Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 07:57 AM

7,034 posts, read 14,474,847 times

Advertisements

Rosemead, San Gabriel, Alhambra, Monterrey Park

Reasonably cheap + reasonably safe areas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2014, 03:42 PM

1 posts, read 1,416 times
Default How is Rosemead to live in?

I currently live in the Washington, DC area (in Maryland) so am very used to very high cost of living. I have lived in inexpensive places (Alexandria, LA; Dayton, OH, etc.) but you end up slowly dying with nothing to do; nothing of interest; boring, boring, boring, boring....

I love the DC area for the ballroom dancing; and LA also has a great ballroom dancing base (I know as I have visited there in the past)....most of the best places for quality international dancing are the high cost of living like New York City.... The other thing I have to do is chase chronic pain doctors and I know of one who will treat me is in LA who I like his philosophies of treatment (extremely hard to find).....

I have no family or friends to connect me any specific place.....for me, dancing and doctor is my priority. Everyone has to look at their life to determine why they choose to live why they live where they do. I am an Air Force brat; and then married a guy in the Air Force and then a guy in the civil service so I have lived all over the US and even in Japan and England..... So to some, staying in the same area most or all of their lives is paramount to them....not so to me....

Old 07-02-2014, 11:18 PM

317 posts, read 403,493 times
I've been using this site as a guide to moving to LA.

Updated: 10 Safe and Affordable Places to Live in LA | I'mMovingtoLA.com

Most if not all of these neighborhoods posted are in the valley though.

Old 07-06-2014, 06:11 PM
7th

20 posts, read 35,396 times
LOL at the suggestion of the Foothill cities and SGV. It's just too far from everything else and I wouldn't recommend having to commute from there to elsewhere unless you're based in the region itself, Pasadena or border areas of San Bernardino Co. Something's very lovely with this region though. I love the quaintness of places like Claremont and San Dimas. New-ish houses in places like Covina are nice and cheaper than elsewhere and the area is also close to challenging hiking trails. I believe that the completion of the Gold Line to Claremont/Pomona even up to Ontario will definitely give this area a boost (will this one connect to the CC-SaMo or LB line?) much more than the development of the El Monte Bus Station.

Some of the original suggestions do not fit anymore now. Rent for Culver City and Palms have gone up really high that even $1500 might not leave you with a desirable pad. I think that the only centrally-located areas that are still affordable and relatively safe are Mid-City, Hollywood, Koreatown/Wilshire Center, and if you're willing to share a room, you're gonna have more options.

Old 07-06-2014, 07:07 PM

1,714 posts, read 3,850,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7th View Post
LOL at the suggestion of the Foothill cities and SGV. It's just too far from everything else and I wouldn't recommend having to commute from there to elsewhere unless you're based in the region itself, Pasadena or border areas of San Bernardino Co. Something's very lovely with this region though. I love the quaintness of places like Claremont and San Dimas. New-ish houses in places like Covina are nice and cheaper than elsewhere and the area is also close to challenging hiking trails. I believe that the completion of the Gold Line to Claremont/Pomona even up to Ontario will definitely give this area a boost (will this one connect to the CC-SaMo or LB line?) much more than the development of the El Monte Bus Station.
The Gold Line is being built to the border of Azusa and Glendora right now and will be operational in a couple years, around the same time as the Expo Line to Santa Monica. Then the Foothill Gold Line will be connected to the Long Beach Blue Line via the Regional Connector around 2019... way before any kind of extension to Claremont or Ontario Airport (if extending beyond Azusa will even happen).

The Foothill region itself is very safe and quiet, even the most unsafe parts with gangs are still very safe compared to other areas of the county.

But it's far from Westside, Long Beach, and South Bay--though if you have no business on that coastal side of the county, then there is no need to pay significantly more to live near it anyway.

Old 07-06-2014, 08:20 PM
7th

20 posts, read 35,396 times
Yeah, it isn't as central as other suggestions but I still think as a public transport user, the limited options makes it feel farther than others.

Other than that I love the general tranquility of the area. With areas like Pasadena, Arcadia, Claremont, etc you feel like you don't need to venture too far out to enjoy living and it has pluses over the more expensive options in SFV and areas like the Westside and OC.

So it is the Blue line connecting the northern portion of Gold Line. That is amazing and I didn't know that the Ontario phase isn't final yet. I hope it pushes through, just to imagine how easy it would be to take light rail from San Bernardino to almost Seal Beach OC is incredible and It is going to make LA more well integrated for sure.

I am very excited for the rail projects obviously and can't wait for all of them to be completed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles