U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2009, 03:04 PM

5 posts, read 6,890 times

Advertisements

hi

i am currently living in germany but intend to move to L.A. to get married to my boyfriend (we have a daughter of 3 yrs.).

he lives in lawndale right now where he also works.

we are going to move to a 3+ bedroom apartment and am looking for areaas to consider. it shouldnt be too far from lawndale, but since i am not very happy with the environment in lawndale, i would like to move to another city.

which cities can you recommand? i prefer the beach (though the beach area seems really expensive) or a more "natural" environment yet able to get to work in lawndale within a reasonable time also safety is very important for us since we have a young daughter. our background is african-american/german.

any suggestions?

thank you so much in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2009, 03:07 PM

26,346 posts, read 80,751,010 times
This is an easy to use tool which maps craigslist rentals on google maps

HousingMaps

also check out School Performance Maps

Old 03-09-2009, 03:15 PM

2,516 posts, read 7,548,358 times
There's really no such thing as a 3+ bedroom apartment here. If you want more than three bedrooms, you have to rent a house. If you want only three bedrooms, your apartment options will be VERY limited, as they aren't many of those either. LA is unlike other cities where families live in apartments their whole lives, so developers don't construct apartments with space for expanding families in mind. Is there some reason you think you need that much space for a couple and a small child?

Old 03-09-2009, 09:20 PM

1,725 posts, read 5,935,284 times
Let's also begin with your budget. What can you cover in monthly rent?

Old 04-21-2009, 12:20 AM

5 posts, read 6,890 times
Hello and sorry that I didn't write earlier! I haven't gotten a notification

Thank you for the school and housing maps!

After reconsidering we decided we would be OK with 2 bedrooms. Especially since our budget is limited to 1.500,-/month.

After checking the traffic there aren't too many areas left to be considered. We fell in love with Palo Verde, Redondo or Hermosa Beach are interesting too. Is there any other area you could recommand?

For me, the most important issue is good pre/schooling for our child and a "safe" neighbourhood.

Hope to hear from you again

Old 04-21-2009, 09:17 PM

71 posts, read 330,684 times
Check out the mass of apartments in the West Torrance area of Anza Ave, Emerald Ave, Spencer Street. Also the South Redondo area along Prospect Ave. North Redondo also has apartments you can rent in that price range. All are very safe and family friendly. I don't recommend Lawndale at all.

Old 09-13-2009, 11:00 PM

6 posts, read 10,490 times
Where did you end up, and in what type of housing? Did it work well for you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or