Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 02:23 PM

938 posts, read 4,082,415 times

Advertisements

^ woah, woah, woah..stop it right there

I'm a big fan of several "Hispanic" (whatever the hell that mythical term means) neighborhods, namely Westlake, Pico-Union, Echo Park and Boyle Heights. Especially the cachet; redeeming architectural qualities and the devoid of pretention nature of those neighborhoods. Choc full of urbanity, character and personality, but also choc full of largely harmless, working class, warm, godfearing souls.

The people are (usually) nice, and go out of their way to help me, barring the gang bangers of course. And I've noticed there's a real sense of cohesion and neighborhood in many of such neighborhoods. You know, people look out for each other and greet you when you're walking down the street, regulars remembering your name and preferences, etc. Little vestiges of urban america that have since departed.

Oh, and I can't make such a post without celebrating the tasty food options. The carnicerias, panaderias, taco trucks, fruit carts, bacon wrapped hot dogs, tamaleros, palateros, etc etc. Man, its like an odyssey into the world of street food
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2009, 02:39 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,789,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King0fthehill View Post
I'm pretty sure that this:

Move to the south! Anything's better than a Latino neighborhood.

was meant to be tongue-in-cheek .....

(I hope ... )

Old 03-20-2009, 02:44 PM

938 posts, read 4,082,415 times
I know, I know

Old 03-20-2009, 02:46 PM

177 posts, read 704,621 times
Quote:

I'm a big fan of several "Hispanic" (whatever the hell that mythical term means) neighborhods, namely Westlake, Pico-Union, Echo Park and Boyle Heights. Especially the cachet; redeeming architectural qualities and the devoid of pretention nature of those neighborhoods. Choc full of urbanity, character and personality, but also choc full of largely harmless, working class, warm, godfearing souls.

The people are (usually) nice, and go out of their way to help me, barring the gang bangers of course. And I've noticed there's a real sense of cohesion and neighborhood in many of such neighborhoods. You know, people look out for each other and greet you when you're walking down the street, regulars remembering your name and preferences, etc. Little vestiges of urban america that have since departed.

Oh, and I can't make such a post without celebrating the tasty food options. The carnicerias, panaderias, taco trucks, fruit carts, bacon wrapped hot dogs, tamaleros, palateros, etc etc. Man, its like an odyssey into the world of street food
And I'm a big fan of the Westside, despite becoming predominantly white but has a fair share of diversity. Venice and West LA is one of my favorite spots to hang out.

Old 03-20-2009, 03:08 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,572,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Towner View Post
This happ character is quite radical with the ultra leftist viewpoint.

1. So, any non-hispanic white is an Anglo I'm guessing? That is an idiotic term (when used to describe non-hispanic whites and not specifically people of English heritage) to simplify a diverse group of people.

2. If you conducted yourself toward the cops in the manner than you conduct yourself on this board, then I'm guessing they had their reasons for being harsh on you. Nobody likes getting pulled over by cops, but citizens need to respect law enforcement and then take the matter up with local officials if they feel they were mistreated.

3. So, the Republican party is to blame for the horrible death of James Byrd, Jr? You have really outdone yourself buddy, that is a truly horrible thing to say.
WoW I guess I stirred-up reaction from somebody who lives in Texas [odd that you participate so often on the LA\ California forums].

Yes, "Anglo" means European white ancestry as opposed to "Latino" for Spanish-speaking whites\ blacks\ native Americans, etc. Nothing to get upset over

I did not disrespect the police but maybe a little cocky. None-the-less their behavioral was wrong. All the threats & rough treatment were inexcusable. They thought my car was stolen and got that wrong so the cops took it out on me. This kind of thing happens to Latino & Black kids on a regular basis, btw.

The overwhelming number of rural white people in Texas\ the South are Republican. In-fact the GOP is now called the party of the South. The history of ugly racial incidents in the South is well-documented. Blacks, fortunately have large numbers in rural areas of Texas but racial integration as we know it in Los Angeles does not exist in the South.

Old 03-20-2009, 04:24 PM

10,012 posts, read 9,441,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
I am not suggesting that racism doesn't occur in California & have seen it first hand. It is despicable & reveals the ignorance of the individual. But inter-racial marriages\ dating is a non-issue. Incidents with some racial police officers can not be denied but I am Anglo & have had some ugly encounters with police also. Once I was driving into a gas station & must have been going a little fast. Some cops happened to be nearby & came over to me wanting to know if I was drunk. They pushed me up against the gas meter & cuffed me accusing me of being a "smart ass." After about 20 minutes in cuffs they let me go but not after telling me that they'd like to kick my butt One cop was Latino & the other was Anglo. I'm I to conclude that they hate young males?
I certainly remember the Rodney King incident & fully understood the outrage over the ridiculous Simi Valley jury's decision [Simi Valley is in Ventura county & nearly all white]. But I also remember the OJ Simpson trial & the verdict of a mostly black jury.

I know enough about the South to caution any Black bros to be very careful in rural areas. Remember the horrible killing of a black man [dragged behind a truck] in some Texas town a few years ago? Wherever there are lots of Republicans there are bigots\ racists
No.....you can conclude that they hate smart asses.

Old 03-20-2009, 04:36 PM

10,012 posts, read 9,441,495 times
Quote:
Wherever there are lots of Republicans there are bigots\ racists

There is just as much racism in the Democratic party, along with every race, be it Blacks, Whites, Latinos, Asians, etc.

Remember, mentioning racism in races other than White Non-hispanics is not politically correct.

Old 03-20-2009, 05:05 PM

2,904 posts, read 3,482,616 times
Quote:
WoW I guess I stirred-up reaction from somebody who lives in Texas [odd that you participate so often on the LA\ California forums].

Yes, "Anglo" means European white ancestry as opposed to "Latino" for Spanish-speaking whites\ blacks\ native Americans, etc. Nothing to get upset over

I did not disrespect the police but maybe a little cocky. None-the-less their behavioral was wrong. All the threats & rough treatment were inexcusable. They thought my car was stolen and got that wrong so the cops took it out on me. This kind of thing happens to Latino & Black kids on a regular basis, btw.

The overwhelming number of rural white people in Texas\ the South are Republican. In-fact the GOP is now called the party of the South. The history of ugly racial incidents in the South is well-documented. Blacks, fortunately have large numbers in rural areas of Texas but racial integration as we know it in Los Angeles does not exist in the South.
Yes, and many of the racial incidents happened when the democrats had control over the south.

Old 03-20-2009, 05:11 PM

92,142 posts, read 122,355,529 times
Quote:
In short: Its already happened, to a certain degree anyways.

Whites came from the burbs during the urban renaissance, settling in many urban locales, effectively "trading" spaces with Blacks and Hispanics, who left those very urban locales in favor of suburbs/exurbs.

Downtown LA, Echo Park, Silverlake, Mount Washington, Eagle Rock, Hollywood and even Koreatown (though its a bit tricky because lots of $$$ Koreans built - and occupied those luxury condos) were all good examples of this. The process was even in its infancy in such places like Westlake, Pico-Union, Highland Park, West Adams/Jefferson Park (upper middle class Blacks moving in here, though), parts of Boyle Heights, etc etc. In "return", Blacks moved in sizable numbers to Lancaster, Palmdale, Fontana, San Bernandino, Victorville and Rialto. Hell, Altadena is 31.4% Black! Hispanics flocked to many of those suburbs as well, though they were often in many cases joined by immigrants straight from Mexico, El Salvador, Guatemala, etc.

So yes, in essence, it has already happened.
I thought Altadena has always had a good sized Black population.

Old 03-20-2009, 05:11 PM

476 posts, read 2,803,431 times
I think there is a quite important percentage of African Americans in Sacramento

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 03-20-2009 at 05:49 PM.. Reason: The abbreviation was unclear ... ;)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles