Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2007, 10:54 PM

1 posts, read 3,263 times

Advertisements

I am trying to buy a house, the problem is, I got late nite call from a broker asking me to change lenders, i said no. The next day, the agent called me, she said, the seller will not accept my lender, who is countrywide,the broker wants to have friend write up a loan for me, is this some kinda trap or trick ?
please give me some feedback
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2007, 11:02 PM

60 posts, read 265,762 times
Lenders are getting quite a bit a attention from the media due to subprime lending practices. Country wide may have been one of the companies mentioned specificly. It would be foolish for a seller to single you out, especially with the market being as slow as it has been. It's easy enough to get another approval from another company, you might want to get another company.

Old 03-26-2007, 08:11 AM

10,408 posts, read 2,591,507 times
It sounds like your realtor is going to get kickbacks from the lender, why else would they steer you away from one of the largest lenders in S. California. That sounds kind of odd to me...

Old 03-27-2007, 10:50 AM

4,610 posts, read 11,080,841 times
I would double check everthing before signing anything. Be careful when signing a contract. Make sure you understand what you are signing. Take the contract home with you before signing and go over it yourselves. Sometimes but NOT always Realtors can be a little tricky (they are sales people) (but I have worked with some great ones), they are vital. I hope you have someone you can trust. And I hope you are not doing one of those subprime loans unless you really understand what they are. Subprime loans can work for some people but again NOT all. So just do your homework!

Last edited by Roma; 03-27-2007 at 11:15 AM..

Old 03-27-2007, 11:01 AM

106 posts, read 309,963 times
I would talk to a realtor about this before signing anything. I went through re/max and they were great.

Old 03-27-2007, 11:18 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,504,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalMomma View Post
It sounds like your realtor is going to get kickbacks from the lender, why else would they steer you away from one of the largest lenders in S. California. That sounds kind of odd to me...
Countrywide is about to go belly-up, so I can understand why the realtor would discourage people from borrowing from them.

Old 03-27-2007, 11:19 AM

252 posts, read 1,125,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hakeen View Post
I am trying to buy a house, the problem is, I got late nite call from a broker asking me to change lenders, i said no. The next day, the agent called me, she said, the seller will not accept my lender, who is countrywide,the broker wants to have friend write up a loan for me, is this some kinda trap or trick ?
Looks like everyone involved wants to get some extra spiffs.
As a buyer in this buyer's market, everyone should be kissing your feet. As a seller, I see agents/brokers dying for buyers.

Looks like the broker is trying to pressure you into changing your lender at the last minute to split kick-backs with a friendly lender. I'd decline like you have. If nothing has been signed, I would find a new broker. If the seller did not accept your offer, it most likely had nothing to do with the lender since it wouldn't matter how the seller gets his money as long as you have legit credit to get loans from more than that "friend".

Remember, there are many starving agents/brokers out there looking for buyers as yourself.

I would even report this to the agents association, there might be some "anti-steering" laws or provisions.

Old 03-27-2007, 11:52 AM

106 posts, read 309,963 times
I remember one time when I was looking to rent an apartment, I went through this realtor place called precision realty in New Jersey. The guy that was helping me asked me out the first time i went and when i declined, I did not get no help and i paid them 150.00. I kept calling the place but got no reply back or anything. I just let it go but wish I did something about it being he probably has done this before and will keep doing that.

Old 03-27-2007, 01:57 PM

16,226 posts, read 27,318,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hakeen View Post
Is the seller going to incur a prepayment penalty from their current lender, and therefore asking you to obtain your financing from the same lender? That is a legitimate request, although as far as I know there are fewer and fewer loans of this nature.

Sounds to me like something else (monkey business) is going on here, and you may want to report your "broker" for unethical or possibly illegal conduct.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles