U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2009, 07:42 PM

177 posts, read 626,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayarea-girl View Post
Dreamerman, CA use to frown upon inter-racial relationships too. To tell you the truth in CA the bay area is more open minded when there is inter-racial dating/marrying. In Southern California you will still get looks and a comment here and there. It is better than what it has been but still an issue. No one bats an eye in the Bay and couples don't look all stressed out like they do in other places (mainly LA). In the South there are so many inter-racial relationships I've never noticed a problem. A lot of people in the South like in CA are very hung up on Hispanics.
I see IR couples out here all the time. It depends where you live. I admit, I would feel a little uncomfortable dating a Hispanic than I would a Caucasian.

I rarely see people bat an eye on black guy/white girl couples. I know California lifted the ban on interracial marriages in 1948.

I have no intentions on leaving Southern California since I was born here. Unless I was bored, I'd probably move to Central like Sacramento.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2009, 07:45 PM

177 posts, read 626,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayarea-girl View Post
To add, there use to be neighborhoods where blacks couldn't buy homes in CA, blacks have had to pay more for home mortgages, denny's and other restaurants as well as car dealerships would not serve blacks. It goes on and on you know how to use google right? The movie CRASH wouldn't have been birthed if it wasn't based off of some sort of racial issues/tensions LA has. Again, things are not as bad as they use to be as I referenced initially but racism still exists just turn on the talk radio and you will hear a lot of interesting stuff.
I know some blacks prefer to stay within the black community. I'm black and I'm trying to get out.

I've seen CRASH many times and I've never encountered any racism in LA. But I do know that racism still exists. It all depends where you live.

Old 03-19-2009, 08:10 PM

2,999 posts, read 6,663,687 times
Dreamerman, if you haven't experienced racism in CA consider yourself lucky and times are a changing. I love CA racism and all. It just bothers me when people say there is no problem and then an incident happens and some get surprised. CA is a GREAT state but just like many places some bad habits are hard to break. In the bay if you date Hispanic, Asian, White, whatever no one blinks. It is very usually here.

Also, I wanted to mention that a lot of blacks moved out of state because they cashed out of their properties that was either left by a parent, grandparent, or self purchase and moved to cheaper places where they can live well. Face it, not only are blacks moving out of the state but a lot of people are. Jobs are hard to come by and the cost of living is still REALLY RIDICULOUS!

Old 03-19-2009, 09:53 PM

5,031 posts, read 11,056,046 times
I am not suggesting that racism doesn't occur in California & have seen it first hand. It is despicable & reveals the ignorance of the individual. But inter-racial marriages\ dating is a non-issue. Incidents with some racial police officers can not be denied but I am Anglo & have had some ugly encounters with police also. Once I was driving into a gas station & must have been going a little fast. Some cops happened to be nearby & came over to me wanting to know if I was drunk. They pushed me up against the gas meter & cuffed me accusing me of being a "smart ass." After about 20 minutes in cuffs they let me go but not after telling me that they'd like to kick my butt One cop was Latino & the other was Anglo. I'm I to conclude that they hate young males?

I certainly remember the Rodney King incident & fully understood the outrage over the ridiculous Simi Valley jury's decision [Simi Valley is in Ventura county & nearly all white]. But I also remember the OJ Simpson trial & the verdict of a mostly black jury.

I know enough about the South to caution any Black bros to be very careful in rural areas. Remember the horrible killing of a black man [dragged behind a truck] in some Texas town a few years ago? Wherever there are lots of Republicans there are bigots\ racists

Old 03-20-2009, 12:54 AM

2,999 posts, read 6,663,687 times
happ, btw I am a woman. But you have a point that some officers have a problem with males. When OJ was acquitted I remember going into work and my social circles and people were really upset and I know a lot of blacks were feeling the backlash since a lot of white people were upset with the verdict. It is sad because the OJ trial should not have been viewed as a black and or white issue but ultimatley that is what it came down to and in those types of situations is when racism veers its ugly head. All around it was a tragic case and I do feel that it came down to his celebrity more than his race and I know others see it differently. But there have been many cases against white athletes for beating their wives or committing some type of crime yet they got off because of their celebrity. After, the first OJ verdict CA saddened me a bit because of the racial tension that followed and or the reality of it not dying.

Old 03-20-2009, 01:08 AM

2,262 posts, read 2,691,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ransomed View Post
What a joke.
This happ character is quite radical with the ultra leftist viewpoint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
I am not suggesting that racism doesn't occur in California & have seen it first hand. It is despicable & reveals the ignorance of the individual. But inter-racial marriages\ dating is a non-issue. 1. Incidents with some racial police officers can not be denied but I am Anglo & have had some ugly encounters with police also. Once I was driving into a gas station & must have been going a little fast. Some cops happened to be nearby & came over to me wanting to know if I was drunk. 2. They pushed me up against the gas meter & cuffed me accusing me of being a "smart ass." After about 20 minutes in cuffs they let me go but not after telling me that they'd like to kick my butt One cop was Latino & the other was Anglo. I'm I to conclude that they hate young males?

I certainly remember the Rodney King incident & fully understood the outrage over the ridiculous Simi Valley jury's decision [Simi Valley is in Ventura county & nearly all white]. But I also remember the OJ Simpson trial & the verdict of a mostly black jury.

3. I know enough about the South to caution any Black bros to be very careful in rural areas. Remember the horrible killing of a black man [dragged behind a truck] in some Texas town a few years ago? Wherever there are lots of Republicans there are bigots\ racists
1. So, any non-hispanic white is an Anglo I'm guessing? That is an idiotic term (when used to describe non-hispanic whites and not specifically people of English heritage) to simplify a diverse group of people.

2. If you conducted yourself towards the cops in the manner than you conduct yourself on this board, then I'm guessing they had their reasons for being harsh on you. Nobody likes getting pulled over by cops, but citizens need to respect law enforcement and then take the matter up with local officials if they feel they were mistreated.

3. So, the Republican party is to blame for the horrible death of James Byrd, Jr? You have really outdone yourself buddy, that is a truly horrible thing to say.

Last edited by D-Towner; 03-20-2009 at 01:24 AM..

Old 03-20-2009, 02:28 AM

9,716 posts, read 12,942,815 times
I'm a semi-Anglo who has grown weary of all race debates.

Yeah, a lot of stuff happened in the past. A lot of it would not happen today.

I personally like LA because I see a lot of racial mingling... I see all colors turning out for the big Chinatown parade for the Chinese New Years in January. I see all colors in a lot of downtown LA.

In my own neighborhood (Glendale) supposedly blacks are around 1% but I think they are a much higher percentage (and this will come out when they do the next census) because I see a lot of blacks everyday. I think the percentage is going to be a lot higher than 1%.

If blacks really want to live in a special place where they can live all together, then they should find that place. Go out and create a total African American community. It's not impossible to do.

I find more blacks actually want to live in diverse communities. As stupid as this is going to sound -- everyone likes to share their culture. In a diverse community, blacks share just like everyone else. It's a lot of fun in places where everyone has a different background. The barbeque grill becomes an international meeting place.

Old 03-20-2009, 06:04 AM

19 posts, read 43,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trajjic View Post
The black population has dropped from 26% in the 80's in Los Angeles to 8.9% now. Most are going south most blacks who are leaving Los Angeles are going to cities in Texas such as Dallas, Houston, (Austin which has seen a boom in it's black population) And some have gone to Atlanta. The fact is most of us are fed up in Cali with the B.S. so were getting the Moderator cut: heck out. Los Angeles remind me of the old south the way they treat blacks here. This is one black man who is part of the great reverse migration to the south.

Obviously you are not from Texas or don't know anyone from Texas.
I am a native of Texas and it is still "backwoods". If you think leaving a city like LA and moving to the South you will escape racism, you are foolish.

Racism has always been the worst in the south. Hell, if it is racist in LA then it is racist everywhere! The south is for damn sure.
You stated:"Austin which has seen a boom in it's black population" this is totally false. You can research The Austin American Statesman and read about the race issues.
I know some AAs who went to Univ of Texas and couldn't wait to leave. The city population is predominately white and hispanic. The AA population has declined tremendously not that is was ever large. AAs leave Austin for Dallas or Houston.
Not to be rude, but please make sure when making statements like that, you have the facts.
Thats why it is hard to take opinions on these forums because people don't always have the facts or know.

Last edited by Monica2009; 03-20-2009 at 06:20 AM..

Old 03-20-2009, 06:48 AM

16,584 posts, read 32,648,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
Wherever there are lots of Republicans there are bigots\ racists

I live in a heavily Democratic area.... lots of Latinos. If I had a nickle for everytime I heard "pinche mayate*" tossed around, I'd be able to retire.

*Mayate = the South of the border "n" word.

Old 03-20-2009, 09:17 AM

1,636 posts, read 2,898,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
I live in a heavily Democratic area.... lots of Latinos. If I had a nickle for everytime I heard "pinche mayate*" tossed around, I'd be able to retire.

*Mayate = the South of the border "n" word.
Yup. Didn't you know? Brown is the new redneck White! Can we just start projecting all the negative stereotypes to Latinos all ready? We don't have enough at the moment.

Move to the south! Anything's better than a Latino neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles