U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 03-18-2009, 02:09 PM
 
938 posts, read 3,569,096 times
Reputation: 767

Advertisements

^My nabe is 45% Black (extremely high for LA standards). So as far as I'm concerned, I don't have to go anywhere.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-18-2009, 02:15 PM
 
177 posts, read 626,743 times
Reputation: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by antialphabet View Post
Damn, dude, you have a big chip on your shoulder. You always focus on the negative.
Thank god you didn't live during the 50s, 60s, or you'd really have something to be upset about.

You talk about different groups having stereotypes about Blacks, and being rude to Blacks.
But from many of your posts, you say many things that have offended me as a Hispanic, and offensive stuff about other immigrant groups all the time.
A bit hypocritical, no?

Let me ask you this: if you're so bummed out about traditionally Black neighborhoods like South Central going through demographic shifts, why don't you move there yourself to hold down the fort? Don't you live somewhere around Fairfax?
I'm a black Californian native and to tell you the truth I'm getting pretty much fed up with this race junk. Seriously though, when are Angelenos, Californians, and all Americans going to get past this race crap? People are acting like it's the 1960s, the era I'm glad I wasn't born in.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-18-2009, 02:19 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles, CA
1,636 posts, read 2,898,074 times
Reputation: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamerman View Post
I'm a black Californian native and to tell you the truth I'm getting pretty much fed up with this race junk. Seriously though, when are Angelenos, Californians, and all Americans going to get past this race crap? People are acting like it's the 1960s, the era I'm glad I wasn't born in.
It's not even that bad, at least not like it used to be. Things are as integrated as they ever been, and it can only get better as future generations are born into a better environment as far as race issues.

Right now, though, while the stereotypes stick around, I don't think the animosity is being directed towards Blacks as much as before. At least not in LA/California, anyway..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-18-2009, 02:24 PM
 
177 posts, read 626,743 times
Reputation: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by antialphabet View Post
It's not even that bad, at least not like it used to be. Things are as integrated as they ever been, and it can only get better as future generations are born into a better environment as far as race issues.

Right now, though, while the stereotypes stick around, I don't think the animosity is being directed towards Blacks as much as before. At least not in LA/California, anyway..
I sure hope that people don't pass their race issues on to the future generations or else the heat goes on.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-18-2009, 02:25 PM
 
Location: CITY OF ANGELS AND CONSTANT DANGER
5,409 posts, read 11,068,069 times
Reputation: 2244
well racism and prejudice is still alive. thats no suprise. people hate blacks, people hate mexicans. people hate arabs. they all have stereotypes. thug, illegal, terrorist, etc etc. some people are just that ignorant.

but most people in LA get along. it aint a toilet. its a great place to live.

there are all kinds of folk here.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-18-2009, 04:46 PM
 
Location: los angeles
5,031 posts, read 11,054,258 times
Reputation: 1477
Young black kids [teens] do get close scrutiny when walking into stores but so do Latinos. It isn't fair but the reality is that teens do commit shoplifting & store owners are nervous.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-18-2009, 07:16 PM
 
Location: City of Angels
1,288 posts, read 4,578,748 times
Reputation: 661
Quote:
Originally Posted by King0fthehill View Post
My main issue was you using the list in the first place. The overall percentage is still low! LOL. ~900,000 Blacks vs what? 6,000,000 Mexicans?
I never claimed the percentage was high. And what's with this Black versus 6 million Mexicans BS? The OP asked about the black population, not about the Latino population.

Quote:
Originally Posted by King0fthehill View Post
That list is very deceiving and the only reason LA is on that list is due to the sheer size of the city, not because it has a large (in terms of %) Black population, as the list would have one believe.
What's so deceiving? LA has a large black population, period. Just because the percentage is low relative to the overall size of the population doesn't diminish the fact that nearly 900,000 black residents is still a large number. The percentage of blacks in the United Staes in general is low; 13 percent. What's new!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-18-2009, 07:29 PM
 
11,151 posts, read 13,792,939 times
Reputation: 18791
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealAngelion View Post
I never claimed the percentage was high. And what's with this Black versus 6 million Mexicans BS? The OP asked about the black population, not about the Latino population.



What's so deceiving? LA has a large black population, period. Just because the percentage is low relative to the overall size of the population doesn't diminish the fact that nearly 900,000 black residents is still a large number. The percentage of blacks in the United Staes in general is low; 13 percent. What's new!
Perhaps the OP could clarify the question to define whether s/he is asking about the Black population in terms of absolute numbers or percentage of total population?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-18-2009, 11:19 PM
 
Location: Funky Town, Texas
4,000 posts, read 6,922,636 times
Reputation: 1932
What has happened an California is sad. The southern United States need to take note of what is going on in California. Texas and Flordia especially. This is huge news and America needs to pay attention because this is serious. This is not just a few black leaving California but there leaving in massive numbers. I cant imgaine a California without African Americans.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-19-2009, 12:24 AM
 
Location: los angeles
5,031 posts, read 11,054,258 times
Reputation: 1477
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
What has happened an California is sad. The southern United States need to take note of what is going on in California. Texas and Flordia especially. This is huge news and America needs to pay attention because this is serious. This is not just a few black leaving California but there leaving in massive numbers. I cant imgaine a California without African Americans.
You have no idea what you are talking about. Please provide proof that Blacks are leaving California for states in the South. Who would go back to bigotry & ignorance?
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top