U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-12-2009, 10:46 PM

64 posts, read 88,040 times

Advertisements

Not sure if the following places are chains or not, but in the LA area, I loved:
-Frankie and Johnnies NY pizza, in Marina Del Rey.
-Z Pizza on Santa Monica Blvd, in W. Hollywood.

....and What's this about cutting down Straw Hat in many of the posts?... I loved Straw Hats pizza. Used to go there during my Dinner break (worked nights) in Long Beach.

aaahhh the memories...
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2009, 03:56 AM

1,070 posts, read 2,123,990 times
Let's be honest Pizza is just not warm weather food.
Eating a freshly made pizza on Time Square on a cold November evening is just not the same as sitting somewhere just off Palisades Beach Rd in June eating Pizza with an extra topping of dust.
The food will be the same temperature as the air if you are lucky, the only excuse would be that it is loaded with chilli then you could be eating anything.
As you can detect I am not a great fan of Pizza, don't get me wrong I was, until a holiday in Italy in 1996 when a Pizza shed in “Vicolo Equense” changed my life for ever after that no Pizza was ever the the same. I searched high and low, my god how I searched but alas none was to be found.
This thread has given me hope and new places to look I thank you all very much!
Contradictions,anomaly yes I know sad isn't it but this is my coffee break, I'm supposed to be writing some serious stuff about Umberto Eco I just cant take it any more I'm off to bed.

Old 04-13-2009, 08:47 PM

76 posts, read 104,560 times
Big Momma's is my LA favorite. They're all over the area. They usually have a special for a 9.99 x large 2 topping. It's NY style, thin crust you have to hold with two hands. Great taste. They close early though. I haven't found any late night pizza delivery in LA, ever. It reminds me of Sacramento. If any of you know of a pizza joint in LA that delivers late night, let me know. I'll purposely stay near there my next time down.

Old 04-13-2009, 11:39 PM

47 posts, read 119,247 times
Casa Bianca in Eagle Rock, Zelo's in Arcadia, and Petrillo's in San Gabriel.

Old 04-14-2009, 02:31 AM

2,417 posts, read 3,130,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdahammer View Post
PBergen- I have read for years that the best pizza in the world comes from New Haven. In fact, one of my first jobs in So Cal was working in a pizza joint, and one of the cooks came from New Haven. Over the years, his endorsement was confirmed by many of my friends. When I was a kid, my parents, having arrived from Boston and settled in So Cal, took me to Original Pizza in Newport Beach. The place is still there and makes a great, thin, cheese pizza. The original owner is from Ukraine, and his son runs the place now.
I agree Original Pizza is solid, used to regularly grab slices after surfing or in between beers at Blackies..Some of the best NYC style Pizza in the OC.
2121 Balboa Blvd. Newport Beach..Ginas is also pretty great pizza..not quite authentic NY style..thicker crust, but very ex-Brooklyn owner--locations in Corona Del Mar/Laguna Beach..

Old 04-25-2009, 10:23 AM

37 posts, read 122,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoman View Post
It's funny you say that because when I went to NY last year I was totally unimpressed with the pizza.
WTF does NY have to do with the conversation, IM NOT FROM NY.

Old 04-25-2009, 06:03 PM

12,009 posts, read 13,510,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by impala666 View Post
Let's be honest Pizza is just not warm weather food.
Tell that to someone in Southern Italy or Sicily. Sicily has EXACTLY the same weather as L.A.

Old 07-28-2009, 07:04 PM

4,086 posts, read 5,098,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbergen View Post
as for the assertion that pizza in LA being better than in nyc:

sorry, but i strongly disagree. this isn't about ny elitism or LA bashing, b/c i happen to find that many foods in LA are better than in ny (mexican, salvadoran, japanese, korean, chinese, thai, armenian, persian, ethiopian, and burgers, just to name a few). but one cuisine that LA does not do well is italian. sure, there are some nice yuppie/gourmet places, but for traditional red sauce eateries, pizza parlors, bakeries selling cannoli or sfogliatelle, or italian ice stands, you really have to go to the northeastern cities/metropolitan areas (and to a lesser extent, chicago), since they have a high concentration of italian-americans.

while i do agree with your assessment that many new yorkers complain too much about LA's supposed deficiencies, the lack of good italian food is a legitimate gripe. if LA had pizza, pasta, cannoli, and italian ices that even remotely approached what you can get in the northeast, it would be the undisputed top eating city in the country IMO - and even without a strong italian culinary presence, it's already a strong contender for that title.

this isn't to suggest that most pizza places in ny are good, b/c that simply isn't true. tourists visiting nyc seem to think that they can walk into any old pizza parlor and get a good slice, then complain when it tastes like garbage. the truth is that the majority of the pizza in the greater nyc area is mediocre or worse. most places aren't even owned or operated by italians anymore (albanians own a lot of places, as do turks, greeks, mexicans, brazilians, russian jews, and so forth). even a lot of the italian-run places are horrible.

that said, the overall quality of pizza is still better than in almost any other city/region of the country. and the cream of the crop really are great. next time you're in nyc, try leaving manhattan if you want good pizza - the best places are in brooklyn (di fara, totonno's, lucali) and staten island (joe & pat's, denino's, nunzio's). or get a square (sicilian) slice at rosa's in queens or l&b spumoni gardens in brooklyn (l&b is especially known for their spumoni, though). or white pizza at louie & ernie's in the bronx.

new haven, ct also has some outstanding pizza. it's 75 miles northeast of ny, but if you're ever driving through that area, it's well worth a visit. sally's and pepe's are the two best places, with the latter known for its white clam pies (best with bacon).

as for boston, the pizza there isn't that great. boston is all about seafood, beer, and ice cream. philly doesn't have great pizza, either, despite having a ton of italians - the main italian-american culinary contribution to that city is hoagies (which includes cheesesteaks and roast pork sandwiches). still, the overall quality of the pizza in those cities is better than anywhere on the west coast.

You're right. My approach to having pizza in L.A. is to have fish tacos instead. It shouldn't be insulting to Los Angelino's to say this. The pizza we have here in NJ and in NY is really the best, for the most part (we have some crappy places, too - like Ray's - but they're rare). Most of our pizza and Italian food is awesome here. Little to nothing in L.A. even comes close.

Likewise, our Mexican food here SUCKS. Tacos here SUCK. Our best tacos and Mexican are the handful of Baja Fresh in the area. That's it. Everything else SUCKS. Sure we probably have one or two hidden places that are good, but finding them is like finding a needle in a haystack.

My approach to eating Mexican food in NJ or NY is to have pizza instead. If I'm desperate, I make it myself or go to Baja Fresh. That's it though.

I think it's true that various places have their strengths and weaknesses and it's definitely true that L.A.'s pizza and Italian food is a weakness for them, while Mexican food in NY/NJ is a weakness for us.

Old 07-28-2009, 11:36 PM

12,009 posts, read 13,510,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laviachi View Post
Casa Bianca in Eagle Rock
Which has become far more known outside of the immediate neighborhood because of it being a favorite of Obama's.

BTW, Vito's Pizza, once an East Hollywood landmark and long known for some of LA's best pizza, has reopened in Beverly Hills from what I've heard

Old 07-29-2009, 01:08 AM

47 posts, read 127,730 times
My two cents:

For a thick brust pizza, you can't go wrong with Carmine's. They've got one in Pasadena and Arcadia.

As for thin crust, greasy, I like Village Pizza in Larchmont.
for thin crust, medium, I like Pitfire Pizza downtown
for thin crust, crispy, I really really like Osteria La Buca on Melrose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles