U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 07:17 PM

1,078 posts, read 2,772,264 times

Advertisements

Yep, as others have said, you just didn't offer the full price. When you are the first person in and really love the place pay full price.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2009, 07:39 PM

69,278 posts, read 79,447,244 times
You know I have heard of trying to bargain for a lot of things but never thought of offering less on a rental property..

Nita

Old 03-16-2009, 08:19 PM

25,807 posts, read 49,697,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
You know I have heard of trying to bargain for a lot of things but never thought of offering less on a rental property..

Nita
It might be a regional thing??? Also, I've learned in some cultures bargaining is expected...

Bargaining can be anything from a better parking space, move-in allowance, two year guaranteed rate instead of one year...

BennyPhoenix is also on to something... bargaining at the get-go over rent may be a red flag to the owner

I have one tenant that has been with me 20 years... actually, I started with her Mom and then transferred the lease to her name 12 years ago when her Mom became ill... anyway, I hear more from her than all of my other tenants combined... not that she's rude or anything... I think she just has a lot of time on her hands and she leaves messages like the garbage company was sloppy or the street light down the street is out...

Old 03-16-2009, 08:59 PM

1,308 posts, read 3,597,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post

Nita
It's actually a very bad tactic. A smarter approach would be to ask for concessions such as 1 month free rent applied at the end of the year, an appliance included, a parking space.
99% of tenants do not realize that the rent largely determines the value of the building. Smart Landlords dont mind giving things to tenants instead of lower rent.

Old 03-16-2009, 09:39 PM

252 posts, read 837,366 times
Quibbling about $50 / month on a penthouse seems a bit silly, if you did indeed really love the place. In all likelihood, the landlord found someone willing to pay the full asking price and signed a lease with that person.

Old 03-17-2009, 05:09 AM

69,278 posts, read 79,447,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
It might be a regional thing??? Also, I've learned in some cultures bargaining is expected...

Bargaining can be anything from a better parking space, move-in allowance, two year guaranteed rate instead of one year...

BennyPhoenix is also on to something... bargaining at the get-go over rent may be a red flag to the owner

I have one tenant that has been with me 20 years... actually, I started with her Mom and then transferred the lease to her name 12 years ago when her Mom became ill... anyway, I hear more from her than all of my other tenants combined... not that she's rude or anything... I think she just has a lot of time on her hands and she leaves messages like the garbage company was sloppy or the street light down the street is out...
you could be right or maybe it is just todays life, we used to be renters and have been from time to time and never thought of bargaining. I love a good value and haggle when I think it is expected, but never thought of it when renting...I guess we are never to old to learn new things.

Nita

Old 03-17-2009, 08:53 AM

898 posts, read 1,242,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Simon View Post
I'm new to this so this may be an obvious questions. What is the obligation of a landlord of an apt to refrain from leasing unit out to someone else while he is in price negotiations with another person?

Basically, I saw a PERFECT penthouse unit on Thursday evening; my 5 year-old daughter loved it too. I was told that I was the first person who had seen the unit and that there were no other units available in the building. I asked for a $50 reduction in rent. This would bring it in line with other comparable units in the area. They said they would get back to me the next morning. I called first thing in the morning to check in and they said they'd get back to me by 2pm after checking with the owners.

At 2pm, I got a call telling me that at some point that morning, they had leased the unit to someone else for the full price. I also learned that that this person did not have a child. I was then shown a smaller (even though I was told that there were no other units available in the building) which was a FAR, FAR less desirable unit on the ground floor which and listed for the same price as the larger uniit.

What should I do...we really had our heart set on the other unit and from my point of view, I was ready to take the unit and was waiting on them to get back to me on pricing. We are very uneasy with the way this was handled...any advice would be very, very much appreciated!!
Heh, now you know what NOT to do. A landlord will never hold an apartment for you without some kind of deposit and you hadn't given him one. Now you're saying that you feel cheated and that you feel uneasy about how it was handled so I say don't take the other unit; just keep looking elsewhere because, as far as you're concerned, they cheated you and that means that you won't have a good tenant/ landlord relationship no matter what.
Some things to consider about what happened:
You were "in love" with the unit but still tried to pay a lower rent.
The landlord got someone else to pay full price AND they didn't have children. That's a win win for him. It's illegal to admit it but most landlords don't want children in their units as they are apt to cause more than "normal" wear and tear to the apartment as well as cause noise and disturb other tenants. When I was still renting, I would always search for an apartment on the highest floor so I didn't have to listen to children running above me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or