Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 03:03 PM

14 posts, read 51,634 times

Advertisements

In October 2008 I moved into a house my ex-roommates mother rented to me. I gave her $500 for a deposit. I did not agree to how long I was staying on the property. Or sign a lease or an agreement. In late February I told my room mate that I was moving out in April. I moved out March 15 and now her mom is telling me that I owe her rent April 1st. Do I owe anything?

Last edited by pookal0ve; 03-28-2009 at 03:08 PM.. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2009, 03:09 PM

75 posts, read 206,575 times
I'm not an expert by any means but if you moved out in March you shouldn't owe her anything unless you haven't paid her for one of the months you were living there. If you have no written or verbal agreement she can't really do anything about it...I don't think.

Old 03-28-2009, 03:18 PM

1,955 posts, read 10,959,704 times
For everyone's sake, can't you just sit down at a table and talk it out on what's fair? Yes, you only lived there until March 15, so you shouldn't have to pay for April. Likewise, since you said you'd be moving out April, then at the minimum, I'd expect you to understand that all of March would have been your responsibility.

Just don't be rude about it ... you don't want to burn the bridge down, y'know. Since there's no paperwork, it will all be he-said she-said, however. Just approach it like humans ... I'm sure it can be settled in a manner that works for both you and her mom.

Old 03-28-2009, 03:23 PM

1,319 posts, read 4,231,139 times
If you didn't give her 30 day WRITTEN NOTICE then you owe her. She'll have to take you to small claims court to get a judgement.

Old 03-28-2009, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyPhoenix View Post
If you didn't give her 30 day WRITTEN NOTICE then you owe her. She'll have to take you to small claims court to get a judgement.

I did not agree to anything about how long I was staying there or sign anything. I paid for the month of March and left early.

Old 03-28-2009, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narfcake View Post
For everyone's sake, can't you just sit down at a table and talk it out on what's fair? Yes, you only lived there until March 15, so you shouldn't have to pay for April. Likewise, since you said you'd be moving out April, then at the minimum, I'd expect you to understand that all of March would have been your responsibility.

Just don't be rude about it ... you don't want to burn the bridge down, y'know. Since there's no paperwork, it will all be he-said she-said, however. Just approach it like humans ... I'm sure it can be settled in a manner that works for both you and her mom.
I tried settling it and she said that I should of told her instead of my ex room mate... she said my ex room mate told her that she didnt know if i was moving. then she said that with or without me agreeing to the length of stay i automatically was obligated to staying there for a year? is that correct?

Old 03-28-2009, 03:29 PM

1,319 posts, read 4,231,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pookal0ve View Post
I did not agree to anything about how long I was staying there or sign anything. I paid for the month of March and left early.
Then you were on a month to month rental. You still need to give 30 days written notice.
In calif, with or without a lease you must give 30 days written notice. With a lease there would be some added benefits for the landlord; without a lease you are better off regarding giving notice.

Old 03-28-2009, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyPhoenix View Post
Then you were on a month to month rental. You still need to give 30 days written notice.
In calif, with or without a lease you must give 30 days written notice. With a lease there would be some added benefits for the landlord; without a lease you are better off regarding giving notice.

I talked to my friend who does mortgage and real estate. She said that since I did not agree to anything or sign anything I am not obligated to any payments

Old 03-28-2009, 03:39 PM

75 posts, read 206,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pookal0ve View Post
I tried settling it and she said that I should of told her instead of my ex room mate... she said my ex room mate told her that she didnt know if i was moving. then she said that with or without me agreeing to the length of stay i automatically was obligated to staying there for a year? is that correct?
You definitely should have spoken to the mom first. However, there's no way you're obligated to stay a year unless you've signed something stating otherwise. At most you would be month-to-month.

Old 03-28-2009, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nori_garsi View Post
You definitely should have spoken to the mom first. However, there's no way you're obligated to stay a year unless you've signed something stating otherwise. At most you would be month-to-month.

Speaking to the daughter wouldn't there be a communication telling her mom. Hey my roommate just notified me shes moving out April 1st. She told me end of February.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles