U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 04:55 PM

1,078 posts, read 2,772,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by impala666 View Post
Which LA is this??
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoman View Post
Seriously! $100 per month eating out is eating out twice at a casual dining restaurant. Nothing fancy.
Which is exactly what we do. We eat out 2-3 times a month at places that cost 30-50 for a couple. It's how we save money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2009, 06:20 PM

830 posts, read 2,505,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenMaster2008 View Post
Which is exactly what we do. We eat out 2-3 times a month at places that cost 30-50 for a couple. It's how we save money.

I do the same, I just think it would be good to clarify your statement for this guy since he's trying to get a feel for things from a great distance away.

Two meals at $50 each leaves 88 meals left to eat during the month. :-)

I will admit I have a hard time bringing my lunch to work. I justify eating out by saying I like to get out of the office. I always eat relatively cheaply, not liking to spend more than $10 on average. Well, that's $200 per month just for lunch. But breakfast and dinner are usually simple and cheap, so it probably evens out alright. We don't go out to eat very often, which sucks, because I like to try new places. I just don't like to spend that kind of money for a couple of plates of food.

Old 03-20-2009, 06:30 PM

1,078 posts, read 2,772,872 times
Quote:
I do the same, I just think it would be good to clarify your statement for this guy since he's trying to get a feel for things from a great distance away.

Two meals at $50 each leaves 88 meals left to eat during the month. :-)

I will admit I have a hard time bringing my lunch to work. I justify eating out by saying I like to get out of the office. I always eat relatively cheaply, not liking to spend more than $10 on average. Well, that's $200 per month just for lunch. But breakfast and dinner are usually simple and cheap, so it probably evens out alright. We don't go out to eat very often, which sucks, because I like to try new places. I just don't like to spend that kind of money for a couple of plates of food.
Yeah I guess I should have clarified.

I hate sitting at work and eating lunch but I used to spend a ton of money on lunch like you said, around 200. Then I realized that's almost the same as my car payment!

I love trying out new places to eat too. Maybe I should stop being so cheap

Old 03-20-2009, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenMaster2008 View Post
Yeah I guess I should have clarified.

I hate sitting at work and eating lunch but I used to spend a ton of money on lunch like you said, around 200. Then I realized that's almost the same as my car payment!

I love trying out new places to eat too. Maybe I should stop being so cheap

I don't think it's being cheap, just smart with your money. Yeah, sometimes it's probably good to treat yourself, but obviously you can't and shouldn't do it all the time. You know how quickly it adds up.

I remember back in Dallas after my divorce I was going out a lot. I wasn't thinking rationally at the time, just going out and living up my new single life. Then one day I realized I was spending $1,000-$1,500 per month getting drunk and eating out. I can't imagine what it would have cost me in LA. Probably double that. So I think now I've swung way to the other side and am trying to make up for all of my prior stupidity.

It just irks me that to have an average meal in LA, with a couple of drinks, is going to cost you $75 or more. That's insane. Like you said, you do that a few times and you're paying for a car.

Old 03-20-2009, 07:20 PM

5,903 posts, read 6,354,513 times
I don't care who you are, that there is damn funny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Let's say you spend $1000/month on rent. That is doable with a roommate or maybe renting a room.

With a $4000/month income, now that's $1333 for rent. Yes, there would be something left over.

For job searching try monster.com and careerbuilder.com .

Yes, you can find a job without a degree in Information Technology. For example, Kobe Bryant doesn't have that degree and he has a job.

Old 03-20-2009, 10:36 PM

2,516 posts, read 7,549,787 times
Quote:
Seriously! $100 per month eating out is eating out twice at a casual dining restaurant. Nothing fancy.
I spent $38 for dinner last night, eating and drinking from a Happy Hour menu. Did same tonight at another place, and spent $42. Will probably eat out again tomorrow, when there will be no HH, because of the weekend, so I expect to spend at least $50 for my main meal of the day. That's well over $100 just to keep myself fed for three days. If I go out with a companion, I will likely spend even more because of the lingering over cocktails factor.

Old 03-20-2009, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katenik View Post
I spent $38 for dinner last night, eating and drinking from a Happy Hour menu. Did same tonight at another place, and spent $42. Will probably eat out again tomorrow, when there will be no HH, because of the weekend, so I expect to spend at least $50 for my main meal of the day. That's well over $100 just to keep myself fed for three days. If I go out with a companion, I will likely spend even more because of the lingering over cocktails factor.

Thank you for giving an example. So many people either don't believe it or refuse to admit that going out is not something most people can afford to do very often, at least certainly not all the time. And you didn't even do anything special. Just drinks, a bite to eat.

I remember when I first moved out to LA and was dating a lot. A simple night out, dinner, drinks, maybe a little something else, was easily over $100.

I quit going out much with a good friend of mine because anytime he wanted to go out I'd spend $100 or more just eating and drinking.

Old 03-20-2009, 11:41 PM

2,516 posts, read 7,549,787 times
Quote:
Thank you for giving an example. So many people either don't believe it or refuse to admit that going out is not something most people can afford to do very often, at least certainly not all the time. And you didn't even do anything special. Just drinks, a bite to eat.

I remember when I first moved out to LA and was dating a lot. A simple night out, dinner, drinks, maybe a little something else, was easily over $100.

I quit going out much with a good friend of mine because anytime he wanted to go out I'd spend $100 or more just eating and drinking.
Oh, this is me on a budget. When I was in school and not a budget (ironically, I admit), dinner out alone was easily $75-100. And that was in another city, with a lower cost of living.

Old 03-21-2009, 01:55 AM

15,370 posts, read 25,579,836 times
One thing for the OP, LA will soon be the most heavily taxed city in the land, or at least close to it. Sales tax will be just under 10%. The state doesn't have the money it needs to pay the incomes of all those people it added to the governement payroll in the past decade. Instead of laying off staff they let us residents pay extra.

Old 03-21-2009, 02:15 AM
cel cel started this thread

20 posts, read 51,671 times
Hmm... is it so bad everywhere in California ? And would I even survive on 3000$ per month if I wouln't eat too fancily and rent would be about 1000$ per month ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles