U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2009, 09:30 AM

413 posts, read 1,189,905 times

Advertisements

I am planning on moving back to Los Angeles in the next year or two. I will have a roommate so that will help with the rent. I have been checking apartments online and found the complex called Park La Brea. It is near the Grove Mall and the Farmers Market not to mention other places. It seems nice and yes I know the rent is up there. I figure to live in LA you are going to be paying more in rent. But then, rents in my part of Florida are going way up too.

Is this a good complex to live in? I checked out the description and it seems to have a lot going for it. I want a place near where I can get work and either walk or bike to work. I am still debating about bringing my car with me. When I lived there public transportation was the bus and ever few years like clockwork the drivers would go on strike. I hope this has improved.

Any help you all could give me would be appreciated.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2009, 12:00 PM

1,308 posts, read 3,598,312 times
Some of the apts there are very nice; Especially the townhomes. It is a nice place to live, but a bit pricey for what you get. It is very central and depending on your life and lifestyle you could get by without a car living there.

Old 03-15-2009, 12:06 PM

7,091 posts, read 18,421,358 times
PLB is very centrally located in LA, but if you end up getting a job west of PLB (ie Beverly Hills, West LA, or Santa Monica) your commute is going to suck. None of these places are really that far away, it is just that the commuting patterns in LA cause serious congestion going that direction in the am and the reverse in the pm. also remember that there are many, many more apartment buildings around PLB that will be cheaper but just as convenient.

Old 03-15-2009, 01:42 PM

413 posts, read 1,189,905 times
I may wait until I move there to see what I can get. The last time I was in the are was about 20+ years ago and the main draw was the Farmers Market. I bet I wouldn't recognize the area anymore.

I googled apartments in the area and what came up was PLB and Broadcast apartments naturally these are very expensive. I read review of PLB and most appear negative about the place. Who knows what to believe anymore. Convenience is most important to me. This seems like a good central area. Is it a safe area? I also might get a bike and use that as a way to get around since owning a car in LA is so expensive.

Old 03-15-2009, 03:13 PM

1,308 posts, read 3,598,312 times
PLB is a nicer place to llive than the broadcast apts.
Both are safe places is you aren't stupid and walk around at 3:00 am.

Old 07-31-2009, 09:18 AM

1 posts, read 5,736 times
Most people end up hating (and moving out of Park La Brea) when their lease is up for two reasons: 1) no A/C (last time I was there, anyway) 2) parking is very controlled, and it ends up being very difficult for friends to ever come visit you (or boyfriend/girlfriend to come visit you!) It makes it tough to entertain, to say the least.

Old 07-31-2009, 12:45 PM

30,325 posts, read 31,201,438 times
I don't know that apt. complex but I know that the location is a good one and does have public transportation (buses) nearby.

Old 07-31-2009, 01:49 PM

55 posts, read 68,196 times
I have to agree on the parking issue in PLB and the whole Miracle Mile area as a whole.
Parking in that area is a nightmare!

I lived in PLB for one year around 10 years ago.
The area seemed way to controlled but it wasnt a bad place to live
Its like a city within a city in a way.

The problem I had was the parking was too far away. It was a
pain to move groceries and such.
Minor stuff.

Cant move in and out in Sundays.
Security guard came in to say our tv was too loud...
Ants everywhere if you dont throw away food right after you eaten
them...

Old 07-31-2009, 07:00 PM

422 posts, read 1,564,263 times
PLB is what my wife and I refer to as "apartment hell." It's building after building after building of monotony and I find the road/parking layout confusing. The 2 or 3 units I've visited were OK, tho rents there are above market, or seemed so last time I compared. I've also heard that there are bug problems in some buildings. (But that's just hearsay; anyone else know?) It's a very happenin' area, which leads to chronic traffic jams at some intersections. If I was looking for an apt in that area I'd go for a small building WITH PARKING.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles