U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 05:56 PM

85 posts, read 155,040 times

Advertisements

Heh, my brother lives in Milwaukee.

Of course the market is a bit stiff right now. However, I have experience that most of these other young professionals dont have. Not only have a developed a production staff for a project of my own already, but I am in development for a new media project that combines mainstream entertainment, social networking, and aspects of a career empolyment organization. Not that Im any better than anyone else (because Im not), but I have specialty experience in areas that are relevant, and that most people dont. It makes me even more so a perfect match for industry media outlets, seeing as though I have an English degree as well.

Yes, I am aware of just getting whatever job I can at first. Thats why I want to live in those areas. Not only the public transportation, but I feel that there is a better chance for me to get a job in Santa Monica or West Hollywood, than I do in say The Valley. Its the diference between me being a cashier at a Beverly Hills coffeeshop, where who knows who you will run into. And working at Target, where industry people in a much better position than me do not actively shop at. Plus it makes it so much easier for me, because the industry jobs are there as well. The possibiliies are endless. There are jobs at : Main St, Ocean Ave, the Promenade, the pier, bars and such in West Hollywood, if I got far down The Beverly Center, Santa Monica Mall, local papers, and industry jobs.

I honestly dont feel comfortable telling someone I dont know exactly how much money I have saved up. But fo an estimated amount, lets just say atleast 6 monhs of living epenses. Maybe even close to a year i I make the money work for me (dont eat out much, find a nice but cheap roommate situation, etc).

And yeah I have seen some studios in the area for that cheap. The problems are, what are the added costs? If Im paying 800 a month in a roommate situation with utilities included, thats good. But if Im paying 900 to 1,000 without utlities, we are lookng at an extra 100 to 150 a month. The costs add up, and with the job market how it is, I want to do anything I can to make sure Im out there for as long as possible. Because even if I did get one of those studios, I would still be looking for a roommate to move in with me.

The benefits of a roommate : lower costs, someone to talk to, someone with knowledge of the city, etc.

I hae started to look in other places. Roommates are still just as lame, and prices really arent any cheaper.

Old 03-26-2009, 06:02 PM

6 posts, read 9,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnoxTown View Post
...which I was stuck behind on the 110N for like 30 mins.....
You should move to Santa Monica or West Hollywood. I hear the commute is pretty easy.

Old 03-26-2009, 06:22 PM

Its a lot easier than living all the way in The Valley or downtown, and working in Santa Monica.

Old 03-27-2009, 12:57 AM

30 posts, read 80,111 times
you might have already said this, but what sites were you looking on for roommates? craigslist and westsiderentals or were there others too? i guess it does seem kind of weird that you can't find a roommate that seems semi-compatible. you said you had a family friend there...would they know of somewhere else to look? do you know anyone else that knows anyone out there? maybe they know of someone that wants a roommate. i don't know!

do you post on any other forums related to any of your interests? i've met a ton of people from all over the country, and quite a few from socal that way, so now i already know 15-20 people in southern california that i really trust and can get good advice from.

im not sure if this was already brought up (i think it was) but maybe contact some larger complexes in the areas and see if they can keep an eye out for someone that might come to a property that mentions they'd like a roommate. good luck!

Old 03-27-2009, 01:43 AM

I have tried Craigslist, UCLA Community Site (someone suggested it the other day), Westside Rentals, Rent.com, and there is one other that I dont remember. As for roommates, I have checked Roommate Finder and two others (one I think was called Easy Roommate). Honestly, I have seen some realy nice places that are within my price range, but either the people dont get back to me, or its the type of roommate that I wouldnt get along with.

So for people I know in So Cal, heres a bit of a breakdown :

- One of my closest friends from out of state lives in San Diego. She is looking to move to LA for acting, but not until summer because her husbands job wont allow him to transfer yet. Even though she wouldnt know, shes basically my moms age, and when she moves she is going to be in Burbank. Most of her friends are in the Manhattan Beach area.

- A girl that I did a record label job with moved out there last August. She lives in The Valley, and still claims that she has no LA friends. She didnt care when and how she moved. She said she booked a plane ticket for a specific date, made sure she had a place by then, and just did it.

- A friend of my family lives in North Hollywood (he said its a ghetto part), and he works in West Hollywood. He doesnt know anyone that can help me out. Not only is he close to 10 years older than me, but he moved from Chicago to LA with a friend.

- A friend of my brothers lives in either Westwood or Brentwood (I dont remember which). He says he notices a lot of rent signs, but doesnt know anyone looking for a roommate.

- A close friend of mine is roommates with a guy that lived in LA while going to school, but transfered to Chicago because of costs. However, he lived in Manhattan Beach. Only thing he was able to tell me was that West Hollywood is lame, and that I should live in Santa Monica.

- A friend of one of my moms co workers is out in LA somewhere, but they were literally no help at all.

- I have family in California, but they are closer to San Fran.

- My dads best friend is in some car club, and I guess a lot of them are in Santa Monica. Im still waiting to here back from him.

As for forums, no one on them are from LA.

Thats ALL of my non professional LA connections. Ive basically exhausted every possibility. Yet still no one can even tell me which of the two places is a better fit for me, rather than me finding a good roommate.

Old 03-27-2009, 08:55 AM

11,151 posts, read 13,834,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jer3784 View Post
Yet still no one can even tell me which of the two places is a better fit for me, rather than me finding a good roommate.
Only YOU can decide which place is a better "fit" for you. We can offer advice (which we have), and you can choose to accept it or not (you don't). I think we're done here.

Old 03-27-2009, 11:03 AM

75 posts, read 180,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by squeezeboxgal View Post
Only YOU can decide which place is a better "fit" for you. We can offer advice (which we have), and you can choose to accept it or not (you don't). I think we're done here.
I agree with this. We have tried very patiently to help you as best we can.

I will say that three times I have to had to move very quickly, once I had to find a place in one weekend, once I had about a week, and once we had about three weeks. It isn't that hard and can totally be done. My friends from UCLA were all able to find nice, affordable housing, almost all of them had roommates and had no trouble finding a suitable place. If you're having such a hard time I have to believe that your expectations and requirements are much too high. Really if you're having that much trouble you need to come down here and look yourself, and then you can decide which would be a better fit for you. That's the best way to do it because a lot of places aren't listed on sites. I drive around Santa Monica and West LA every day and there are TONS of for rent signs all over. If you have money saved up for about six months, use some of that and get down here and find a place...there are affordable hotels that are not shady...my family visits all the time and they have never had a problem staying at nice, but not expensive hotels. You can stay at a hotel and start to use that public transportation you are going to be relying on to get around. The best way to find a place is to look. I would also reconsider getting a studio or an apt. on your own and then finding a roommate. It will be expensive at first but at least then you can be in control of who you live with. I have exhausted all my resources. I have moved four different times in LA and I've never had a problem finding a place...ever.

Old 03-27-2009, 01:54 PM

Just because I have a lot of money saved up, doesnt mean that I shouldnt be very iffy about where it goes. What if by chance I get a job, but it really cant pay the bills. After 5 months I have to go home, but I find a great job opportunity, only if I stayed another month. The money that I could have used for that extra month went towards a trip to just look for a place. Sometims things come down to the wire like that.

The majority of advice I have no problem with, but is getting me nowhere. Ive search in other areas right outside of those two areas, I checked the UCLA site, and I have checked local papers. Again .. it might be easy to find a place. But its not easy to find a place with a good roommate. I could get a studio, but the ones I found within my price range are not in the best of areas.

Old 03-28-2009, 02:46 AM

830 posts, read 2,513,030 times
Man, if $100-$150 per month in extra utility costs is going to be the determining factor as to whether or not you can afford to get started out here, 1) you clearly do not have enough money saved up, and 2) you seriously need to reconsider what the hell you are doing.

You are trying to squeeze orange juice out of a rock. Sure, you might eventually be able to find that one-in-a-million deal, with absolutely everything you are looking for, but odds are you'll get handed a nice sausage sandwich up the butt some other way in the process. Nothing in life is free.

I am not trying to discourage you from moving out here, but I think your expectations are entirely unrealistic.

And unless you win the lottery as far as finding a place right on a bus line or within walking distance of where you live, you damn well are going to need a car, particularly in the business you are getting into. That's a big expense, one you haven't even considered. I know you don't drive, and that is going to be a HUGE negative for you out here. HUGE!!!!!

Old 03-28-2009, 10:13 AM

5,607 posts, read 20,247,615 times
Great post, motoman! Remind me to rep you some more when my quota frees up.

Jer, how do you know that you're going to be working in either Santa Monica or West Hollywood? Most of the entertainment industry is actually in and near Burbank.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles