U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-06-2009, 11:28 PM

9,952 posts, read 13,620,439 times
Out of curiousity, where do you live now? I've been vegetarian for 15 years, and never had a problem anywhere we've lived. In any case, as the others have said, there will be absolutely no problem in LA. (and for the In-and-Out Burger thing, look at their "secret menu" online - they list their grilled cheese option there.)
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2009, 02:35 AM

425 posts, read 623,858 times
I agree with others that have said you can be a vegetarian anywhere. I have been vegetarian for several years and the only problem I had was when I lived in Calgary, Alberta...and even there I had a few options. L.A has tons of veg places. Some of my favorites: California Vegan(Hollywood), Vegan House 2 (Hollywood), Green Leaves Vegan (Los Feliz),Planet Raw(Santa Monica). There are many many more but these are the ones that stick out. There is a good list of veg and veg friendly restaurants in the L.A area here:
Vegetarians in Paradise/Los Angeles Vegetarian/Vegan Restaurants

Old 07-21-2009, 12:18 AM

56 posts, read 83,476 times
There is a farmer's market just about every day of the week in each of the nearby towns next to us. You mentioned eating out: there are take-out options, i.e. tamales, baked goods, for example, that might options for you. The Thai, Indian, Vietnamese, Chinese, Japanese, and Tibetan restaurants all have vegetarian options that you don't have to hunt for . Also, I wouldn't hesitate to ask if a place could make a dish meatless. So many people inquire these days that it's not a big deal.

Old 07-21-2009, 08:57 AM

9,836 posts, read 12,463,630 times
I guess you either are or you are not. That is a lifestyle choice as far as I am concerned. Don't think that it depends on geography. I am sure you will find a Vegetarian in the midwest if you looked.

Old 07-21-2009, 10:09 AM

47,421 posts, read 37,473,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
I guess you either are or you are not. That is a lifestyle choice as far as I am concerned. Don't think that it depends on geography. I am sure you will find a Vegetarian in the midwest if you looked.
you sure will, lots of them and in AR, OK, TX, everywhere. Of course some places have more than others.

Nita

Old 07-21-2009, 02:05 PM

67 posts, read 233,553 times
You can get a garden salad in most places in America.I can't think of any restaurant that sells ONLY meat...All vegetarians that I know don't have trouble finding food anywhere in this country.Sure,some places are better than others but if you are a REAL vegetarian you dont go on and off because of location.

You can always find a taco bell...bean burritos,taco salad minus the meat,7 layer burrito.
Mcdonalds....Salads,fruit and yogurt,fries,eggs,hash brown,pancakes.
Burger king..veggie burger,salads,hershey pie.....

But L.A. has many nicer places where you can get a good meal......

Last edited by cuteazz1; 07-21-2009 at 02:08 PM.. Reason: 2 add

Old 07-21-2009, 11:16 PM

18 posts, read 26,487 times
LA also has lots of Vegan restaurants... Real Foods Daily is AWESOME and it's a great place for star spotting!

Old 07-22-2009, 02:10 PM

11,738 posts, read 12,356,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
you sure will, lots of them and in AR, OK, TX, everywhere. Of course some places have more than others.

Nita
The Midwest tends to be the part of the US most hostile to vegetarianism. All sorts of hateful stereotypes about California not to mention homophobic stereotypes come into the picture. The common attitude in the Midwest is that only "California sissies" are vegetarians, with all the homophobia that implies. And it's not necessarily a "conservative" thing ; most of those people are probably Dems.

For some reason the South is less hostile to vegetarianism than the Midwest despite what one might expect.

Old 07-22-2009, 02:50 PM

11,151 posts, read 8,956,975 times
Just a reminder that the OP's question is just whether it's possible to be vegetarian in Los Angeles. For dicussions on vegetarianism in general, I'd encourage everyone to take a look at C-D's Vegetarian forum.

Old 07-22-2009, 03:41 PM

47,421 posts, read 37,473,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
The Midwest tends to be the part of the US most hostile to vegetarianism. All sorts of hateful stereotypes about California not to mention homophobic stereotypes come into the picture. The common attitude in the Midwest is that only "California sissies" are vegetarians, with all the homophobia that implies. And it's not necessarily a "conservative" thing ; most of those people are probably Dems.

For some reason the South is less hostile to vegetarianism than the Midwest despite what one might expect.
could be, but there are still plenty around.

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles