U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 03-19-2009, 03:05 PM
 
2,999 posts, read 6,662,881 times
Reputation: 1429

Advertisements

IMHO, it is true that blacks are either moving out of LA to other surrounding areas and or just out of state for one reason or another. To those that posted comments about the South I truly believe that you are making unfair typical generalizations about the South. I personally love GA and TN and the racial issues are not as much of an issue as people and or history has made it out to be. If you lived there recently and feel that it is a racist place then I can understand your sentiments but if you haven't and have seen things from the movies please do not comment.

GA is one of the few places where I have seen with my two eyes blacks and whites living next door to each other (either rich or poor) and even inviting each other over for family dinners, helping with repairs, and letting the kids play with each other. I've rarely experienced such things in CA. But I have noticed that if ethnic groups move to a predominately white neighborhood everyone knows who the new neighbor is and wonders how they could afford to move into their area and or the whites start to move to another area. I remember when Inglewood was all white and as soon as blacks moved into the area whites moved out. The blacks that moved into Inglewood were successful doctors, lawyers, entrepreneurs, etc. There were times when blacks moved into white neighborhoods and it actually made the news. When I use to live in Los Feliz and even Beverly Hills when a place went up for sale you hardly ever saw signs or even new the house was up for sale (you had to be in the know and you had to be white).

There was a time when you saw a mixed group of people going to work downtown in all kinds of positions. When my family moved to CA that was the time when many groups of people moved to CA too.

Growing up in an all white schools and or areas there were few blacks at school. The blacks all new each other. Blacks were often the most popular. But once we graduated from school and looked for jobs and got into the real world it was a whole different thing. Some black people have given up on the possibility of overcoming racisim and the possibility of getting better jobs and or living in a better environment and it is not because of lack of trying to befriend whites, go to school, and or get great jobs.

To the posters that say blacks shouldn't complain and that these are the days of new, give me a BREAK! Just because there is a black President doesn't mean that things have changed (plus I'm not really sure he is even truly running the country). Be honest, what do you think of when you might have to higher,work, or live along side a black? Whites rarely want to hire blacks and when they do it is for a subpar job which is not equivalent to the white counterpart who blacks most likely have to train and who most likely get paid double the black persons salary. It gets pretty frustrating, especially when blacks have to continuisly prove themselves in the work place (more so than any group). Blacks have to constantly audit themselves in the workplace and being ones authentic self is less acceptable.

Sure CA is racist and I have experienced it first hand but I have gotten to a place in life where I can just ignore it or confront it and move on. I don't make excuses for myself and I do believe that if you want something you can figure things out to get it. I also believe that blacks have been moving out of CA because of crime issues in their neighborhoods and or because of the expense. Blacks still aren't getting paid close to what their counterparts make and they want to live just like everyone else with a safe environment, better wages, a nice home and lawn, etc. Most blacks tend to be conservative believe it or not and the South tends to be more conservative and more family orientated than CA. With newer generations coming up things will change. But until that time blacks will be moving to places where they are more accepted, can do business, and or are comfortable (so far it looks to be like the South is fitting the bill).

Also, who ever made the comment about the cell phone use and the jerry-curls is straight up ignorant. Jerry-curls have been out since the 80's and I don't know any black person who has sported one since.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-19-2009, 03:15 PM
 
Location: Funky Town, Texas
4,000 posts, read 6,922,636 times
Reputation: 1932
Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
You have no idea what you are talking about. Please provide proof that Blacks are leaving California for states in the South. Who would go back to bigotry & ignorance?
First off I am a proud represenative of Dallas-Fort Worth, Texas if you didn't know. This aint the 60's in the south. The new south dont have the kind of racial tension that California has. Not one West coast city made the top 10 for best places for blacks to live in work. They where all mostly southern cities.

Most Notable Atlanta, Washington, Dallas, Houston, & Charlotte etc

Black Enterprise magazine: Baltimore hits Top 10 best places to live - Baltimore Business Journal:

What do all these cties have that are similar the black population is not in decline and all these cities have a substantial black middle class.

Here is a article out the Dallas Morning news about black wealth blossoms in Dallas

News for Dallas, Texas | Dallas Morning News (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/news/longterm/stories/062605dnmetbpcoview.46384de4.html - broken link)

Several California cities have seen record numbers of African Americans leaving the city. San Fran and Oakland come to mind.

Heres a article about the decline in San Fran

S.F. moves to stem African American exodus / Critics say effort to reverse longtime trend may be too late

Heres a article about the decline in Oakland

Oakland sees drop in black population | Article from Oakland Tribune | HighBeam Research


Here a article about the decline in Los Angeles

Los Angeles Columns - The Slow Death of a Chocolate City - page 1


Where are all the black residents going tp to the south heres a article out the LA times

"In a Reverse Migration, Blacks Head to New South"

In a Reverse Migration, Blacks Head to New South - Los Angeles Times

California is not so golden as it use to at least for black people. The new south operates very differently from the old south. I can back my evidence up. Maybe you should do some research.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-19-2009, 04:26 PM
 
177 posts, read 626,743 times
Reputation: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayarea-girl View Post
IMHO, it is true that blacks are either moving out of LA to other surrounding areas and or just out of state for one reason or another. To those that posted comments about the South I truly believe that you are making unfair typical generalizations about the South. I personally love GA and TN and the racial issues are not as much of an issue as people and or history has made it out to be. If you lived there recently and feel that it is a racist place then I can understand your sentiments but if you haven't and have seen things from the movies please do not comment.

GA is one of the few places where I have seen with my two eyes blacks and whites living next door to each other (either rich or poor) and even inviting each other over for family dinners, helping with repairs, and letting the kids play with each other. I've rarely experienced such things in CA. But I have noticed that if ethnic groups move to a predominately white neighborhood everyone knows who the new neighbor is and wonders how they could afford to move into their area and or the whites start to move to another area. I remember when Inglewood was all white and as soon as blacks moved into the area whites moved out. The blacks that moved into Inglewood were successful doctors, lawyers, entrepreneurs, etc. There were times when blacks moved into white neighborhoods and it actually made the news. When I use to live in Los Feliz and even Beverly Hills when a place went up for sale you hardly ever saw signs or even new the house was up for sale (you had to be in the know and you had to be white).

There was a time when you saw a mixed group of people going to work downtown in all kinds of positions. When my family moved to CA that was the time when many groups of people moved to CA too.

Growing up in an all white schools and or areas there were few blacks at school. The blacks all new each other. Blacks were often the most popular. But once we graduated from school and looked for jobs and got into the real world it was a whole different thing. Some black people have given up on the possibility of overcoming racisim and the possibility of getting better jobs and or living in a better environment and it is not because of lack of trying to befriend whites, go to school, and or get great jobs.

To the posters that say blacks shouldn't complain and that these are the days of new, give me a BREAK! Just because there is a black President doesn't mean that things have changed (plus I'm not really sure he is even truly running the country). Be honest, what do you think of when you might have to higher,work, or live along side a black? Whites rarely want to hire blacks and when they do it is for a subpar job which is not equivalent to the white counterpart who blacks most likely have to train and who most likely get paid double the black persons salary. It gets pretty frustrating, especially when blacks have to continuisly prove themselves in the work place (more so than any group). Blacks have to constantly audit themselves in the workplace and being ones authentic self is less acceptable.

Sure CA is racist and I have experienced it first hand but I have gotten to a place in life where I can just ignore it or confront it and move on. I don't make excuses for myself and I do believe that if you want something you can figure things out to get it. I also believe that blacks have been moving out of CA because of crime issues in their neighborhoods and or because of the expense. Blacks still aren't getting paid close to what their counterparts make and they want to live just like everyone else with a safe environment, better wages, a nice home and lawn, etc. Most blacks tend to be conservative believe it or not and the South tends to be more conservative and more family orientated than CA. With newer generations coming up things will change. But until that time blacks will be moving to places where they are more accepted, can do business, and or are comfortable (so far it looks to be like the South is fitting the bill).

Also, who ever made the comment about the cell phone use and the jerry-curls is straight up ignorant. Jerry-curls have been out since the 80's and I don't know any black person who has sported one since.
I better get into the internet business quick then so I won't have to worry about bigotry. I don't care what people say, I still love the West.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-19-2009, 04:34 PM
 
2,999 posts, read 6,662,881 times
Reputation: 1429
Bigots are every where and I love the West too! Being isolated was not my point. People should live where ever they are comfortable.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-19-2009, 04:39 PM
 
177 posts, read 626,743 times
Reputation: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayarea-girl View Post
Bigots are every where and I love the West too! Being isolated was not my point. People should live where ever they are comfortable.
I always thought the South and the Midwest often frowned upon people who were in interracial relationships.

I'm a black Western native and I'm not going anywhere.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-19-2009, 04:50 PM
 
Location: los angeles
5,031 posts, read 11,054,258 times
Reputation: 1477
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
First off I am a proud represenative of Dallas-Fort Worth, Texas if you didn't know. This aint the 60's in the south. The new south dont have the kind of racial tension that California has. Not one West coast city made the top 10 for best places for blacks to live in work. They where all mostly southern cities.

Most Notable Atlanta, Washington, Dallas, Houston, & Charlotte etc

Black Enterprise magazine: Baltimore hits Top 10 best places to live - Baltimore Business Journal:

What do all these cties have that are similar the black population is not in decline and all these cities have a substantial black middle class.

Here is a article out the Dallas Morning news about black wealth blossoms in Dallas

News for Dallas, Texas | Dallas Morning News (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/news/longterm/stories/062605dnmetbpcoview.46384de4.html - broken link)

Several California cities have seen record numbers of African Americans leaving the city. San Fran and Oakland come to mind.

Heres a article about the decline in San Fran

S.F. moves to stem African American exodus / Critics say effort to reverse longtime trend may be too late

Heres a article about the decline in Oakland

Oakland sees drop in black population | Article from Oakland Tribune | HighBeam Research


Here a article about the decline in Los Angeles

Los Angeles Columns - The Slow Death of a Chocolate City - page 1


Where are all the black residents going tp to the south heres a article out the LA times

"In a Reverse Migration, Blacks Head to New South"

In a Reverse Migration, Blacks Head to New South - Los Angeles Times

California is not so golden as it use to at least for black people. The new south operates very differently from the old south. I can back my evidence up. Maybe you should do some research.
I appreciate the effort to provide sources & remember reading the LA Weekly article. The point is economical not racial. Who would want to live in a poverty-stricken neighborhood? And for many, Los Angeles [along with San Francisco] is becoming too expensive to buy a home & why places like Palmdale\ Moreno Valley\ Riverside have grown so fast. All racial groups are moving to where it is more affordable not because they want to live with more Blacks or Whites\ Latinos, etc. The immigration outside California is due to cost!

I understand that the South is less brutal toward Blacks then it used to be but it is interesting that among the white populations in several Southern states that Obama got 10% of the vote. Those same areas voted for John Kerry by double that amount. Prejudice is still an issue everywhere but the degree of bigotry is far more evident in Southern states [and that is not good for Blacks or Whites

Last edited by happ; 03-19-2009 at 05:49 PM..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-19-2009, 05:48 PM
 
2,999 posts, read 6,662,881 times
Reputation: 1429
Dreamerman, CA use to frown upon inter-racial relationships too. To tell you the truth in CA the bay area is more open minded when there is inter-racial dating/marrying. In Southern California you will still get looks and a comment here and there. It is better than what it has been but still an issue. No one bats an eye in the Bay and couples don't look all stressed out like they do in other places (mainly LA). In the South there are so many inter-racial relationships I've never noticed a problem. A lot of people in the South like in CA are very hung up on Hispanics.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-19-2009, 05:55 PM
 
Location: los angeles
5,031 posts, read 11,054,258 times
Reputation: 1477
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayarea-girl View Post
Dreamerman, CA use to frown upon inter-racial relationships too. To tell you the truth in CA the bay area is more open minded when there is inter-racial dating/marrying. In Southern California you will still get looks and a comment here and there. It is better than what it has been but still an issue. No one bats an eye in the Bay and couples don't look all stressed out like they do in other places (mainly LA). In the South there are so many inter-racial relationships I've never noticed a problem. A lot of people in the South like in CA are very hung up on Hispanics.
I frankly have a real hard time agreeing with you. Your own observations are difficult to believe. Please be specific & point to real life examples or some sort of documentation that LA has a racial problem.

The usual bagging on LA often motivates some posters who have never even been to Los Angeles
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-19-2009, 06:05 PM
 
2,999 posts, read 6,662,881 times
Reputation: 1429
happ, what are you talking about I grew up in LA and have lived in the Bay area for many years. From first hand experience when I lived in So. Pasadena a police officer held a gun up to me and asked what I was doing in the neighborhood. He later went on to tell me my kind doesn't live around there and they were getting complaints from neighbors and that I fit the profile of someone that has committed a crime in the area (which was not true since I called the police dept myself and later filed a complaint against an officer that had several complaints). I was a student at the time working 5 jobs and no one would hardly believe that I even lived there because my home was not a party place or one I stayed in other than to grab something to eat, shower, study, and sleep. After I showed proof that I lived there he later wanted to enter my home which I refussed. Then he went outside flashed his lights into the house as well as his flash light. When I called the police department they were able to send other officers to the area and by that time he left.

Anyways, for you to say that you need proof about racial dynamics in CA is pretty funny actually I don't have to go any further than to say Rodney King. I guess his beating by white police officers due to the color of his skin has much to do about nothing?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-19-2009, 06:43 PM
 
2,999 posts, read 6,662,881 times
Reputation: 1429
To add, there use to be neighborhoods where blacks couldn't buy homes in CA, blacks have had to pay more for home mortgages, denny's and other restaurants as well as car dealerships would not serve blacks. It goes on and on you know how to use google right? The movie CRASH wouldn't have been birthed if it wasn't based off of some sort of racial issues/tensions LA has. Again, things are not as bad as they use to be as I referenced initially but racism still exists just turn on the talk radio and you will hear a lot of interesting stuff.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top