U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 10:44 PM

85 posts, read 154,775 times

Advertisements

The reason why I am looking at Santa Monica and West Hollywood is because that is going to be 90% likely where I will be working. And as I hear it, its not difficult to get back and forth between the two on the bus. Does it take a lot of time, sure, but not that much more than if you are driving. That is of course unless you know all the little side streets, which takes a year or two to figure out.

I have mentioned this more than once, so it shouldnt be an issue.

I am not having a hard time finding a place becuase of employment varification. Its because I cant find a place that isnt crazy expensive, and doesnt involve having lame roommates. Im sorry, but Im being forced to do a roommate set up, in a city across the country, that I have never been to before. I would like my roommates to be people that I may be able to relate to. In a nutshell, this is what Im noticing :

- we only want female roommates.

- We are going to charge you to sleep on the couch, when you are paying just as much as the guy getting a bed.

- Sober living homes, or lame people that dont allow their roommates to have active social lives.

- Most people looking for roommates are in their 30s, and lead an accountant type lifestyle.

- We live in a bad location, but are charging you just as much as if it was a good location.

Every site is almost the same. Just hop on Craigslist and look at the shares in Santa Monica and West Holywood that arent the same price as a single apartment. Its really lame. Where did all the mainstream entertainment industry personality types go? Because I cant be the only one that understands that stuff, but isnt some established millionaire .

Old 03-22-2009, 10:52 PM

11,151 posts, read 13,808,256 times
But Santa Monica and WeHo are, in general, high-priced neighborhoods -- that's why the apartments are so expensive. The "mainstream entertainment" people, who aren't millionaires, live in other neighborhoods. I'm not sure why you'd expect anything different ...

ETA: I work in Beverly Hills (which is between Santa Monica and WeHo), but my apartment is on the other side of town, because I certainly can't afford to live there.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 03-22-2009 at 11:27 PM.. Reason: Added note about job & apartment

Old 03-23-2009, 01:26 AM

106 posts, read 341,658 times
I found an apartment in LA in 3 days after moving out here. It can be done, though near impossible until you move out here. You need to spend some time in a hotel while you find a place to live.

Old 03-23-2009, 02:59 AM

And if I dont?

Do you realize that 2 days in a Santa Monica hotel costs around $700? Tack another day onto that, and I am spending what would be a full months rent with a roommate, just to stay at a hotel and look for a place. How economical is that?

I honestly think everyone is ignoring the matter at hand. And you cant have it both ways. Everyone wants to call me out because I am doing this against the odds, but in one way or another, everyones advice is to go against the odds. And I am yet to hear anyone attempt to actually address the issue, because I know everyone does not pile into one area.

The Santa Monica and West Hollywood areas are filled with younger hip people. There is USC, UCLA, SMC, and I think one or two others. Plus, with the industry being in these areas, I dont think eeryone takes the hour and a half drive to and then back from work each day, coming from The Valley to these areas. Therefore, I would not be the only one looking for a share in these areas, and it should be easier to find a match.

Ive tried basically everything besides throwing money away just to go look for a place. And after a little over 2 months of searching, Im about ready to give up, because I know with warmer months coming up, its going to get even harder. And those that do have nicer places are going to jack up the prices, just because they know they can.

Old 03-23-2009, 08:58 AM

11,151 posts, read 13,808,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jer3784 View Post
I honestly think everyone is ignoring the matter at hand. And you cant have it both ways. Everyone wants to call me out because I am doing this against the odds, but in one way or another, everyones advice is to go against the odds. And I am yet to hear anyone attempt to actually address the issue, because I know everyone does not pile into one area.
What's the issue? That you can't find a place to live? Then you need to look someplace else. End of story.

Quote:
The Santa Monica and West Hollywood areas are filled with younger hip people. There is USC, UCLA, SMC, and I think one or two others. Plus, with the industry being in these areas, I dont think eeryone takes the hour and a half drive to and then back from work each day, coming from The Valley to these areas. Therefore, I would not be the only one looking for a share in these areas, and it should be easier to find a match.
The places to look are Craigslist, Westside Rentals, online newspapers (LA Times), apartment rental websites (apartments.com, forrent.com, etc.), colleges' off-campus housing departments. You say that you've looked everywhere and done everything and you STILL can't find a place (although all those other people apparently managed to), and when we suggest that you actually come here and stay in temporary housing, you respond that you can't afford to do that.

So what do you want us to tell you?

Please tell us exactly what information you need and we'll try to help.

Old 03-23-2009, 01:05 PM

422 posts, read 1,566,140 times
Jer, you seem to want something that doesn't exist -- a cheap place in WeHo or SM -- and are unwilling to bend. So I'd say you're right. It's time to give up.

BTW, why would you have to stay in a $350/night hotel?

Old 03-23-2009, 01:37 PM

1,078 posts, read 2,775,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubancoffee View Post
Jer, you seem to want something that doesn't exist -- a cheap place in WeHo or SM -- and are unwilling to bend. So I'd say you're right. It's time to give up.

BTW, why would you have to stay in a $350/night hotel?

Yeah, no doubt. Plenty of hotels wayyyy south of $350/night.

Old 03-23-2009, 02:40 PM

830 posts, read 2,507,998 times
Quote:
The reason why I am looking at Santa Monica and West Hollywood is because that is going to be 90% likely where I will be working. And as I hear it, its not difficult to get back and forth between the two on the bus. Does it take a lot of time, sure, but not that much more than if you are driving. That is of course unless you know all the little side streets, which takes a year or two to figure out.

I have mentioned this more than once, so it shouldnt be an issue.

I am not having a hard time finding a place becuase of employment varification. Its because I cant find a place that isnt crazy expensive, and doesnt involve having lame roommates. Im sorry, but Im being forced to do a roommate set up, in a city across the country, that I have never been to before. I would like my roommates to be people that I may be able to relate to. In a nutshell, this is what Im noticing :

- we only want female roommates.

- We are going to charge you to sleep on the couch, when you are paying just as much as the guy getting a bed.

- Sober living homes, or lame people that dont allow their roommates to have active social lives.

- Most people looking for roommates are in their 30s, and lead an accountant type lifestyle.

- We live in a bad location, but are charging you just as much as if it was a good location.

Every site is almost the same. Just hop on Craigslist and look at the shares in Santa Monica and West Holywood that arent the same price as a single apartment. Its really lame. Where did all the mainstream entertainment industry personality types go? Because I cant be the only one that understands that stuff, but isnt some established millionaire .

1) Why would anyone in their right mind agree to have you as a roommate without ever meeting you?

2) It is going to be very difficult for you to find a place to live without having a job. A professionally managed property won't take you. And then why would anyone else let you move in not knowing what your true financial situation is, how you handle your money, etc.? I'd be asking for at least 3 months of rent up front. Plus a security deposit.

3) Let's see. If I'm renting a two-bedroom apartment in Santa Monica for $2,000+ per month, what do you think I'm going to charge a roommate? At least half, plus utilities, plus a security deposit, etc. What is your idea of affordable?

4) You don't have a job, but you're looking in either Santa Monica or WeHo. What if your job isn't where you live? Do you know for sure the bus is going to get you where you need to go within a reasonable amount of time?

5) It's funny that you're being extraordinarily picky about who you want to live with, and you're the one without the place to live, without a job, without a car, and don't know anyone in LA. A bit self-righteous don't you think? You'll fit in perfectly in the entertainment biz. Me me me me me!

Everyone here is trying to help you, but you don't like the answers. I don't know what else can be said.

Old 03-23-2009, 04:14 PM

I dont "need' anything from anyone. I just find it hard to believe that of all the thousands of young people that move to LA each year, I am the only one stuck in this siuation. Or is it that others who are stuck, chose to compromise for less than what they wanted? If you knew anything about my life, you would know that I have always compromised and waited for what I wanted. This time its for me, and I refuse to settle with something as simple (yet important).

I have tried the apartment websites, and Craigslist seems to be the only one with decent stuff. Of course, all the places on Westside Rentals and such are nice, but they are also singles that are twice the price. Would I love to live on Ocean Walk off the beach in a high class complex, damn straight I would. But not only can I not afford to live in a $5,000 a month apartment, but if rent cost is that high, I might as well buy a house and live in it for three years, only to turn around and sell it and make profit. As for the people on these websites looking for roommates .. When you are paying $1,500 a month plus utilities with a roommate, I think its time that both you and your roommate find a cheaper place. That hut tub or pool might be awesome to have, but is it worth the $500 more you have to pay each month for rent? And house cleaning .. are you serious? What, on the west coast, no one knows how to pick up after themselves?

I have tried the various roommate finder sites, and each one returns matches that have nothing to do with what I was looking for. I know its going to be rough at first, but one of the many reasons why I started working in the entertainment industry was because it isnt standard. You might be working long hours one day, but the next it might be part of your job to network with a client at a club. I know people who do this sort of thing, and there is a lot more to it than the glamour MTV lifestyle, that people here seem to thnk Im falling into. The fact is, I want to room with, and be friends with like mined people. I understand mainstream industry, so thats what I want to be around. Its yet one of many reasons why to be in LA and not Chicago. I know Im not the only one. So really, there has to be some alternatives. Brokers are expensive and useless to out of state residents. Amd I did think of renting on my own for a month, and finding my own roommate. However, with two bedrooms being over $2,000, that gets a bit iffy.

In my slight non moment of clarity, I looked into other places. However, not only were the rent costs not much cheaper (Im not as much worried about the costs with a roommate), but it was the same type of people. I know a few people that work at mainstream media outlets, and they all come from Orange County. Is that where everyone is? If so, I know public transportation in and out of LA to OC is near impossible, and the younger populated areas like Manhattan Beach are just as highly priced (if not more) than getting a single in LA.

Cubancoffee and ZenMaster, if you read earlier in the thread, you would know that I did look into a short visit, and I was told by those that I know who have access to those areas, that the really cheap $50 a night hotels are not smart to stay at, considering often times your stuff gets stolen. Plus, what if I go there for a few days and still cant find anything? Thats a ton of money down the drain.

Motoman, to answer a few of your questions, its not hard. I know one guy that moved from Wisconsin to LA when he was 18, and found a likeable roommate without meeting first. I know a girl that moved to The Valley back in August, and found like minded roommates without meeting them. It is very possible, and happens all the time. And how did they do it ..? The same way I am trying now. Thats why I dont get how Im missing the mark. As for the work and transportation issues, that is exactly why I want to be in the middle of everything. I would rather pay a bit more and know I can get from point A to point B, then have yet another stressful matter. Most apartments that I see do not require proof of employment, but if it came down to it, I do curretly have a job here, as well as my own start up business. I wouldnt mind posting up front a few months rent, but I prefer not to considering I might hate the apartment in 3 months time.

Old 03-23-2009, 04:21 PM

5,607 posts, read 20,206,873 times
Why do you have to limit yourself to Santa Monica and West Hollywood, two of the most expensive places to live in the whole city? There are plenty of other places that are commutable by bus to either of those, that are way cheaper.

You can find a bunch of cheap apartments (by LA standards) in the Westside in Palms (bounded by 10, 405 and Venice). You can live in "South Robertson," semi-slummy and full of cheap apartments, but which is only about 2 miles south of Beverly Hills. Or in/around Koreatown-- of which has pretty good public transit to where you want to go. Or the eastern, "ghetto" part of Hollywood. You have to start widening your search.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles