U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2015, 09:20 PM

4,212 posts, read 6,367,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IM90046 View Post
Don't forget Uruguay, the most european Latin Country.

Persians actually are White, Aryan to be exact. Arabs are often mixed White/Tribal but are still very caucasiod.

Def agree with Majoun though, I think the amount of White latino's in LA are underestimated. I would say an equal amount to the Native looking hispanics. In America as a whole though, there are definitely more White Hispanics.
Yes, you're right about Uruguay. I forgot.

OK, let me reply to your two points:

White latinos in LA - there are very very few Latinos in LA that look like your typical man from Spain, much less Germany or the UK. The majority of blue collar ones working as valets, gardeners, cooks etc. look very native. Some look mixed. But almost none look like Europeans. Now in the actual Latin American countries I know that is different, Mexico as we mentioned is 16% European, and they are usually the wealthy.

By the most basic definitions, I understand that Middle Easterners and most "Hispanics" (which isn't a race, though I'd say Hispanic by and large means mixed white and native) can be considered "white"

But the construct of "white" in the United States is based off individuals of European descent. From Portugal to central Russia. Though at different points in history, the Mediterranean and ashkenazi Jewish Europeans were not considered white but they are now.

If you're talking about a "white girl from the Valley", you're not gonna be talking about a Persian, Latina, or Armenian.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2015, 09:30 PM

14,330 posts, read 19,024,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntled la native View Post

White latinos in LA - there are very very few Latinos in LA that look like your typical man from Spain, much less Germany or the UK. The majority of blue collar ones working as valets, gardeners, cooks etc. look very native. Some look mixed. But almost none look like Europeans. Now in the actual Latin American countries I know that is different, Mexico as we mentioned is 16% European, and they are usually the wealthy.

By the most basic definitions, I understand that Middle Easterners and most "Hispanics" (which isn't a race, though I'd say Hispanic by and large means mixed white and native) can be considered "white"

But the construct of "white" in the United States is based off individuals of European descent. From Portugal to central Russia. Though at different points in history, the Mediterranean and ashkenazi Jewish Europeans were not considered white but they are now.

If you're talking about a "white girl from the Valley", you're not gonna be talking about a Persian, Latina, or Armenian.
This is OFF-TOPIC. What the hell does this have to do with the OP's original inquiry about BLACKS in L.A.?

Old 04-18-2015, 09:31 PM

14,330 posts, read 19,024,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew6 View Post
Nope, most of the Central Americans are mestizos and that's very obvious, and non-Hispanic whites aren't all Anglos either.
Who cares? This is OFF-TOPIC. The topic here is about BLACKS in L.A.

Old 04-18-2015, 09:38 PM
AFP

6,070 posts, read 3,632,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
I am Middle Eastern and the most white dude that ever lived although I do get a bit of a tan. Almost all Middle Eastern people are white by any US Census, people of european don't like the fact that North Africans/Middle Easterners can be considered white. Sorry to burst your bubble but the world was started in North Africa and we all descendants from that region.. as much as most people hate Jews, Muslims and Arabs.

What exactly are you saying? The manner in which you worded it doesn't make sense.

Old 04-18-2015, 09:43 PM

4,212 posts, read 6,367,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusNexus View Post
This is OFF-TOPIC. What the hell does this have to do with the OP's original inquiry about BLACKS in L.A.?

The thread is from years ago. seems the topic has gone in another direction.

Old 04-18-2015, 09:47 PM

484 posts, read 452,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntled la native View Post

Yes, I agree with you. It's just kinda hard to talk about race without getting things mixed up, because race is differs by location. Kinda proves how it's a social construct and not scientifically based.

Old 04-18-2015, 10:35 PM
Status: "Certified Victim™ who walked away" (set 3 days ago)

9,121 posts, read 6,781,442 times
Quote:
Don't forget Uruguay, the most european Latin Country.

Persians actually are White, Aryan to be exact. Arabs are often mixed White/Tribal but are still very caucasiod.

Def agree with Majoun though, I think the amount of White latino's in LA are underestimated. I would say an equal amount to the Native looking hispanics. In America as a whole though, there are definitely more White Hispanics.
The link of Iran to European populations is very tenuous and has to do with a modest admixture of R1A, a Halpogroup associated with the Slavic world. I suggest some reading on this if it interests you. Not that the term 'Aryan' ever meant anything at all.

23andme is finding that most Mexicans are about 35% Iberian and mostly native. Mexicans are coming up at 5% sub-Saharan African. See George Lopez.

We as Americans are united by an idea, not a race. Race doesn't matter.

Old 04-18-2015, 10:41 PM
Status: "Certified Victim™ who walked away" (set 3 days ago)

9,121 posts, read 6,781,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusNexus View Post
Who cares? This is OFF-TOPIC. The topic here is about BLACKS in L.A.
Yes, so there are some, but many have left.

Old 04-18-2015, 10:57 PM

484 posts, read 452,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
The link of Iran to European populations is very tenuous and has to do with a modest admixture of R1A, a Halpogroup associated with the Slavic world. I suggest some reading on this if it interests you. Not that the term 'Aryan' ever meant anything at all.

23andme is finding that most Mexicans are about 35% Iberian and mostly native. Mexicans are coming up at 5% sub-Saharan African. See George Lopez.

We as Americans are united by an idea, not a race. Race doesn't matter.
Lol I have seen that George Lopez clip with Mariah Carey.

Most of the threads I've read where Mexicans have shared their 23andme results have all been a majority euro. Actually all of the treads I've read.

Unfortunately, race matters more than it does. But yes, for the most part Americans are united as an ethnic group.

Old 04-19-2015, 06:04 AM

5,817 posts, read 3,095,321 times
Quote:
Yes, I agree with you. It's just kinda hard to talk about race without getting things mixed up, because race is differs by location. Kinda proves how it's a social construct and not scientifically based.
I agree without any DNA studies available the writers of West Side Story put "Arab" in the "white" gang. After ethnic differences were settled it is also where Irish, Jews, Italians, Persians, Armenians, many Latinos who don't volunteer a Hispanic identiy are officially classified by the US Census and treated by the majority of the public who have no clue of a last name to help them segregate. Americans for the most part never subjected the ethics to the single drop rule for almost a century now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles