U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 07:16 AM

15 posts, read 137,917 times

Advertisements

Hallo there.
Me and my girlfriend are traveling to Los Angeles and the nearby city's (San Fran, Las Vegas, San Diego and so on)
But we have a little problem. I am only 20 years old, had my driver license for about 2 years now (In Denmark you can first get it, when you are 18)
And as you can imagine we need to rent a car, I don't mind to pay "a lot" for it, because I will need the car for about 2 weeks, and I don't want to rent a bad or stinky car.
I would like to rent a okay shaped cabriolet. Perhaps a Ford Mustang, or something like that.
I found the firm https://www.atwest-rentacar.com/ which I saw rental cars for younger people like me, but after googling reviews about the company I don't think I will rent my car from them.
Is there any other firms who rental cars for 20 years people.?
Hope you all can help me, because if I cant rent a car, I need to cancelled your trip

Greetings
Patrick Bark.

--
Med venlig hilsen
Patrick Barkowski

Mail. barkowski@gmail.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2009, 11:15 AM

25 posts, read 153,737 times
In the states renting a car when you're under 21 is almost impossible -- and VERY expensive. That said, "Super Cheap Car Rental" does rent to 20 year olds with extra fees attached. The website is Cheap Car Rentals Los Angeles and Orange County, San Francisco, car hire under 25

The operation seems a bit sketchy, but I rented cars with them for 3 months this summer without incident.

Also, you might be able to convince a "Rent-a-Wreck" dealer to rent to you, but that's less likely. You can find the nearest agent at Rent-A-Wreck.com - Car Rental - Rent a used car and save! 30 years of providing great cars and great service!

Good luck!!

Old 03-20-2009, 12:08 PM

1,204 posts, read 3,910,797 times
Enterprise rents to under 21 but its pretty expensive I think.

Old 03-20-2009, 04:28 PM

125 posts, read 335,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnoxTown View Post
Enterprise rents to under 21 but its pretty expensive I think.

+1 unless you have some corporate plan with them they wont waive the underage fee.

Old 03-21-2009, 04:47 AM

1,070 posts, read 2,883,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr0zie View Post
Hallo there.
Me and my girlfriend are traveling to Los Angeles and the nearby city's (San Fran, Las Vegas, San Diego and so on)
But we have a little problem. I am only 20 years old, had my driver license for about 2 years now (In Denmark you can first get it, when you are 18)
And as you can imagine we need to rent a car, I don't mind to pay "a lot" for it, because I will need the car for about 2 weeks, and I don't want to rent a bad or stinky car.
I would like to rent a okay shaped cabriolet. Perhaps a Ford Mustang, or something like that.
I found the firm https://www.atwest-rentacar.com/ which I saw rental cars for younger people like me, but after googling reviews about the company I don't think I will rent my car from them.
Is there any other firms who rental cars for 20 years people.?
Hope you all can help me, because if I cant rent a car, I need to cancelled your trip

Greetings
Patrick Bark.

--
Med venlig hilsen
Patrick Barkowski

Mail. barkowski@gmail.com
Wait until you are 21 and a Mustang will cost around $500 per week or rent a limo now for $50 per hour!!

Old 03-21-2009, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by impala666 View Post
Wait until you are 21 and a Mustang will cost around $500 per week or rent a limo now for $50 per hour!!
I dont think I will wait, because I wanna go to the US this summer..

Old 03-21-2009, 08:20 AM

69,306 posts, read 79,490,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr0zie View Post
I dont think I will wait, because I wanna go to the US this summer..
ok, you don't want to wait, but what are you planning on doing without a car? Touring Ca and Nv isn't quite like vacationing in Denmark. The public transportation isn't all that great, trains etc are not the usual means of transportation and the sights and sounds are far from one another. .If you cant' rent a car or are going to have to pay $1,000 or more for one week how do you plan on seeing the sights. Wanting to visit and having it a pratical thing to do at this time are 2 different things..

I will add one more thing, you can not drink or gamble in the United States if you are under 21. I would just think waiting would be a better alternative, but it has to be your decision..
Nita

Old 03-21-2009, 08:38 AM

10,630 posts, read 22,757,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
ok, you don't want to wait, but what are you planning on doing without a car? Touring Ca and Nv isn't quite like vacationing in Denmark. The public transportation isn't all that great, trains etc are not the usual means of transportation and the sights and sounds are far from one another. .If you cant' rent a car or are going to have to pay $1,000 or more for one week how do you plan on seeing the sights. Wanting to visit and having it a pratical thing to do at this time are 2 different things..

I will add one more thing, you can not drink or gamble in the United States if you are under 21. I would just think waiting would be a better alternative, but it has to be your decision..
Nita
While I think the problem of not being a car is being overstated, especially if your main tourist goal is visiting the cities and not necessarily the small towns or out-of-the-way natural sites, I agree that you might want to reconsider doing all of these things without a car (or in the case of LV, going at all - sure, there's more than just drinking and gambling, but restrictions combined with the time it will take to get there might make it not worth the hassles). In general, though, if you're thinking of a San Francisco - LA - San Diego tour, I'd suggest flying into either SF or SD and then using the train (Amtrak) to make your way down the coast to the other cities. I haven't done the LA-SF train route (parts of it, but not the whole way) but the LA-SD train ride is really beautiful and goes right along the water for part of it. Inside the cities of LA, San Diego, and San Francisco (and some of the places along the way) you'll find plenty of things to do without a car.

Old 03-21-2009, 10:20 AM

69,306 posts, read 79,490,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
While I think the problem of not being a car is being overstated, especially if your main tourist goal is visiting the cities and not necessarily the small towns or out-of-the-way natural sites, I agree that you might want to reconsider doing all of these things without a car (or in the case of LV, going at all - sure, there's more than just drinking and gambling, but restrictions combined with the time it will take to get there might make it not worth the hassles). In general, though, if you're thinking of a San Francisco - LA - San Diego tour, I'd suggest flying into either SF or SD and then using the train (Amtrak) to make your way down the coast to the other cities. I haven't done the LA-SF train route (parts of it, but not the whole way) but the LA-SD train ride is really beautiful and goes right along the water for part of it. Inside the cities of LA, San Diego, and San Francisco (and some of the places along the way) you'll find plenty of things to do without a car.

I would agree, I have done both the L.A. to SF and L.A to San Diego, the L.A to San Diego is so fast and yes, really pretty. I was just thinking about the age and coming from Denmark where things are not so spread out. Yes, he can do the transportation thing, but even then, there is so much to see in S.Ca that would not be terribly convenience depending on public transportation. We have been in Europe a few times, people there are so accustom to walking or public transportation I think he will find the experience pretty frustrating..If he was visiting the east coast it would be different.. Not to mention he may find driving in Ca a challenge..
Again, just my thoughts on the matter.

Nita

Old 03-21-2009, 02:47 PM

I have found 3 places where I can rent a car.
I have talked to them, and they told me not to reserve a car, but just to come down to them when I arrive to LAX.
Then I can see the cars and pick the cabriolet i want to.
I will pay about 1300 for two weeks.

The last week I have just bought tickets from Los Angeles to Hawaii.
So I think the trip will be a succes I hope soo.

About the gamling and the drinking, it isnt a problem, because this time I am going with my girlfriend, next year I am visiting Las Vegas and Miami and Florida with some guys, and there we all need to be 21, to gambel and drink.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or