U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-19-2009, 01:05 PM
 
2,516 posts, read 7,554,640 times
Reputation: 2394

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinnieC View Post
Just needed to chime in here.There is abosolutely nothing wrong with Baldwin Hills,yes you are near the Jungle,but you will not venturing into the Jungle for any needs.There are no stores in the Jungle! If public schools are an issue check out View Park/Windsor Hills both areas have good elementary public schools and a good portion of these areas are joined with Westchester middle and high schools. Also,there is nothing wrong with living in a predominantly Black Neighborhood if that is what you prefer. I grew up in Windsor Hills and went to a very diverse school. Not only did " I know I was Black"I also had friends of ALL races. So stop it already!People live where they feel most comfortable. This is L.A. you can live in a great area and just 10 minutes away a be in a bad area from just about any city.Maybe,this person wants to be centrally located. That is reason enough not to go with Sherman Oaks or Woodland Hills. Yes,the 2010 census will be interesting you will notice an influx in White,Asian and Hispanic families in these areas you are steering people away from. Other races are starting to realize that these are great areas,maybe you should also. Other areas that show true diversity that I would consider are Westchester and Culver City you can definitely find something good for your price range and both are centrally located and very safe.
What is it you would like me to stop doing, offering explanations with which you appear to agree almost wholeheartedly? Your ire seems a tad misdirected.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-19-2009, 04:43 PM
 
76 posts, read 307,504 times
Reputation: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by katenik View Post
What is it you would like me to stop doing, offering explanations with which you appear to agree almost wholeheartedly? Your ire seems a tad misdirected.

Exactly the contrary. I did not agree with most of what you posted that why I gave my opinion. I believe that is the whole premise of the forum, multiple opinions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-21-2009, 12:18 AM
 
2,516 posts, read 7,554,640 times
Reputation: 2394
Quote:
Originally Posted by WinnieC View Post
Exactly the contrary. I did not agree with most of what you posted that why I gave my opinion. I believe that is the whole premise of the forum, multiple opinions.
Then you need to read again. I suspect comprehension problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-21-2009, 01:33 PM
 
830 posts, read 2,507,350 times
Reputation: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRAMAGIRL322 View Post
Thank you for the helpful advice, I will def look into those areas.

P.S. I'm not the hair stylist (I envy those skills.....could barely do a cool ponytail.... ugh!), I own a clothing line.

So are you an actress that can only afford $1,200 for rent, or a small business owner, the owner of a clothing line that can now afford an $800k-$900k house? Because you've said you're both.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-21-2009, 01:46 PM
 
Location: Planet Earth
1,078 posts, read 2,774,914 times
Reputation: 824
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoman View Post
So are you an actress that can only afford $1,200 for rent, or a small business owner, the owner of a clothing line that can now afford an $800k-$900k house? Because you've said you're both.
busted
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-21-2009, 02:03 PM
 
Location: SoCal - Sherman Oaks & Woodland Hills
12,977 posts, read 28,829,391 times
Reputation: 10491
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoman View Post
So are you an actress that can only afford $1,200 for rent, or a small business owner, the owner of a clothing line that can now afford an $800k-$900k house? Because you've said you're both.
LMAO!!! So busted!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-21-2009, 03:56 PM
 
76 posts, read 307,504 times
Reputation: 32
What I don't agree with is in red:

Quote:
Originally Posted by katenik View Post
As they say, "it's a black thing." Some black people do not desire to live in ethnically/racially mixed neighborhoods, and if you're one of those people, and CAN spend that much on a house, Baldwin Hills etc. are attractive options.


Baldwin Hills and it's surrounding cities are becoming more mixed every year.
Ladera has always had a significant White Pop (18-20%).Next years census will show that Baldwin Hills/Windsor and ViewPark are catching up quick.

The people I know who feel that way either A) blame their kids (the "I want my kids to know they're black" argument;

Your point is... What's wrong with wanting your children to be surrounded with successful Black professionals???

B) are of an age to remember restrictive covenants that kept them (or their parents) out of the better neighborhoods, and don't trust that times have changed and they would be welcome in any neighborhood they choose to live; or C) were unduly influenced by the tales of B.


I don't believe that is the reason.The people who can afford these areas are professionals and no doubt work with White people all the time.


Like it or not, some people really would rather live a stone's throw from The Jungle, than next door to you in Woodland Hills or Sherman Oaks. That's just the way it is.
Like I said just about anywhere in Los Angeles is less than a 10 minute commute from a bad area. Like it or not centrally located areas of Los Angeles are becoming more and more popular as time goes by. More and more people of all races are choosing to move inland as opposed to Woodland Hills or Sherman Oaks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-02-2009, 06:38 AM
 
Location: Valley Glen,CA
32 posts, read 112,234 times
Reputation: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBeez View Post
Cool. Are you the girl who is a hair stylist? I cant remember.

With your budget, I would choose a much nicer location with better schools. Am I wrong in assuming that you are black because of your choice of Balwin Hills? There are other much nicer diverse areas to consider than there. With your budget I would seriously consider Burbank, Glendale or even the Lake Balboa area. There are some grate deals to be made right now in those areas.

Burbank and Glendale would have much better schools (not LAUSD) and you'll be 15-20 minutes from Downtown even on high traffic days. If you choose Lake Balboa, you are Encino adjacent which is a very nice area but make sure you are in Birmingham High school district and not Reseda or Van Nuys. Baldwin Hills will not give you great resell $$$ on your property and you'll still need to venture into Jungle area for shopping (market, drug store, etc.) unless you want to drive further into Fox Hills/Culver City area.

You also mentioned that you would like to be in a commutable distance to downtown LA. Will you be going there daily? Weekly?
I'm the hairstylist you're talking about. And i am still undecided about where to move to in LA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top