Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 01:15 AM

208 posts, read 979,615 times

Advertisements

there is a lot of negativity on this forum about all places...when in reality most places are just what YOU make of it. california is great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2007, 04:43 AM

4 posts, read 41,960 times
Hi my name is Jess Lee, i am living in england at the moment and i HATE IT!!! its such a rip off country and always cold, the people are arrogent and its just not for me. i have lived in england all my life but i really want to move to L.A or to the outskirts of L.A. its something i really want and need to do. can someone please give me some advice on living there and maybe someone who wants to move there too and wont have alot of money at first who wants to go together. thanks.

Old 03-26-2007, 09:53 AM

2,916 posts, read 11,075,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessica_lee17 View Post
Hi my name is Jess Lee, i am living in england at the moment and i HATE IT!!! its such a rip off country and always cold, the people are arrogent and its just not for me. i have lived in england all my life but i really want to move to L.A or to the outskirts of L.A. its something i really want and need to do. can someone please give me some advice on living there and maybe someone who wants to move there too and wont have alot of money at first who wants to go together. thanks.
What is it about CA that draws you? You mention outskirts of LA? Why there? Family, friends, job?

If you haven't done so already, the most basic advise is for you to take a vacation to CA and explore the state a little. It's a diverse place, so it'd be worth your while to get a sense for what areas and aspects of CA appeal to you and not.

I would advise against arriving in CA cold, just like that. It can be an indifferent place that has seen and heard a lot of sad stories. If you landed on hard times, your sad story would only be one in a long line; life could become difficult and dangerous for you. Instead, take a vacation trip first, find your place, and make a plan to get there.

Old 03-26-2007, 05:03 PM

1,720 posts, read 6,726,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthBayTodd View Post
there is a lot of negativity on this forum about all places...when in reality most places are just what YOU make of it. california is great!
I would have to agree. Although I may come off negative about Cali in general, I have experience with Los Angeles and surrounding areas. There ARE some nice areas, but they always really expensive. Everything else I see is getting run down by hispanics who may see their living as an improvement from Mexico or other countries, but as for me, it is getting uglier and trashy looking. Yards not being taken care of, trash in front yards, cars sitting for months that are broke down on the street or lawn, shops run down, etc.
So I will admit I am taking a negative approach and maybe if you move here you can make into something you love. I just cant see spending over 50% of my monthly income on rent.

Old 03-26-2007, 05:33 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,592,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgee View Post
I would have to agree. Although I may come off negative about Cali in general, I have experience with Los Angeles and surrounding areas. There ARE some nice areas, but they always really expensive. Everything else I see is getting run down by hispanics who may see their living as an improvement from Mexico or other countries, but as for me, it is getting uglier and trashy looking. Yards not being taken care of, trash in front yards, cars sitting for months that are broke down on the street or lawn, shops run down, etc.
So I will admit I am taking a negative approach and maybe if you move here you can make into something you love. I just cant see spending over 50% of my monthly income on rent.
You do realize there are areas that are getting LESS Latino?

Most prominently, Venice and Silver Lake.

Echo Park, although still majority Latino, is another example. (Latinos, as a whole, would rather live in a more family friendly suburban area for the same prices that property in Echo Park would go for, therefore a large number of the new arrivals there are non-Latino whites.).

Old 03-26-2007, 05:36 PM

1,720 posts, read 6,726,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
You do realize there are areas that are getting LESS Latino?

Most prominently, Venice and Silver Lake.

Echo Park, although still majority Latino, is another example. (Latinos, as a whole, would rather live in a more family friendly suburban area for the same prices that property in Echo Park would go for, therefore a large number of the new arrivals there are non-Latino whites.).
Yea, my city doesnt have what I described. But it is very small and surrounding by this east/west. Its just so expensive here regardless.

Old 04-05-2007, 09:19 PM

21 posts, read 136,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgee View Post

I see what your saying ,kgee, I used to live in South Gate, When it was nice back then, but now its just like any ohter city in that area.

p.s. if you think some places are setting runned down over there, you should see the whole northeast half of NJ, iam getting tired of it where ever I go it follows!

Old 04-05-2007, 10:27 PM

2,916 posts, read 11,075,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PLPD333 View Post

p.s. if you think some places are setting runned down over there, you should see the whole northeast half of NJ, iam getting tired of it where ever I go it follows!
What is the "it" that follows you?

Old 04-07-2007, 09:55 AM

21 posts, read 136,719 times
Urban Decay

Old 04-08-2007, 07:20 AM

321 posts, read 1,440,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by habibharu View Post
Im a college kid from Chicago, currently livin in the suburbs. Im graduating soon and interested in goin to law school. I want to move to a large city with nice weather and good job market. i do not really care where in the country it is, but i was looking at LA, because that Cali lifestyle has always appealed to me. But reading some of the threads in here has made me reconsider. If i want to go to law school in LA and work for a big law firm after that, is LA for me? Im single btw and 21.
Many people move to California with images from the movies...... Many move out after they learn the reality of the place. I would go somewhere else to go to law school and practice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles