U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 05:03 PM

85 posts, read 154,804 times

Advertisements

The majority of career opportunities will be in those areas. Therefore, I will need easy transit access to BOTH Santa Monica and West Hollywood. I know there is solid transit down Wilshire and Santa Monica Blvd, as well as great transportation within Santa Monica and good Metro service in West Hollywood. What other places have that access? Other parts of Hollywood are iffy crime wise, I refuse to live as far away as Burbank or Downtown, transportation in Venice is crappy, Malibu has bad transportation and is pricey, and OC is far with no easy access.

I dont know the areas and will be walking or taking transit. I do not want to live in "questionable" areas.

The problem isnt finding a roommate situation that is affordabe. Its finding a roommate situation thats affordable, in a decent location, and has like minded roommates. I cant find anyone that is atleast halfway to someone I would get along with.

Old 03-23-2009, 05:04 PM

898 posts, read 1,245,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jer3784 View Post
I dont "need' anything from anyone. I just find it hard to believe that of all the thousands of young people that move to LA each year, I am the only one stuck in this siuation. Or is it that others who are stuck, chose to compromise for less than what they wanted? If you knew anything about my life...

I know a few people that work at mainstream media outlets, and they all come from Orange County. Is that where everyone is? If so, I know public transportation in and out of LA to OC is near impossible, and the younger populated areas like Manhattan Beach are just as highly priced (if not more) than getting a single in LA.

Cubancoffee and ZenMaster, if you read earlier in the thread, you would know that I did look into a short visit, and I was told by those that I know who have access to those areas, that the really cheap $50 a night hotels are not smart to stay at, considering often times your stuff gets stolen. Plus, what if I go there for a few days and still cant find anything? Thats a ton of money down the drain.

Motoman, to answer a few of your questions, its not hard. I know one guy that moved from Wisconsin to LA when he was 18, and found a likeable roommate without meeting first. I know a girl that moved to The Valley back in August, and found like minded roommates without meeting them. It is very possible, and happens all the time. And how did they do it ..? The same way I am trying now. Thats why I dont get how Im missing the mark. As for the work and transportation issues, that is exactly why I want to be in the middle of everything. I would rather pay a bit more and know I can get from point A to point B, then have yet another stressful matter. Most apartments that I see do not require proof of employment, but if it came down to it, I do curretly have a job here, as well as my own start up business. I wouldnt mind posting up front a few months rent, but I prefer not to considering I might hate the apartment in 3 months time.
It is exactly that others who are "stuck" had to compromise. You can't come into this town (or any town for that matter) with nothing, not knowing anyone that would let you stay with them and expect to live in the most posh areas right away. You've deluded yourself into thinking that you could live in Santa Monica or West Hollywood, the most expensive areas, simply because so many suckers- I mean young people- like yourself inundate these areas and live there by any means necessary when they could be just as happy in areas like North Hollywood and Burbank without having to share an apartment with four other people.

The only young people that I've noticed can live in these areas while they go to schools like UCLA or are trying to "make it in the biz" are there because their mommies and daddies are paying the rent for them. The ones who are trully trying to make it on their own live in Hollywood, North Hollywood, Burbank and other such places; not Santa Monica, Orange County or any of the beach cities.

How can you not get how you're "missing the mark" when you yourself admitted that the people you know this has worked for did it in other cities? That's the mark that you're missing; they did it in cities that are much more affordable and have more people in the same predicament instead of cities where you have people who are just as snobby as you're trying to be.

Most apartments don't legaly require proof of employment but, as a former apartment manager, I can tell you that the only way to get an apartment without a job is to offer extra deposit money or to pay six month's rent in advance. That's the only way my bosses ever allowed it.

Finally, someone else posted that the best thing to do is stay in a hotel and do some apartment hunting on foot. Unfortounately, that is the truth. Every apartment that I have ever lived in other than the ones where I worked I found by driving around and looking. There are plenty of affordable, nice, safe apartment buildings in areas with the same qualities that are privately owned and do not spend the tens of thousands of dollars that it takes to advertise. But you go to extremes to try to prove a non existent point. It's true that anywhere that will charge you $50 a night probably isn't the best place but what about a Howard Johnson's or a Holiday Inn? Those are fairly cheap and not in the worst areas.

In the end, it doesn't matter. You don't want to earn it so you'll come here, blow your wad early and leave with a sour taste in your mouth about how L.A. chewed you up and spit you out.

Last edited by fatmancomics; 03-23-2009 at 05:29 PM..

Old 03-23-2009, 05:37 PM

What if its a month to month lease situation, and Im leaving for a new place, and not because I cant pay my rent? Its a fat chance that I would actually get that remaining money that I put down back. Trust me, atleast here in Chicago, I know a lot of building managers that have scammed people out of unused money, and there is nothing the renter can do about it. I am willing to take that chance, but only if I am put in a livable situation for me.

In a previous response I stated that I have looked in other areas, and still havent found these so called like minded people. If I found a place that worked for me, if it wasnt as far as Burbank, maybe I would consider. But sorry, Im not traveling close to 4 hours a day, when I can travel half that and get the same type of jobs. Again, most people looking for roommates in those areas are between $600 and $900 a month. I can afford that, but found nothing that works for me. Im not going to room with a 35 year old accountant that hates any noise at all, when Im a mainstream industry guy that has a vast CD collection, constantly needs to network, and is looking to do more than stare at the walls when I get home from work. If you are not compatible and on the same page as your roommates, its going to get really stressful. Being younger and moving across the country in this job market, the last think I will need is more stress. So I can care less if Im rooming with someone whose mom and dad pay the rent.

Show me otherwise. Im not seeing it.

Old 03-23-2009, 05:59 PM

422 posts, read 1,566,686 times
Once again, Jer, people here have tried to help you, have tried to clear up some of your misconceptions, and your response is to argue with them. You seem to have your mind made up about about some things that you obviously know little about. So, good luck to you.

P.S. Nobody likes a whiner.

Last edited by Cubancoffee; 03-23-2009 at 06:20 PM..

Old 03-23-2009, 06:46 PM

Since you guys cant seem to understand that I cant deal with excessive commutes, then lets switch it around ..

How do I find like mined people to rent with in Santa Monica or West Hollywood?

Old 03-23-2009, 07:16 PM

11,151 posts, read 13,812,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jer3784 View Post
Since you guys cant seem to understand that I cant deal with excessive commutes, then lets switch it around ..

How do I find like mined people to rent with in Santa Monica or West Hollywood?

Simple. You move out here and meet them through networks of friends and co-workers.

Old 03-23-2009, 07:19 PM

1,078 posts, read 2,776,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by squeezeboxgal View Post
Simple. You move out here and meet them through networks of friends and co-workers.
But then he'd spend 350/day on hotels!

Old 03-23-2009, 07:33 PM

11,715 posts, read 35,058,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenMaster2008 View Post
But then he'd spend 350/day on hotels!
Haha just for fun I went to hotwire.com and searched for hotels in Santa Monica in July. They don't show the brand or exact location but list them by city and star rating. I'm seeing:

Century City/Westwood - 4 star - $119
LAX - 3 star - $79
Beverly Hills/W. Hollywood - 4 star - $113
Culver City - 3 star - $68

And the list goes on. They range from $99 for 2 stars, and $53 for 2.5 stars, to $169 for 4.5 stars. Anyone who thinks they need to spend $350/night on a hotel room in LA must be looking at list prices. Who pays list prices when its so easy to get huge discounts online?

Old 03-23-2009, 07:37 PM

11,151 posts, read 13,812,810 times
Lots of actors (and other "industry people") stay at The Oakwood (http://www.oakwood.com/LosAngeles/?source=9612 - broken link) when they're in town on a temporary basis. It's pricey, compared to a regular apartment, but on par with a standard hotel (~$100/night) and you get more space for your money.

Just a thought.

Old 03-23-2009, 10:41 PM

LAX..? Century City..? All those places are outside areas, meaning I would have to travel, just to travel and look for places. And unless Im walking around looking for For Rent signs, it wont do me any good. The papers dont seem to have many share posting in those areas, so where am I actually going to look?

Never heard of that Oakwood Hotel, but again, how do you develop a plan if you cant find what you are looking for? Unless that is by some amazing chance I run into someone, they are willing to tell me a bit about them, AND offer me a place. But somehow I highly doubt that would happen. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles