Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2007, 02:23 AM

35 posts, read 205,540 times

Advertisements

I read the message boards about racism and there is a lot of hostility aimed at African Americans. Lots of races want to dress Black, talk Black, act Black, but don't want to be Black. After all this time, after all the strides we have made, why are we still saddled with negative stereotypes? I am tired of people seeing "Black, lazy, unintelligent" when they first see me. I go to school full time, work part-time, and I am raising a child. My grade point average has always been 3.0 or better. So why do I have to prove myself everywhere I go? Is there anyone out there who doesn't have a negative image of Black people? Please help. Being Black is not a crime, but it certainly feels like it.

Old 03-25-2007, 02:45 AM

923 posts, read 3,512,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Invisible View Post
I read the message boards about racism and there is a lot of hostility aimed at African Americans. Lots of races want to dress Black, talk Black, act Black, but don't want to be Black. After all this time, after all the strides we have made, why are we still saddled with negative stereotypes? I am tired of people seeing "Black, lazy, unintelligent" when they first see me. I go to school full time, work part-time, and I am raising a child. My grade point average has always been 3.0 or better. So why do I have to prove myself everywhere I go? Is there anyone out there who doesn't have a negative image of Black people? Please help. Being Black is not a crime, but it certainly feels like it.
Not anyone I know...
Live and let live, it will set you free...Let Go of the Hate

Old 03-25-2007, 04:50 AM

786 posts, read 4,731,543 times
Default In my recent trips to LA (and throughout Southern CA) I saw few Blacks

As an African American myself, I can relate to your question. I grew up in the Midwest with White people. I was a minority in my hometown so basically grew up in a small town white culture. I did not grow up in the Black ghetto culture. I talk White.

Us Black people are not bad people but the media has made Black culture from the ghettos something to despise. Ever watch the Hip Hop music videos on Black Entertainment Television? What a sad situation. These people are terrible and they make all of us look bad.

Where the problems lie is the media shows all blacks that way and these Hip Hop artists make alot of money exploiting our people. So many Blacks follow and and imitate the Hip Hop Culture.

I think many of us believe the Black people were actually better when we were Negros in the 1950s before intergration.

Old 03-25-2007, 06:13 AM

989 posts, read 5,923,344 times
-It's an unfortunate reality that more African American males are in jail than enrolled in college.
-African Americans posess the highest poverty rate of any race(including Hispanic).
-Chris Rock says, he thinks that "Blacks think it's cool to be dumb."
-Rapper Kanye West is raps about how college degrees are a waste.. and 95% of the other rappers are talking about guns, killing people, hoes, and rims..

So who is a good Black role model these days?..

Old 03-25-2007, 06:23 AM

196 posts, read 1,236,914 times
Many people talk about Mexican invation, but in my personal experience never had a problem with a latino, never gone latino hoods as boyle heights or East Los, but I see many of them working daily in many areas of Los Angeles downtown, westside and many women as domestic personal, and never had a problem.

About blacks I work with few of them as equal, I know they are minority with high level education and not living in ghuettos.

But never seem blacks as a middle class here in Los Angeles, thats true, or where high educated people working as equals in many economic areas of Los Angeles or I saw them hangin around with their hip hop wearing and I really dont feel safe being by next door of that people, i rather prefer living next door with poor but working latinos thant with blacks from the ghettos, I was assaulted once in Wilshire and was black people and my car was stolen in a downtown parking and the suspect was also black, its my experience.

Old 03-25-2007, 06:40 AM

989 posts, read 5,923,344 times
I have had three issues with crime in LA. Two of the suspects were black. The other was Mexican.

Old 03-25-2007, 09:35 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,543,963 times
I like educated, well-spoken black people. I only have a problem with the ghetto ones who play their rap music at volume so high that even four cars away my car is shaking to the beat, the ones who call each other "n-----", the ones who deal drugs, the loud and obnoxious ones, the ones who argue and yell at 2:00 a.m. as if it's 2:00 p.m., etc. Unfortunately, these are the kind who move into my building. My son once accused me of being racist. I'm not racist; I would dislike anyone else who exhibited these behaviors - white, black, brown, it doesn't matter.

If someone is wearing certain clothing, walking a certain way, etc. then yes, I will assume things about them - probably that they are less educated, etc. That's just human nature; we judge people by appearances, closely followed by that person's behavior. I don't assume that all black people are ghetto, because they aren't. I just wish more good people would move into my building!

Old 03-25-2007, 10:07 AM

30,907 posts, read 32,981,735 times
I don't have a good answer for you, but I wanted you to know that not all white people feel this way. I'm white and the racism I see makes me sick, literally. I know, I know...like that really helps any.

I do agree that white people think it's "cool" to "talk" and act the stereotype of black, and it's so embarrassing I want to find a huge sheet to throw over them so nobody can laugh hysterically at how incredibly stupid they look. It just does NOT come off well. It is seriously embarrasing. It's more embarrassing to the whites doing it than to the blacks they think they're emulating. It's almost like how other countries think Americans all wear cowboy hats and hold a little American flag all the time.

I hear you and this just makes me sick. As for more blacks being in jail, it works both ways. I *personally* feel (I could be wrong--please don't everyone freak out on me) that more blacks are preyed on by law enforcement than whites in the first place. A black who is stopped for speeding is MUCH more likely to have his or her car searched for "drugs" than a white person. Yet I know a ton of whites who constantly smoke blunts--it's sooooooooooo cool to do...ahem, are you sh*tting me? But who's gonna stop my sister-in-law in her SOOOOOOOOOO cute widdle tiny white shiny car and search HER? More likely the cop would peek in the window, grin at her fake breasts and wave her on. In fact, it's happened...many times. Because she's sooooooooo cute...and so white. And so addicted to smokin' out. If she were ever searched...she'd be in jail. (I even hate to say this b/c I love SIL and think she's very bright and sweet but in this context...I think it bears saying.)

I've said my piece...

Old 03-25-2007, 10:17 AM

30,907 posts, read 32,981,735 times
Also, I live in a very very white neighborhood (travel in non-white neighborhoods though)--we rent from the in-laws and MIL would not have it any other way (she's the very definition of narrow)...and we too have that screaming boom-box-esque-in-the-car problem too. From white kids! It is NOT just "a black thing" as some people suppose. Seriously, my kids can't get to sleep most nights. We live right by a traffic light (we're on the corner) and the whole world stops there at the light with screaming booming bass blaring out their windows, and a lily-pink arm hanging out. And the sickeningly rich Mr. Anglo trying sooooooooo hard to scream out the lyrics with the right accent. Seriously embarrasing, you almost feel sorry for the kid.

I want to go out there and embarrass myself by screaming at them that there are children in the house, but then I'd seriously rat myself out as the old dork I am.

My Norwegian-heritage burn-crisp-skinned DH comes home and asks me what the 411 is and that he did great at work today b/c he got so-and-so's digits and when I complain about something he gives me "I fell ya, dawg"...I used to think it's cute...well, okay, it IS cute...but probably not as cute to blacks who see their sterotypes looking cute on whites but apparently lethal and cop-exposure-worthy on them.

Old 03-25-2007, 10:21 AM

9,525 posts, read 30,463,921 times
It is the result of a self-fulfilling, vicious cycle of exporting the ghetto culture to the mainstream - where successful blacks in the music and media industries peddle the ghetto stereotypes back into the ghetto for their own profit.

Gang and thug culture as pop culture is the scourge of our society and it's wealthy black men, backed by major retailers and corporations, who are putting this into the mainstream. They've fabricated a false lifestyle centered around clothes, music, cars, and crime.

Until those in a position to do so decide it's time to take some responsibility for their community and stop reinforcing and creating stereotypes, it's a non-ending cycle of poverty, crime, and hopelessness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles