U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What landmark?
Hollywood Sign 9 18.75%
Grauman's Chinese Theatre 2 4.17%
Walk of the Stars 0 0%
Hollywood Bowl 5 10.42%
Griffith Park Observatory 9 18.75%
Capitol Records Building 3 6.25%
Whiskey a go go 0 0%
Santa Monica Pier 7 14.58%
Chateau Marmont 0 0%
Other 13 27.08%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 02:42 PM

15,088 posts, read 16,932,393 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mysterious View Post
Hmmmmmm, I'm gonna have to say Griiffith Park observatory that is where the Autobots dwells.
Well if we're going to go the movie route, then I'll add the US Bank Tower. If it is good enough for the aliens in Independence Day to 'park' their ship centered over it and then blow it up, it is good enough for me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Trails View Post
I have always liked the Pointy Building downtown! It subbed for the Daily Planet on the old Superman TV series. It always says LA for me when ever I see it!!!
City Hall?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2009, 04:16 PM

23 posts, read 33,085 times
The Hollywood Sign, because I have lived below it (within hiking distance) for most of my life. I like coming home to LAX, driving to the top of LaBrea past Inglewood, and seeing the sign across the valley, and knowing exactly where I'm going. I have a rendering of it hanging over my fireplace. It just means HOME.

Old 03-19-2009, 06:24 PM

26,346 posts, read 80,751,010 times
Another landmark, The cat face drains in the LA River just east of and parallel to the 5 near Griffith Park:

Here's one that I remember from the 1960s.

An hour ago we drove by what used to be the Malibu Sea Lion restaurant, now Dukes.

Malibu Sea Lion 1957

Old 03-19-2009, 07:28 PM

2,884 posts, read 5,038,465 times
Its funny, out of the list I've never been to the chateau marmont or whiskey a go go. Havent been to Dodger Stadium in 15 years probably. Long time.

Probably now, my fav is Hollywood Bowl.

The hollywood sign I dont pay much attention to.

Agree with Angels Flight downtown.

Old 03-20-2009, 04:25 PM

5,409 posts, read 11,068,069 times
initially i had no problem with the ritz. i would drive past the ditch of a lot before it was even a skeleton. it seemed like a good spot. and even now when i emerge from 7th street metro station on the blue line i think it is a very nice building. i like the curves it has. i love the color. everything seemed fine. even when i was at ground level the other day, it seemed really nice.

but then i was riding along in my friends car, headed east bound, coming from the west side and i saw the building in a new light. i was not happy. for the first time i realized how distant it was from the rest of the other tall buildings. thats not so much the problem. it took me a while to get used to the transamerica/att building after all. my biggest qualm was that it obstructed the view of the skyline from the 10 fwy (as well as other points). it just seemed like a lonely little building. but it was a building that took away from the skyline instead of adding to it. it felt very seperate.

since i noticed this i have sought other vantage points. and in some it seems to work, tho it looks smaller and not really memorable form those perspectives.

it just doesnt seem right. maybe when its done it will add some drama to the skyline, but as of now, the ritz is not very pleasing, aesthetically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
I have gone a few times to the Chinese\ El Capitan [live pre-shows w/ Twinkle Bell on a wire overhead ] the Egyptian\ Cinerama, etc because they are great theaters. I can take the trains into Hollywood so traffic\parking are non-issues. Otherwise I go to local movie theaters.

I'd like to know what your misgivings are with the LA-Live hotels?

Old 03-21-2009, 06:48 AM

15,400 posts, read 25,253,389 times
I lived in LA for 20+ years, then moved to the east coast. Seeing LA landmarks in a movie or on the news tugs at my heart, but some are more stirring than others.

Believe it or not, the one that always gets me is any overhead shot of the freeway. I love trying to guess what intersections are being driven through when they show car chases or a traffic report. A long camera pan down the 405 makes me downright sentimental.

Also, overhead shots of the beaches, especially when they show a distinct feature like Marina del Ray. The Manhattan Beach Pier makes it into all sorts of commercials--I love seeing that.

Old 03-21-2009, 12:59 PM

5,031 posts, read 11,054,258 times
The Observatory was featured in an old movie, Rebel without a Cause, with the deceased actor, James Dean. That movie was the first time I ever saw the Observatory [I was raised in Chico] but every time I go up to the Observatory I think of that movie.

Old 03-23-2009, 12:45 AM

571 posts, read 1,671,870 times
These are all basically hollywood places.. my vote is for Olvera Street

Old 03-23-2009, 09:39 AM

69,273 posts, read 79,447,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasksgirl View Post
These are all basically hollywood places.. my vote is for Olvera Street
Another good one, it is what Los Angeles was all about many years ago and filled with history...I never thought of that..

Nita

Old 03-23-2009, 10:24 AM

147 posts, read 338,695 times
The La Brea Tar Pits, and there once was a place called POP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles