Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2009, 11:04 AM

34 posts, read 110,686 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone!

I am interviewing with the owner of a recording studio tomorrow, and am very nervous. Eventually, I will be attending CSUN for their music industry studies program, and maybe even SAE or LA recording school to get my feet wet as an engineer, but at this point in time I have absolutely NO EXPERIENCE in recording, and am just learning to play piano. So...I would like to get any tips on what I should do. I feel like I am going to walk into that studio and look like an idiot because I am not familiar with equipment, programs, or even how to play an instrument. Any comments, suggestions, or advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2009, 11:13 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost_Lady View Post
Hey everyone!

I am interviewing with the owner of a recording studio tomorrow

I am not familiar with equipment, programs, or even how to play an instrument. Any comments, suggestions, or advice?
What position are you being interviewed for? You may not need to know what a decibel is.

Old 04-02-2009, 02:29 PM

3,004 posts, read 6,274,779 times
I'd be very nervous about an interview if I knew nothing about a subject too!

A couple of links:

Recording Music (http://www.informatik.uni-bremen.de/~dace/guitar/recording/index.html - broken link)

Home: Sound On Sound music recording technology magazine

TweakHeadz Lab Electronic Musician's Hangout

I've learned so much with just those links.

Honestly though, why would you want to become an audio engineer? Especially without knowing standard terms or lingo. Have you always wanted to be one?

I could see in the past you would have to drive to the library, but all you have to do now is turn on your computer. There is so much info out there.

Seriously, read tweakheadz's guide over and over. You'll get the basics and then some.

Old 04-03-2009, 02:53 AM

1,069 posts, read 3,272,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost_Lady View Post
Hey everyone!

I am interviewing with the owner of a recording studio tomorrow, and am very nervous. Eventually, I will be attending CSUN for their music industry studies program, and maybe even SAE or LA recording school to get my feet wet as an engineer, but at this point in time I have absolutely NO EXPERIENCE in recording, and am just learning to play piano. So...I would like to get any tips on what I should do. I feel like I am going to walk into that studio and look like an idiot because I am not familiar with equipment, programs, or even how to play an instrument. Any comments, suggestions, or advice?
Just say...Hey man you must be the producer...produce me a bottle of wine!
Works every time and remember the headphones are to keep the sound in not out.

Old 04-03-2009, 09:24 AM

34 posts, read 110,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harhar View Post
I'd be very nervous about an interview if I knew nothing about a subject too!

A couple of links:

Recording Music (http://www.informatik.uni-bremen.de/%7Edace/guitar/recording/index.html - broken link)

Home: Sound On Sound music recording technology magazine

TweakHeadz Lab Electronic Musician's Hangout

I've learned so much with just those links.

Honestly though, why would you want to become an audio engineer? Especially without knowing standard terms or lingo. Have you always wanted to be one?

I could see in the past you would have to drive to the library, but all you have to do now is turn on your computer. There is so much info out there.

Seriously, read tweakheadz's guide over and over. You'll get the basics and then some.
Thanks for the links! Very helpful!

Old 04-03-2009, 09:32 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,958,318 times
Being an "intern" means you are currently in school studying in the field you wish to pursue. How could you be an intern and not know anything about the industry AND not currently be enrolled in school?

Sounds to me like the studio owner is doing something that is illegal in the eyes of the EEOC and OFCCP in interviewing you for an "internship" position. Its like he's looking for free labor (i.e., slave labor). What affiliation/relationship does the owner have with CSUN?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles