U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2009, 08:33 AM

14 posts, read 44,476 times

Advertisements

So I'm sure everyone is going to say the commute is going to be horrible, so I'm looking for your best recommendations to ease this reality as much as possible. I most likely will be getting a job in Long Beach. I have the option to transfer there with the company I am currently with. With such a rocky job market I don't feel like venturing out to a new company right now. My husband will be going to school in Hollywood. How in the world do I try to swing this commute? Is it even worth trying for the job security aspect? I appreciate any advice from where to live, when to travel to avoid the worst of the traffice, and which highways to take. Our housing budget is at max $1500 a month for rent and I'd like to live somewhere safe so I can take the dog for a walk after work and not feel creeped out.

Thanks all!
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2009, 08:36 AM

5,607 posts, read 20,191,430 times
For the commute to Hollywood-- public transportation. Live it, love it. Blue line to red line or possibly green line to blue line to red line or an express bus to downtown to red line.

Old 03-11-2009, 09:02 AM

2,072 posts, read 10,871,821 times
Live where you work. Long Beach is very walkable and has great public transporation.

Old 03-11-2009, 09:50 AM

Only one of us can "live where we work". Where's the best location to live (Long Beach, Hollywood, split the difference?).

vegaspilgrim, sounds like you are saying public transport is an option from one location all the way to the other? How long would that take? how many "changes" would one have to make one way?

Old 03-11-2009, 09:56 AM

11,715 posts, read 35,021,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moving out of the midwest View Post
Only one of us can "live where we work". Where's the best location to live (Long Beach, Hollywood, split the difference?).
That's a difference you don't want to split. Picture East St. Louis or to the west, blowing your $1500/mo budget.

Old 03-11-2009, 09:56 AM

escape california, if we shouldn't split the difference which one of us would have the easier commute from one town to the other? or are you suggesting one of us should look for a different job?

vegaspilgrim, sounds like you think public transportation is an option from one location all the way to the other. Any idea how long that would take or how many changes you would have to make one way? thanks for the input.

Old 03-11-2009, 10:05 AM

5,113 posts, read 17,034,108 times
Long Beach will be affordable to you and has safe areas near public transport. You'll want to live near the LA Metro Blue Line(rail) and your husband will be able to take that through connections mentioned above to school(Blue line to Red line being the most probable)

The areas between Long Beach and Hollywood are either not affordable or not desirable.

As far as where to live near the blue line. Check out these areas of Long Beach(near the blue line, which is on the west side of town): Downtown, Wrigley, and Bixby Knolls. You can also look at the city of Signal Hill, which isn't too far from the blue line. You won't find a house for that much, but you should be able to find a decent apt in those areas.

Interactive Map

If you have two cars, you could consider areas like eastern Long Beach and coastal eastern Long Beach(Belmont Shore and such). You could also consider the cities of Lakewood(east of Lakewood Mall), Torrance/Gardena(using the 110 fwy to get to Hollywood, not the best route, but not the worst since you avoid the East LA interchange), Los Alamitos(farthest from Hollywood, but right next to Long Beach), or Downey(closest affordable, safe midpoint I would say eventhough it's not directly between the two. You'll want to avoid the East LA Interchange(5/10/60 fwys) if you can, perhaps using the 710 to the 101 instead of taking the 5 to the 101, but I'm not familiar with the traffic patterns on those freeways)

Old 03-11-2009, 10:07 AM

5,113 posts, read 17,034,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moving out of the midwest View Post
escape california, if we shouldn't split the difference which one of us would have the easier commute from one town to the other? or are you suggesting one of us should look for a different job?
The problem isn't necessarily the commute as much as the cost. For a nice, safe place in Hollywood, you're out of your budget. For a nice, safe place in Long Beach, you're at a decent to nice 2bd apt, or perhaps an old condo in Signal Hill. If you want a compromise point, check Downey like I mentioned in my previous post, but it's not directly between the two.

Old 03-11-2009, 10:09 AM

7,091 posts, read 18,425,652 times
getting from long beach to hollywood via public transportation involves taking two trains, the blue line from LB to downtown LA and the red line from downtown to hollywood. the blue line takes about 50 minutes from end to end and the red line would add an additional 15-20 minutes plus transfer time for a total trip time of about an hour and 15 minutes each way, which is probably about the same time as making the drive. unless your husband will be in school everyday, i think living in long beach would be the better option since you will most likely have to go to work everyday. if he in fact will be going to school full time everyday, much like a job, you're going to have to figure out who will be better at putting up with the commute.

Old 03-11-2009, 10:26 AM

thanks all for your insight and thoughts...much appreciated. we will give long beach a much closer look.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles