U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 12:20 PM

8 posts, read 15,035 times
theres supposed to be a huge earthquake soon..we are overdue for it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2009, 09:27 AM

16,591 posts, read 18,441,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindy kreutzberg View Post
Is there a fault there?
If you tend to be a worrier, DO NOT look at a fault map of the San Fernando Valley. (which is the valley Sherman Oaks is in)

Old 05-20-2009, 09:39 AM

417 posts, read 372,847 times
Sure when the "big one" hits, it'll be devistating, but it's not like having 10 tornadoes hit your home town per year or the 3 hurricanes that rip through your city every year.

Old 01-18-2010, 07:59 AM

4,900 posts, read 4,499,626 times
The Big One is inevitable. Catastrophe is not. - latimes.com

Old 01-18-2010, 08:14 AM

26,365 posts, read 51,661,319 times
The most dangerous thing about earthquakes is driving to the store to buy earthquake preparation supplies. You might die in a car crash.

Old 01-18-2010, 11:24 AM

5,020 posts, read 9,578,915 times
Sherman Oaks seems to be vulnerable along the L.A. River. A lot of apartment buildings and homes sustained damage in the Northridge Earthquake. However, Magnolia Blvd. is far enough away for it not to be a factor for your daughter. At least I hope it is; I live close to Magnolia, too!

Moderator cut: orphaned - quote removed

Last edited by Yac; 10-22-2010 at 06:47 AM..

Old 01-18-2010, 11:39 AM

5,020 posts, read 9,578,915 times
The earthquake risk in L.A. is big, no getting around it. In fact, when I looked at the USGS fault maps for southern California, I wondered why we don't have more moderate earthquakes (5.0 - 6.0). And while everyone worries about "The Big One" on the San Andreas Fault, downtown L.A. is 55 miles away from it. There are many other faults that are almost underneath downtown. Some of these are capable of producing quakes up to 7.0; now that would be a disaster!

Also, in the San Fernando Valley, we have blind thrust faults. These are faults that never reach the surface, so no one knows they exist until they pop. The Northridge earthquake occurred on a blind thrust fault. (It's so comforting to know there could be one beneath my apartment building!)

I've been in two different kinds of earthquakes. I was in Joshua Tree for the Landers earthquake in 1992. That was a 7.3, but it was a big, wavy rolling motion because the earthquake occurred on a strike-slip fault, where the two plates are moving past each other. None of the plates or dishes even fell off the shelves in the kitchen.

I also felt the Northridge earthquake from 20 miles away in Glendale. That had me leaping out of bed heading to the doorway, because I lived on the second floor, and I could just see the wall falling away and my bed flying out of the opening (no that didn't happen; everything was fine except for some cosmetic cracks around the doorways and windows). But the Northridge earthquake occurred on a thrust fault, and had some very strong ground acceleration (i.e. shaking!). Not fun.

There are so many faults here that even if the San Andreas did produce a big earthquake, I wouldn't be rushing to move here if I lived out of state. The 140 years between earthquakes on the southern segment is an average, after all. And there are more faults to worry about than just that one.

I've lived here all of my life, and couldn't imagine moving - mostly because of the weather. So if I end up buried in a pile of rubble that used to be my apartment building, well, it's been nice knowing all of you!

Old 01-18-2010, 02:33 PM

188 posts, read 285,856 times
The northridge earthquake was the worst, two in one and it was pretty intense. Who knows, only time will tell if there is a "Big One" thats dormant. I doubt itll be a catastrophe but I'm pretty sure it'll be pretty strong to know a couple buildings over.

Old 01-18-2010, 02:46 PM

12,167 posts, read 9,507,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
And while everyone worries about "The Big One" on the San Andreas Fault, downtown L.A. is 55 miles away from it. There are many other faults that are almost underneath downtown. Some of these are capable of producing quakes up to 7.0; now that would be a disaster!
Yeah, there are faults everyone in Southern California. But being 55 miles from the San Andreas Fault does not matter, it is the soil in the LA basin that is the problem. A quake on the San Andreas fault will produce more damage in the LA basin than it will in areas closer to the fault with more rocky soil. Just look at the simulations:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCNC6ZRTAnY

Old 01-18-2010, 02:53 PM

7,386 posts, read 5,113,109 times
I lived right on the fault in Palmdale. Your odds of having a catastrophic quake in LA are just shy of 100% meaning it just hasn't happened again. You do see the word again, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles