U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What landmark?
Hollywood Sign 9 18.75%
Grauman's Chinese Theatre 2 4.17%
Walk of the Stars 0 0%
Hollywood Bowl 5 10.42%
Griffith Park Observatory 9 18.75%
Capitol Records Building 3 6.25%
Whiskey a go go 0 0%
Santa Monica Pier 7 14.58%
Chateau Marmont 0 0%
Other 13 27.08%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 08:23 AM

69,278 posts, read 79,447,244 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
Those are important/significant landmarks to varying degrees. But I'll have to propose the Westin Bonaventure Hotel, City Hall, Angel's Flight, Dorothy Chandler Pavilion, the Hollywood Bowl, and (crazy as it sounds) the Four Level Interchange.
of course Angel's Flight is one that comes to my mind as well. I voted for the Hollywood Bowl because as a teen ager and early in our college days our best dates were when guys would take us to the bowl for concerts during the summer: biggest thrill for me, seeing Nat King Cole in 1955 (now you know how old I am)

Other landmarks that come to mind: of course Dodger Stadium, the Dodges moved to L.A. the year we were married. Onother would be China Town and the Grand Central Market..Again, I am showing my age big time...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2009, 11:03 AM

7,091 posts, read 18,417,215 times
For me it is the beach. I don't think there is a specific beach that is most important to me, but generally speaking, when I think of LA when coming home from out of town, I think of the beach, the ocean, and the palm trees.

Old 03-19-2009, 11:23 AM

1,248 posts, read 2,999,999 times
The beach first and foremost. Griffith Park Observatory second. Great architecture and killer views on clear days.

Old 03-19-2009, 01:12 PM

2,516 posts, read 7,548,358 times
The Theme (or whatever name it has now) at LAX. Always comforting to walk out of the terminal and see it, and know that I'm back home.

Old 03-19-2009, 01:28 PM

5,031 posts, read 11,054,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
of course Angel's Flight is one that comes to my mind as well. I voted for the Hollywood Bowl because as a teen ager and early in our college days our best dates were when guys would take us to the bowl for concerts during the summer: biggest thrill for me, seeing Nat King Cole in 1955 (now you know how old I am)

Other landmarks that come to mind: of course Dodger Stadium, the Dodges moved to L.A. the year we were married. Onother would be China Town and the Grand Central Market..Again, I am showing my age big time...
Really appreciate your contributions [it would be great to see some photos of LA in the 1950's.

Of-course the beach is really the best landmark. The days spent at Venice\ Will Rodgers\ Pacific Palisades beaches are great memories. I still go to the beach but hate fighting traffic\ parking. We took friends from New York to the beach at Castellammare last summer & the beauty of the mountains against the blue sea was really nice. Also went to the Getty Villa for a night time Greek play as we looked out over the Pacific

Old 03-19-2009, 01:42 PM

5,409 posts, read 11,068,069 times
Dodger stadium.
Great Western Forum.
Watts towers.
First Interstate Building. (because otherwise our skyline is boring, and the new ritz/marriot obstructs the skyline view a bit. it Def. doesnt add to it, but thats a different conversation.)
the Whittier Blvd Sign.
the Bridges crossing the River.
the RIVER "BED".
the RR tracks that criss cross vernon and southeast LA.
Patriot Hall
the Ports (and bridges)
Broadway (from tip to tip)

those are some of them. the ones with most personal significance at least.

the other ones like the HLYWD sign and capitol records, walk of fame, etc etc. dont really have any significance to me. ive lived here all my life (with a stint up in in the bay) and i have never been to manns chinese. never been to a lot of those hollywood spots. for history sure i would go, will they mean much to me? not really.

Old 03-19-2009, 01:43 PM

1,248 posts, read 2,999,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
Really appreciate your contributions [it would be great to see some photos of LA in the 1950's.

Of-course the beach is really the best landmark. The days spent at Venice\ Will Rodgers\ Pacific Palisades beaches are great memories. I still go to the beach but hate fighting traffic\ parking. We took friends from New York to the beach at Castellammare last summer & the beauty of the mountains against the blue sea was really nice. Also went to the Getty Villa for a night time Greek play as we looked out over the Pacific
I have a strange affection for Dockweiler. Nothing like being right under a 747 blasting out of LAX while standing on the beach...

Old 03-19-2009, 01:56 PM

5,031 posts, read 11,054,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
Dodger stadium.
Great Western Forum.
Watts towers.
First Interstate Building. (because otherwise our skyline is boring, and the new ritz/marriot obstructs the skyline view a bit. it Def. doesnt add to it, but thats a different conversation.)
the Whittier Blvd Sign.
the Bridges crossing the River.
the RIVER "BED".
the RR tracks that criss cross vernon and southeast LA.
Patriot Hall
the Ports (and bridges)
Broadway (from tip to tip)

those are some of them. the ones with most personal significance at least.

the other ones like the HLYWD sign and capitol records, walk of fame, etc etc. dont really have any significance to me. ive lived here all my life (with a stint up in in the bay) and i have never been to manns chinese. never been to a lot of those hollywood spots. for history sure i would go, will they mean much to me? not really.
I have gone a few times to the Chinese\ El Capitan [live pre-shows w/ Twinkle Bell on a wire overhead ] the Egyptian\ Cinerama, etc because they are great theaters. I can take the trains into Hollywood so traffic\parking are non-issues. Otherwise I go to local movie theaters.

I'd like to know what your misgivings are with the LA-Live hotels?

Old 03-19-2009, 02:30 PM

294 posts, read 771,638 times
Talking Most Important Landmark to me?

Hmmmmmm, I'm gonna have to say Griiffith Park observatory that is where the Autobots dwells.

Old 03-19-2009, 02:36 PM

1,612 posts, read 3,257,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
For whatever reason? Maybe personal significance, you think it has most significance to the city etc...Not the greatest, most visited.etc.
I have always liked the Pointy Building downtown! It subbed for the Daily Planet on the old Superman TV series. It always says LA for me when ever I see it!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles