U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 12:07 PM

600 posts, read 745,077 times
there is no such thing as "cheap and safe" here in LA County. Those two words do not go hand in hand here
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2011, 02:07 PM

2,516 posts, read 2,385,234 times
There is "affordable" and "mostly safe" like Palms.

Old 04-15-2011, 10:53 AM

16 posts, read 16,636 times
Check out the West Torrance area near Redondo Beach. Myself and 2 roommates have a simple but nice/clean 3br in a small apartment complex about a mile from the beach in a safe area. We pay 1700/mo total.

Old 04-15-2011, 11:43 AM

1,688 posts, read 3,950,379 times
Wow, I sure hope the OP hasn't been living on the street since he posted . . . 4 YEARS AGO!

Old 04-15-2011, 12:11 PM

9,941 posts, read 13,553,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn110978 View Post
HI I was looking for the same answers, I am wondering where you ended up find. My family is planning on moving out to the LA area next summer and we have 3 kids, therfore looking for cheap and safe!! Thanks for any help you can give!
Where will you be working? That is the number one thing to consider before anything else, along with how long of a commute you are willing to accept. Definition of "cheap" would help, too, along with minimum housing requirements (2 BR? 3?)

Old 06-02-2011, 11:39 PM

2 posts, read 8,469 times
Me and a buddy are looking to move to LA or its surrounding area this October as a time frame...we need a 2 bedroom place, anything at or below 1400 a month, and absolutely in a safer area...we are not set with jobs yet but are trying to figure out the good places to live as job offers appear...if there is any place besides what is listed above, as extra reference, that could be listed here that would be great...thanks!

--Dan

Old 06-03-2011, 05:59 PM

63 posts, read 99,141 times
Dan:
I highly recommend checking Craigslist daily. The best deals on apartments I've ever found in the LA area have come from Craigslist or just driving around the neighborhood I'm looking to live. I've seen basic 2-bedrooms in Brentwood for as low as $1300, although that was for a small place with no amenities. Still, Brentwood is a great walking neighborhood, close to lots of trendy and fun stuff, and super safe. You should also be able to find something in the San Fernando Valley at that price. Van Nuys is pretty cheap, but there are some bad and ugly areas of Van Nuys. Would you rather live in a nicer apartment in a less desirable neighborhood, or a shabbier apartment in a more desirable area?

Old 06-03-2011, 07:14 PM

26,365 posts, read 51,646,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greerman123 View Post
Me and a buddy are looking to move to LA

we are not set with jobs yet
Maybe you could become an English teacher.

Old 06-03-2011, 09:01 PM

2 posts, read 8,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meowkellycat View Post
Dan:
I highly recommend checking Craigslist daily. The best deals on apartments I've ever found in the LA area have come from Craigslist or just driving around the neighborhood I'm looking to live. I've seen basic 2-bedrooms in Brentwood for as low as $1300, although that was for a small place with no amenities. Still, Brentwood is a great walking neighborhood, close to lots of trendy and fun stuff, and super safe. You should also be able to find something in the San Fernando Valley at that price. Van Nuys is pretty cheap, but there are some bad and ugly areas of Van Nuys. Would you rather live in a nicer apartment in a less desirable neighborhood, or a shabbier apartment in a more desirable area?
Thanks for the post back! We would rather suffer with the quality of the place to get in a nicer neighborhood. Our price limit is pretty solid for the first year but after that it most likely will be able to rise. Just for this year, we are kind of limited since the costs of moving across the country. Any other areas by chance? I am compiling a list to scour craigslist with.

Charles, I'll make sure to look into that when I get to LA...I hear teaching jobs pay extremely well...

Old 10-09-2011, 07:41 PM

1 posts, read 3,850 times
I am also thinking of moving to L.A, from New Zealand where rent is at the most affordable price of $120p/w before rates. I am moving over with my baby and my partner to come live the american lifestyle but not sure how america rolls though but we have applied for green cards and just looking to pursue a dance career, my partner wants to pursue a make up artistry career so we are looking around at whats out there is Cali. Can anyone help me on where to find affordable living, where its close to dance studios, and dance opportunities but still able to live, work and play for a family etc?

Last edited by NZDancer278; 10-09-2011 at 07:43 PM.. Reason: missed some aspect of why we want to move to L.A
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles