U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-11-2009, 08:40 PM
 
Location: Chicago, Illinois
204 posts, read 657,208 times
Reputation: 95

Advertisements

Is this reasonable if you are a white guy??? Anyplace in L.A. for working class white guys???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-11-2009, 08:55 PM
 
938 posts, read 3,569,096 times
Reputation: 767
Se habla espanol, yo.

While there are a few token white people there, its overwhelmingly (we're talking in upwards of 90%) Hispanic -- working class at that. The area itself is pretty dense and urban, replete with many 1920's apartment buildings, and has lots of pedestrian foot traffic and street vendors hawking various goods. Very vibrant.

It also worth noting that the area has no shortage of gangs, graffiti or drugs (or illegal immigrants, if that freaks you out), and being a token white guy in a marginal area like Rampart might not be a good thing, especially if things take a turn for the worse (you'll be an easy target). In fact, there were 2 shootings in Echo Park earlier this month, and I regularly get asked if I want to buy SSN's, ID's, Green Cards, etc on my visits to MacArthur Park.

BTW, Rampart isn't a neighborhood itself, but rather a series of neighborhoods under the "Rampart" umbrella. Below are some shots from neighborhoods under that umbrella:

prettyugly.: Echo Park
prettyugly.: koreatown
prettyugly.: Westlake

If you can duke it out, and are prepared to live in one of the densest, 3rd world, most unsanitized, gritty, raw, urban areas of Los Angeles (somewhat dangerous, too), then by all means go for it.

Last edited by King0fthehill; 03-11-2009 at 09:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-11-2009, 09:11 PM
 
Location: Chicago, Illinois
204 posts, read 657,208 times
Reputation: 95
Thanks for the info. What about silverlake is that a lot better?? Thats in the same area I believe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-11-2009, 09:16 PM
 
11,715 posts, read 35,010,269 times
Reputation: 7465
Quote:
Originally Posted by King0fthehill View Post
Se habla espanol, yo.

While there are a few token white people there, its overwhelmingly (we're talking in upwards of 90%) Hispanic -- working class at that. The area itself is pretty dense and urban, replete with many 1920's apartment buildings, and has lots of pedestrian foot traffic and street vendors hawking various goods. Very vibrant.

It also worth noting that the area has no shortage of gangs, graffiti or drugs (or illegal immigrants, if that freaks you out), and being a token white guy in a marginal area like Rampart might not be a good thing, especially if things take a turn for the worse (you'll be an easy target). In fact, there were 2 shootings in Echo Park earlier this month, and I regularly get asked if I want to buy SSN's, ID's, Green Cards, etc on my visits to MacArthur Park.

BTW, Rampart isn't a neighborhood itself, but rather a series of neighborhoods under the "Rampart" umbrella. Below are some shots from neighborhoods under that umbrella:

prettyugly.: Echo Park
prettyugly.: koreatown
prettyugly.: Westlake

If you can duke it out, and are prepared to live in one of the densest, 3rd world, most unsanitized, gritty, raw, urban areas of Los Angeles (somewhat dangerous, too), then by all means go for it.
Nice pictures. Do you ever get apprehensive about walking around some sketchy neighborhoods with your camera or do you take a couple of Marines with you? What do you shoot with typically?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-11-2009, 09:17 PM
 
Location: Chicago, Illinois
204 posts, read 657,208 times
Reputation: 95
Default Downtown L.A.

I heard downtown L.A. is a lot cheaper then the rest of L.A. Would anyone recommend living down there??? I know its got somewhat of a bad reputation but I heard it was making a come back and you can get a decent priced condo or loft down there. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-11-2009, 09:25 PM
 
938 posts, read 3,569,096 times
Reputation: 767
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottl333 View Post
Thanks for the info. What about silverlake is that a lot better?? Thats in the same area I believe.
Silverlake is the LA nexus of hipsters, accompanied by a bevy of boutiques, cafes, coffee shops, niche stores (doggie day care, gelato, etc etc), swanky, uber-modern homes and lofts, various art-related businesses, such as galleries and work spaces.

However, the gentrification that ensued as a result of the artist/hipster/creative-type migration has made SL significantly pricier than surrounding locales, and it is that very reason that I do no recommend it to a "working class white guy". Don't worry, even the people who made it "hip" are getting/have been priced out to places like Highland Park, Echo Park, Lincoln Heights, etc etc.

prettyugly.: Silverlake


Maybe you should try parts of East Hollywood instead. Its close to the Sunset Junction, affordable and a bit more safer than the Rampart nabes.

EH:
prettyugly.: Sanamluang (http://devanwells.blogspot.com/2009/02/sanamluang.html - broken link)
prettyugly.: Thai Town visit

Hope that helped some..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-11-2009, 09:27 PM
 
938 posts, read 3,569,096 times
Reputation: 767
LOL!

Its cheap for a reason. And based on your previous description ("working class white guy"), I'd avoid it, since that scratches out the awesome lofts they have there.

Have you thought of getting a roommate? Or moving to the suburbs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2009, 03:28 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles, CA
1,636 posts, read 2,897,766 times
Reputation: 226
Just do it man. Try it out. People are always scared of everything.
The other day, I saw the most hipstered out white boy walking alone down Cesar Chavez in Boyle Heights with white ipod buds in his ear. People just went on with their business. People didn't leap on him like a clan of lepers or anything.

And as a self described "working class white guy", you're probably less of a scene that the hipster types.
All these areas that have been gentrified? There's always a white guy who's the first to move in. He gets along fine, and other white people realize, "hey....the Mexicans won't eat me alive! It's urban...let's move in!".
Silverlake is a little pricey...Echo Park is a little cheaper. Check out what's around north of Sunset, or just barely south of sunset, and maybe you'll find something you'll like.
But if you want something cheap, check out North Hollywood or something like that.

Depending on how much you'll make, you'll probably need a roommate in most places in LA(the other places you won't want to live in). But you'll do fine in most places, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2009, 03:53 PM
 
Location: Chicago, Illinois
204 posts, read 657,208 times
Reputation: 95
Thanks for the info people. I had no idea echo park has gotten so expensive. I have heard horror stories of that place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2009, 04:29 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles, CA
1,636 posts, read 2,897,766 times
Reputation: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottl333 View Post
Thanks for the info people. I had no idea echo park has gotten so expensive. I have heard horror stories of that place.
What horror stories? Even at it's worse, Echo Park was never a full-blown ghetto. Today, it's a neighborhood that has a lot of yuppies living side by side and slowly displacing working class Latino families. It's a decent area, with some great homes, and a great location, so yeah, it's kind of pricey.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top