U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-02-2009, 06:10 PM

129 posts, read 318,217 times

Advertisements

San Fran vs. L.A Hello, Iím a 22 year old college student and will be taking a couple courses this summer at either UCLA or University San Francisco. This will be my first time in California, so I donít know a ton about either city. Basically the reason Iím going is for the experience the city will give me. Any suggestions on which one I should pick? Iím not going to have a car so I would imagine getting around in L.A may be a lot harder. Is there a lot to do around the UCLA area that would be accessible via walking or a short cab ride? I donít really know what city to pick. At first I was favoring San FranciscoÖ but is there honestly a lot of exciting stuff to do there for someone my age? Any suggestions are appreciated : )
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2009, 06:23 PM

75 posts, read 133,212 times
I grew up in the SF Bay Area but I went to school down here.

If you don't have a car, the public transportation system in SF will work out a lot better for you. If you go to UCLA there are nice bars, restaurants, and shops near campus in Westwood. You would need to live close to campus. Getting around greater LA might be a problem but if you found a friend with a car that would help.

There is a lot to do in the Bay Area. SF has great sites, great restaurants and bars, and is a lot of fun. Whenever I visit we always go to the city. Plus you can hop on bart and head to the other side of the bay area as well. Los Angeles has a lot of awesome things to do but it's harder to get around without a car unless, like I've said, you stay close to campus or find a friend with a car.

Also a determining factor would be what kind of "scene" you are looking for...what do you like to do, what do you consider fun? Both places are great, but very different.

I can give you more specifics if you need them.

Old 04-02-2009, 06:32 PM

2,318 posts, read 4,946,651 times
I guess it really depends on what you are wanting to experience. UCLA is well connected with Santa Monica via the Big Blue Bus system, but large swaths of the city will be tough to access without a car. If you are looking for an ultra-urban, transit friendly, so-so weather experience, go with SF. If you are looking for a less traditionally urban, not quite so transit friend, excellent weather/beach lounging experience, go with LA. Both cities will offer a lot in the way of culture and fun.

Old 04-02-2009, 07:28 PM

10,080 posts, read 14,679,711 times
I agree that it depends on what experience you want an "ultra urban" experience you should consider going with LA. It's a bigger, busier city, and if you will be able to experience much of it without a car (not all, but you wouldn't have time to do everything in a summer, anyway). I don't know where you're coming from, but LA offers a completely different urban experience than any other city I've lived in - including SF.

Also, LA will probably be much more affordable than SF. I've lived in both, and our cost of living in SF is much higher.

Like the others have said, both cities offer plenty of culture and fun.

Old 04-02-2009, 07:43 PM

1,157 posts, read 2,227,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
LA offers a completely different urban experience than any other city I've lived in - including SF.
I think this key to understanding and appreciating LA. Living in LA is definitely an urban experience - all the talk about this place just being one big suburb or whatever is a load of crap - take a walk down Melrose Avenue and tell me that's not urban. Like you said, it's just a different type of urbanity, which is why so many have a hard time learning to appreciate it.

Old 04-02-2009, 07:54 PM

5,405 posts, read 7,893,351 times
go SF!!!! lots to do!. any scene that you can possibly be into exists. and transportation is easier.

im from LA, but i would suggest SF. its a lot more pleasing on the eyes and the summers are fantastic.

DO SF!!!!

Old 04-12-2009, 10:49 PM

8 posts, read 37,292 times
Los Angeles is honestly kinda depressing. Santa Monica and Venice Beach are wonderful little cities but the rest of LA seems drab and dingy. Quite an eyesore too.
even Hollywood Blvd is boring after awhile- just all these people trying to make money off you.
SF is dirty and smells like pee. It can be depressing too, especially at night, and with all its bums... I'd go with SF

Old 04-13-2009, 11:28 AM

203 posts, read 431,372 times
SF for the big city feel/transport/culture/huge buildings everywhere

L.A if your more relaxed and want to do things on your own(dont want people walking all up on you/huge crowds in streets) since L.A is much more spread out

The weather is a tossup. There is a difference of about 20+ degrees between the actual CITY of SF and say San mateo which is a short 15-20 minute ride on the freeway ,...also there is san Jose which sort of feels like SoCal with many palm tree lined boulevards..heavy hispanic population...and much warmer weather than the actual SF city limits

either way both cities are great
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles