U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2009, 10:48 PM

7 posts, read 14,311 times

Advertisements

I'm a student in College doing Hospitality Management with Business - one day I want to set up a business in the Los Angeles Area, Anaheim etc.

So my question is, what's the best type of business to invest in Los Angeles?

Nightclubs? Bed and Breakfast? Retail Stores? Spa's?

Any feedback and opinions are appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2009, 12:07 AM

2,871 posts, read 4,463,619 times
A brick and mortar business is a gamble, as your teachers have probable told you. You're probably aware of the failure rates of restaurants/bars. What I would investigate first is an outdoor mall cart. I know carts for indoor malls are rather expensive. I think a lot of people would be surprised: up to $5K/month, then up to $12K/month during the holidays. But the returns can be fantastic if you have a product that sells, compared to a retail store in a poor traffic neighborhood. Nevermind the difference in cost to actual mall real estate.

The outdoor mall cart might be cheaper and more effective, and this is my particular idea for one: solar accessories. The green industry. Solar cellphone chargers can go for about $30-$50. That's about a good impulse buy price point. Laptop solar cells are more, but very attractive. What you need is a product that you can actively demonstrate. In fact, you could offer to recharge cellphones at $3 a pop, all the while pitching the product. You'd even have a built-in bark, "Need your cellphone recharged?"

You might want to check where it might be possible to set up. In a business district, food court where there's a sitting audience to capture, strike a deal with a coffee shop if they're in a zone for sidewalk business. The big downside is you have to be present at all times and that can be tedious, and you'd have to work out evening business. You might have to buy capacitors to keep the chargers running.

Edited to add: Also, you might speak to a business that installs solar power to become a sales representative. They might help pay for your business and/or offer a good commission. Solar power is where it's at in the SoCal of the future.

Last edited by Bunjee; 03-19-2009 at 12:38 AM..

Old 03-19-2009, 09:13 AM

69,382 posts, read 79,577,446 times
what would be best today and what will work years down the road is anyone's guess. As already mentioned, the survival rate is very low, so make sure you are prepared and have enough backing before you get started. Work in the industry, learn all you can and then pray a lot. It sounds like you realize you need to wait several more years.

good luck, it sounds like something that would be fun...BandBs are gaining in popularity all the time.

Nita

Old 03-19-2009, 10:07 AM

12,977 posts, read 28,833,519 times
Asking strangers on a forum is hardly what I would call doing your due diligence.

A very wise man who I was fortunate enough to work for for a number of years once told me that find something that you really enjoy doing and you'll never have to work a day in your life. So instead of asking people on a forum what you should invest in, you should ask yourself what do YOU enjoy doing. Then you will have your answer.

What college to you go to? Or is this one of those threads where the OP never replies or maybe only once.

Old 03-19-2009, 11:05 AM

69,382 posts, read 79,577,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBeez View Post
Asking strangers on a forum is hardly what I would call doing your due diligence.

A very wise man who I was fortunate enough to work for for a number of years once told me that find something that you really enjoy doing and you'll never have to work a day in your life. So instead of asking people on a forum what you should invest in, you should ask yourself what do YOU enjoy doing. Then you will have your answer.

What college to you go to? Or is this one of those threads where the OP never replies or maybe only once.
oh, you have noticed those threads also? Or the ones where the story keeps changing...

Nita

Old 03-19-2009, 12:14 PM

18 posts, read 45,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBeez View Post

now that is the truth!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or