, 06:13 PM

1,078 posts, read 2,778,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jer3784 View Post
Honestly, the whole thing is annoying the crap out of me. I have been trying to get myself ready for the move for the past 2 years, and decided in January that really all I needed to do was find a place to live, and book a plane ticket. I have a bit saved up that I can use for a number of months, and put together side projects with a non industry job for a bit until things open up (I have one friend that just moved there and is doing that very thing).

But two months, and I still cant find a place??? Im not being super picky either. I just need it to be in Santa Monica or West Hollywood, a good price, and with non lame roommates from around my age. No offense to those already living there, but I have friends here in Chicago that are a lot less lame than those looking for roommates there. They either want a quiet floor enviornment (such as back in college dorn buildings ..), refuse to have a roommate who socially drinks, or clearly doesnt understand the majority of the young mainstream Hollywood personality.

Its pretty dumb too. As another poster said, its impossible to get into a situation where its not people wanting to pack like 5 guys in one room. And if you do find something nice, they only want a female roommate. Whether that be a girl wanting to room with another girl (thats acceptable), a complete loser thinking that if he gets a female roommate he can get lucky one night (lame), or someone who is so protective of themselves that they think rooming with another guy will get them mugged (lame).

No offense to anyone on here that manages a building, but some of these people are ignorant. I delt with one that I talked to one the phone, who felt the need to cut me off after every sentence that I started, and REFUSED to send me pictures of the apartment. Another who responed to my questions in e mail, but not only refused to respond to me the second time, but ignored my phone call. This all within 2 days of the Craigslist posting. Just disrespectful ... Clearly he didnt want to rent to me, and didnt have the guts to straight out say so. Because there is no way the place was rented out in one days time.

This shouldnt be difficult, but now I might have to wait until May to move

I didnt know LA was a bunch of 40 something stuck up lame accountants.
Are you looking from across the country only? If so, of course it is going to be a frustrating and long painful experience. I'd never rent without doing things in person.

And LA isn't full of 40 something stuck up lame accountants.

Old 03-18-2009, 06:33 PM

85 posts, read 154,844 times
I know in reality its not, but it seems that is all Im seeing. Either an older guy wanting a roommate such as himself (A LOT of families looking to pick up a few bucks), or SMC and UCLA students that have lame stipulations for who gets their place. Some stuff I have seen is silly. One guy for example had a one bedroom, and was looking to rent out his living room. He even stated "you will be sleeping on the couch". And all for what, half his rent cost? Im sorry buddy, but Im not paying the same as you, so you can sleep in a comfortable bed, while Im on the couch. If the rent was really cheap, I could understand. But half .. only a dumbass would take that (or someone just vacationing).

Im not going out there to look for places, its just not logical. Even the Holiday Inns cost about $300 a night. And for a week would add to more than a full months rent, if I had my own place. The low end $50 motels, I have been told by people that live there, to stay out because the maids steal your stuff. And its not logical to hire a broker, because Im looking for a roommate situation. Plus the seem to collect a half months rent, which is steap, considering they would be doing the same things I have been doing for the past few months.

I have done : Craigslist, Westsiderentals, Rent.com, one or two others, Couchsurfing, and a few different suggested roommate sites.

Old 03-18-2009, 07:36 PM

637 posts, read 2,873,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueyedCat View Post
I would be very careful of trying to find someone on Craigslist. I suggest getting in touch with a Property Management in that area. Maybe they could help you with your search for an apartment in the price range your looking for. But it is very expensive for the area your interested in.

I would have to agree with this 100%. Lots of scammers on craigs list trying to take advantage of others naivety...

Old 03-18-2009, 07:39 PM

11,151 posts, read 13,819,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jer3784 View Post
Im not going out there to look for places, its just not logical. Even the Holiday Inns cost about $300 a night. And for a week would add to more than a full months rent, if I had my own place. The low end $50 motels, I have been told by people that live there, to stay out because the maids steal your stuff. And its not logical to hire a broker, because Im looking for a roommate situation. Plus the seem to collect a half months rent, which is steap, considering they would be doing the same things I have been doing for the past few months.

Have you considered temporary "corporate"-style accomodations? They're more expensive than a regular apartment, but probably comparable to (or less than) a hotel, and you'd have more room. If you rent one for just a month, you could then use that time to check out places in person, which would probably make for an easier search.

Old 03-19-2009, 12:39 PM

75 posts, read 180,757 times
I would suggest looking close to UCLA, in Westwood. It's close enough to Santa Monica (if you take the bus and there are always buses because it's near the school)and not ridiculously far from Weho, there's lots in walking distance, and it's a fairly nice neighborhood.

You may have an easier time finding a place because there are a lot of students. It will also be easier for you to meet and hang out with people your age.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles