U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 03-19-2009, 01:54 PM
 
Location: South Bay Native
13,071 posts, read 21,205,087 times
Reputation: 22545

Advertisements

I think it might be a more prudent idea to locate a job here first, then find a place to stay. Without any income, you'll be on the streets in no time at all anyways, and our streets are already littered with industry hopefuls from all over. If indeed you plan to relocate to LA from another state, and work in the music industry and go surfing and live in Santa Monica or WeHo, and go to clubs to rub elbows and do all this without a car, I think you're going to have to trim down your wants list. Majorly.

Dang that MTV to all hell for poisoning the brains of our youth with Laguna Beach, The Hills, and all such sad garbage. That lifestyle is reserved for a very select few - and the list of wants appears to be a close reflection of what MTV sensationalizes as "reality".

Unemployment here is viral - and for just one minute, look at the job prospects from the employers' eyes. If they are looking for someone for an entry level music industry job, why would they hire someone from out of state, who has no car and hopes to run errands on the company's dime, in a company car at the company's liability, and no clue about the area they just moved to, when they have literally 100s of other people applying for the same position who were born and raised here, know greater LA like the palm of their hand, and have their own transportation and carry their own insurance? Surely you can see the point I am making, whether or not you like the reality of it all.

Now, if you're willing to do other work until your ship comes in, even "Burger King" work, to have an actual income and spend your free time pursuing your actual career goal, you may have a chance. I think many posters in the LA Forum have already given you sage advice - I'd take it.

 
Old 03-19-2009, 08:35 PM
 
11,151 posts, read 13,816,926 times
Reputation: 18791
^^ Excellent advice! ^^
 
Old 03-20-2009, 09:49 AM
 
830 posts, read 2,509,403 times
Reputation: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jer3784 View Post
Because there is no way the place was rented out in one days time.

Not only possible, but very likely.
 
Old 03-20-2009, 09:50 AM
 
830 posts, read 2,509,403 times
Reputation: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jer3784 View Post
Because there is no way the place was rented out in one days time.

Not only possible, but very likely. There are 15 million other people in the LA area that need an affordable place to live as well man.
 
Old 03-21-2009, 09:41 PM
 
85 posts, read 154,833 times
Reputation: 45
DontH8Me, if you are assuming that my career in the entertainment industry is solidly based off things that I have seen on TV, you can honestly Moderator cut: forget that. I have worked hard to get where I am today, whether that be in achieving educational goals (I not only have a BA in English, but also classroom experience in education, communications, and music business), or proessional goals. And to be honest, the subject matter of the thread says nothing about the job situation, or if anyone here personally thinks I am worthy of the things that I am looking for. While I appreciate all of the responses, I am simplely asking about the apartment situation.

Believe it or not, I have done my homework. Not only have a searched through the apartment market, but I have also had various conversations with people in those areas. When it comes to jobs, I would love to see you thrown into my position. I have been trying to apply for LA jobs for the past 2 years. You want to know why I am not getting them..? Ill give you a hint. It has nothing to do with me not having a car. It has nothing to do with me not being qualified. It has to do with the fact that I am an out of state resident (I cant provide a valid So Cal address), and I cannot do any form of real time networking if I am not there.

Im not deying that my situation would be rough. However, I have the money, the time, the passion, and the qualifications to make it all happen. Sure, most of it wont come to me at first, but that does not mean that I should ever give up on myself. I come from the perspective that I know (industry job or not) the job situation is going to be rough. Therefore, while I am looking for the jobs, I want to make the rest of my life as comfortable and improved as I can. I dont want to live downtown and make everything a pain in the ass for myself, just as much as I dont want to be around lame people. Im sorry, but unless you personally understand the industry personalities, you wouldnt understand how important the minor things are. And if you did .. well then why the hell are you on this forum? I know the only reaso I am is because Im not physically there yet.

Everyone on here has given great responses. Sadly, there is always one or two people that feel the need to ruin the experience for everyone. And honestly, while I get your point, I think you better understand the poster a bit better before you assume they are a tv junkie that wont ever do anthing more than work at Burger King.

EDIT : Just so you know .. The Hills and Laguna Beach are about 90% fake. I dont think ANYONE lives that lifestyle. Even the people that are on those shows have actual careers.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 03-21-2009 at 10:19 PM.. Reason: Personal attack
 
Old 03-22-2009, 07:16 PM
 
830 posts, read 2,509,403 times
Reputation: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jer3784 View Post
DontH8Me, if you are assuming that my career in the entertainment industry is solidly based off things that I have seen on TV, you can honestly Moderator cut: forget that. I have worked hard to get where I am today, whether that be in achieving educational goals (I not only have a BA in English, but also classroom experience in education, communications, and music business), or proessional goals. And to be honest, the subject matter of the thread says nothing about the job situation, or if anyone here personally thinks I am worthy of the things that I am looking for. While I appreciate all of the responses, I am simplely asking about the apartment situation.

Believe it or not, I have done my homework. Not only have a searched through the apartment market, but I have also had various conversations with people in those areas. When it comes to jobs, I would love to see you thrown into my position. I have been trying to apply for LA jobs for the past 2 years. You want to know why I am not getting them..? Ill give you a hint. It has nothing to do with me not having a car. It has nothing to do with me not being qualified. It has to do with the fact that I am an out of state resident (I cant provide a valid So Cal address), and I cannot do any form of real time networking if I am not there.

Im not deying that my situation would be rough. However, I have the money, the time, the passion, and the qualifications to make it all happen. Sure, most of it wont come to me at first, but that does not mean that I should ever give up on myself. I come from the perspective that I know (industry job or not) the job situation is going to be rough. Therefore, while I am looking for the jobs, I want to make the rest of my life as comfortable and improved as I can. I dont want to live downtown and make everything a pain in the ass for myself, just as much as I dont want to be around lame people. Im sorry, but unless you personally understand the industry personalities, you wouldnt understand how important the minor things are. And if you did .. well then why the hell are you on this forum? I know the only reaso I am is because Im not physically there yet.

Everyone on here has given great responses. Sadly, there is always one or two people that feel the need to ruin the experience for everyone. And honestly, while I get your point, I think you better understand the poster a bit better before you assume they are a tv junkie that wont ever do anthing more than work at Burger King.

EDIT : Just so you know .. The Hills and Laguna Beach are about 90% fake. I dont think ANYONE lives that lifestyle. Even the people that are on those shows have actual careers.

So when you move out here, move into your apartment, line up a job interview, how are you going to get to the interview?
 
Old 03-22-2009, 09:37 PM
 
85 posts, read 154,833 times
Reputation: 45
Hmm .. how do you think? Its not rocket science.

Gezz .. I just love how I came on here and asked for advice on finding an apartment, but got attacked on a completely different issue, because people dont like what Im working towards.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 03-22-2009 at 09:47 PM.. Reason: No discussion of Mod activity -- if you have concerns, DM the Mod or use the "report" button -- thanks.
 
Old 03-22-2009, 09:52 PM
 
11,151 posts, read 13,816,926 times
Reputation: 18791
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jer3784 View Post
Hmm .. how do you think? Its not rocket science.
It's also not terribly convenient or efficient. That's all anyone is trying to say.
 
Old 03-22-2009, 10:05 PM
 
85 posts, read 154,833 times
Reputation: 45
I I was trying to be convenient, I wouldnt move in the first place. Efficient .. well, that depends on who you ask. Either way, the thread is not about that.

I will in my defense bring over my response in another thread :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jer3784 View Post
I wanted to highlight this statement, because I dont think anyone in any state realizes the opportunities that they have, and how not everyone is going to be the standard.

While I currently live in one of the countries best cities for public transportation, I am still around tons of people that feel that it is impossible to get around without a car. When the reality is, they are so used to being road rage push overs, that they are now afraid of getting the exercise of walking, taking a bike, or even sitting on the bench waiting for a bus. Yet, even with a car they complain about travel times, traffic, and now costs. Which really blows my mind. Would you rather pay 2 bucks to ride the bus, or deal with the repairs and costs of a new car? How I put it, either way you are stuck in traffic, so you might as well be stuck in traffic and saving money at the same time. Plus, everyone is so willing to complain about high taxes. Well, go use what you are helping to pay for to your advantage, and stop complaining.

Since I am moving to LA soon and do not drive, I am given mixed reviews on this. One friend thats all the way in The Valley has told me that its impossible to get around without a car (even though she also doesnt have a car). A friend of mine in North Hollywood travels into West Hollywood and Santa Monica all the time, and says that while its rough, living can easily be done without a car. And a friend in Brentwood went as far as telling me that most people he knows get around on bikes.

I think it all just depends on your perception of money, and your personality. But people need to stop acting like people who dont drive have the automatic death card. There are a lot more of us out there than you want to believe.

While I live in a major city, LA still has a lot more to offer me. And I would rather take advatnage of that, then sit back and worry if I look cool in my highly priced car thats going to send me home in 6 months.

Good on you for already realizing all this.
 
Old 03-22-2009, 10:26 PM
 
11,151 posts, read 13,816,926 times
Reputation: 18791
Where you live (e.g. your apartment) is closely connected to where you work, and that's why it might appear that the thread has gone off-track.

All I'll say is that I was able to rent an apartment -- from the East Coast -- within two months of starting my search, so I'm not sure why it's presenting such a problem for you. Of course, I'd already lined up a job, had written verification of my salary, and was more than able to pay the rent on my own.

Also, while I did know how to drive, I arrived without a car. I spent my first five months commuting by bus/bike -- eight miles each way -- so I know what it's like. I saved my money and bought a used car (no car payments for me) and even though it costs more than taking mass transit, it's worth it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top