Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 06:59 PM

4 posts, read 11,716 times

Advertisements

so here's my plan..
when i graduate from high school next year, I live in Pittsburgh, PA now, im gonna move to LA for a year and then apply to UCLA.
im not worried about the possibility of rejection yet BUt could somebody please tell me what living in pico union is like?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2009, 07:05 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,661,015 times
crowded, loud, more dangerous than other parts of the city, lower on the economic scale, not very diverse.

i guess it all depends on where exactly you live and what you are accustomed to, but that would never be my first choice.

i dont think its anyones first choice. its seems people end up in PU because of family ties or financial reason.

think about it a lil more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francescag View Post
so here's my plan..
when i graduate from high school next year, I live in Pittsburgh, PA now, im gonna move to LA for a year and then apply to UCLA.
im not worried about the possibility of rejection yet BUt could somebody please tell me what living in pico union is like?

Old 03-31-2009, 07:10 PM

from what ive seen online i think i would like the area (it seems laid back and fun and lots of latinos), but im worried about rent. it's the first time ill be living on my own n the closest person i know is in santa barbara
i've never been to LA before but i've heard the rent is really really high.

Old 03-31-2009, 07:13 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,661,015 times
from what youve seen? as in first hand? visit the area first. then you might be able to make a better assessment.

if you want fun, and lots of latinos. go a lil more east. boyle heights. or north. echo park/ silver lake. except Echo and ES are a bit more $. BH not so much.

honestly i think you would be safer in BH or even lincoln heights.

what about HIGHLAND PARK> thats got lots to do. laid back as well. full of latinos, and others.

Quote:
from what ive seen online i think i would like the area (it seems laid back and fun and lots of latinos), but im worried about rent. it's the first time ill be living on my own n the closest person i know is in santa barbara

Old 03-31-2009, 07:13 PM

1,084 posts, read 3,286,861 times
Quote:
What do you think an average studio or 1 bedroom costs here? Just want to make sure you aren't coming in too unprepared.

Old 03-31-2009, 07:15 PM

1,203 posts, read 4,417,835 times
Pico-Union is laid back?

Old 03-31-2009, 07:35 PM

i dont know how to quote messages so bear with me...

the one, i'm visiting in november this year. the only ideas i have about pico union are from the internet soo i have no idea what to think. yea i was thinking about lincoln heights and highland park

zenmaster, i have no idea how much a studio would be. i just heard between $800-$1200 for an apartment. whatever i looked up on like apartments.com etc that's what i also found. but i consider $800 to be a lot of money for rent

we're paying like $200 now, and i have a job but i dont pay any rent soo yeah. anything about $400 is gonna be hard for me. im not gonna have a very high paying job wen i move there

knoxtown, idk if it's laid back all i've seen is youtube and random google searches and that's the feeling i got

Old 03-31-2009, 07:48 PM

1,203 posts, read 4,417,835 times
If you can't afford 800 a month for rent and utilities, you should probably not move here.

Old 03-31-2009, 07:57 PM

75 posts, read 207,165 times
Wow! I paid almost 600 to share a 2b apt. with three other people, and that didn't include utilities. My first apt. in LA rented for 1800 (2b/2ba) and I paid about half. I don't think 400 is going to get you very far...600 might get you a studio in a less than great neighborhood. If I were you, I would get a job and start saving some money or try and find a higher paying job here before you even think about moving out here.

Old 03-31-2009, 08:22 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,829,054 times
There's some good advice here. I'd also recommend saving some money (OK, a LOT of money ) before trying to move here. And make sure you visit at least once before making the decision to move. Spend a week or so exploring the city and checking out the different neighborhoods for yourself. Why the delay in applying to UCLA? Is that so you'll be able to claim California residency? I ask because student housing would probably be a good option, especially in terms of safety and affordability, but that's only an option once you're actually enrolled.

Best of luck to you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles