U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2009, 04:06 AM

1,297 posts, read 4,933,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnoxTown View Post
Conga Room is cool, but its almost too spacious. I never really got comfortable enough to hang out there for too long. It's a neat spot though, check it out.
Didn't it close? new opening at LA Live right?

Anyways, wouldnt bother with that place. The behind the scenes is just a bit too much behind the scenes for me. It's kind of like corporate disneyland for the masses. If that makes any sense without personally blasting the "behind the scenes".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2009, 04:25 AM

1,204 posts, read 3,909,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greggd View Post
Didn't it close? new opening at LA Live right?

Anyways, wouldnt bother with that place. The behind the scenes is just a bit too much behind the scenes for me. It's kind of like corporate disneyland for the masses. If that makes any sense without personally blasting the "behind the scenes".
Yea, at LA Live. You nailed it though. haha

Old 03-14-2009, 02:30 PM

830 posts, read 2,505,297 times
Quote:
Beer is about 7-12
Cocktails are about 10-15

I don't know any "normal" people willing to pay $7-$12 for a beer. What is your definition of normal?

Old 03-14-2009, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoman View Post
I don't know any "normal" people willing to pay $7-$12 for a beer. What is your definition of normal?
You pay for quality. I'm not talking about $7.00 Bud Light.

Old 03-14-2009, 04:05 PM

2,870 posts, read 4,457,982 times
Y'know, for downtown I really dig the Veranda at Hotel Figueroa for late afternoons. Indoor/outdoor, old school, very Rat Pack on that border between charming and tawdry, but hidden away as opposed to nearby LA Live. I haven't actually gone to LA Live yet but I'm an old fart now and it seems a little too brash for me. I've heard of Weiland Brewery...do they serve beer in pitchers?

Old 03-19-2009, 02:29 AM

30 posts, read 77,603 times
also if you want more small and gritty downtown try Bar 107, i love 7 Grand esp if you like whiskey. The edison is a good place to go once in a while due to price but it sure is cool inside. what kind of places do you like? dive bars or caviar? that makes a big difference.

Old 03-19-2009, 01:51 PM

5,409 posts, read 11,068,069 times
the veranda bar is a favorite of mine. it is a very nice place to go and hang out and have a few drinks. i highly recommend it for a peaceful evening. altho on the weekends and after some staples games/events it can get wild.

as for weilands, thats another one of my favorite spots. they dont serve pitchers. but their house pints are less than 4 bucks and only 2.50 for happy hour (3-7p and 10p till closing!!!)

as for bar 107, its a dive bar. but it was originally score bar, the oldest gay bar in LA. it changes hands and the gays got the boot.

its a frat boy place now.

and LA LIVE... i likes the conga when it was on wilshire better. more charm. more character.

the only good thing about the spots at LA LIVE is the happy hour at yardhouse. ESPN zone is way overpriced and usually empty. people opt for the yardhouse instead.

there are lots of places to go.

drink and be merry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunjee View Post
Y'know, for downtown I really dig the Veranda at Hotel Figueroa for late afternoons. Indoor/outdoor, old school, very Rat Pack on that border between charming and tawdry, but hidden away as opposed to nearby LA Live. I haven't actually gone to LA Live yet but I'm an old fart now and it seems a little too brash for me. I've heard of Weiland Brewery...do they serve beer in pitchers?

Old 03-19-2009, 04:20 PM

Quote:
You pay for quality. I'm not talking about $7.00 Bud Light.
I love beer. Have had hundreds of different brews. $7? Maybe for something exotic. Beyond that you're just paying for a fancy place to sit.

I often wonder the profit margins of some of these places. At one bar you can get something like a Sam Adams for $4. At another it's $6 or $7. I know there is nothing special about a Sam, I am just using it as an example. Same beer, just a different place. So the question is, am I getting 50%+ more enjoyment out of drinking this beer in one place versus another? For me the answer is no, because it is the people you are with that make the experience, not the decor of the bar. Not to mention I have a hard time justifying paying $40-$50 for a six-pack of beer, any beer.

Last edited by motoman; 03-19-2009 at 04:31 PM..

Old 03-19-2009, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoman View Post
I love beer. Have had hundreds of different brews. $7? Maybe. Beyond that you're just playing for a fancy place to sit.
You're missing out.

Old 03-19-2009, 04:40 PM

Quote:
You're missing out.
On what? I can spend a $100 on a few drinks at a bar in LA or not go out for a couple of nights and use that money for a plane ticket to take a vacation. A beer is a beer man. It's all what you value.

It's also relative to your own experiences. I'm not from LA, and I know that the rest of the country does not have to take out a mortgage to enjoy a beer, even the exotics.

Before LA, I had never heard of "table service". The idea of paying $300+ for a $50 bottle of alcohol, just for a place to sit, is hilarious. And to me, walking across the street to The Standard after work and paying $9 (including tip) for a bottle of beer is just as ridiculous. Yeah, it's a nice view, but let's say I have 6 beers, which over 2-3 hours isn't so much. That's $54 for 6 beers, nothing fancy. I can buy the same beer at a grocery store for $6. So I'm paying $48 to rent a chair for a couple of hours on the top of a building. I just don't get it. And that's just for me, drinking lowly beer. If my girlfriend wants a martini or something, it's $15 a pop. That's easily over $100 for two people to sit back for a few hours and have some drinks. No thanks man. I have better things to spend my money on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles