U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-07-2009, 01:11 PM

539 posts, read 1,072,620 times

Advertisements

Hi-

I've been doing some family research and found that my great-uncle used to live in a housing project for veterans called Basilone Homes. It was by Hansen Dam in Pacoima. It is gone now.

They say that after the WW2 there was a shortage of housing, and that a lot of returning veterans stayed at Basilone for a few years.

There's not much on it on the net, but, here's a picture I came across. You can see the dam in the background.

from
UCLA Library | Digital Collections

I'll have to get to the library to check it out sometime, but, I think the idea of a housing project for returning war veterans is interesting. I wonder what it was like.

One of the few stories online about it is about a guy's UFO sighting there.

UFOexperiences: MORE FROM ANONYMOUS, ONLY THIS TIME IT IS ABOUT HIMSELF
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2009, 01:23 PM

2 posts, read 5,760 times
Default Basilone Homes

Hello Mike121

I got mad at my sister yesterday in the car. She had no idea about Basilone Homes. She through it was a great place for returning WW2 vets. She was born there. I e-mailed her your picture of Basilone Homes. Your picture sure reached back for me. I still remember that place. If you are still around (same e-mail) and want some info on what it was like, I would be glad to write a short history of Basilone Homes. I grew up there from 1948 (age 5) until 1954.

Thx
Ron

Old 12-16-2009, 12:04 PM

3 posts, read 6,802 times
My family moved to Basilone Homes after losing our house at 413 Seville St. in L.A. because of the construction of the Hollywood Freeway. That house and in fact, the whole street are long gone (anyone remember Seville St.?).

We lived at Basilone until around 1950 and moved when I was 12. My memories of the place clash with the picture in this post (looks grim) because I remember it as a place with lots of green grass and plenty of room for a young boy to roam.

There is a golf course at that site now and not much is left except for a few foundation blocks I found down by the channel below the dam when I visited the site about 2 years ago. Does anyone know when Basilone closed and when it was demolished?

Old 03-16-2010, 03:57 PM

1 posts, read 4,527 times
When I was very young, my family lived in Basilone Homes. We later moved over to Bradley Avenue (10164) and when I was in kindergarten and my sister was in 5th grade, we attended Basilone Homes Elementary School. In 1954 I was in 1st grade at Hubbard Street School in Sylmar, though we still lived on Bradley, so I suppose that was the year BHES closed. The school auditorium was still being used (as of a few years ago) by the golf course as a maintenance building. Is anyone interested in working together to get the site renamed for John Basilone, the WW II Marine hero? Now that he is one of the main characters in the HBO series "The Pacific" it might be easier to get the powers-that-be moving on this.

Old 05-05-2010, 12:43 AM

1 posts, read 4,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Rodriguez View Post
When I was very young, my family lived in Basilone Homes. We later moved over to Bradley Avenue (10164) and when I was in kindergarten and my sister was in 5th grade, we attended Basilone Homes Elementary School. In 1954 I was in 1st grade at Hubbard Street School in Sylmar, though we still lived on Bradley, so I suppose that was the year BHES closed. The school auditorium was still being used (as of a few years ago) by the golf course as a maintenance building. Is anyone interested in working together to get the site renamed for John Basilone, the WW II Marine hero? Now that he is one of the main characters in the HBO series "The Pacific" it might be easier to get the powers-that-be moving on this.
Tonight I finished watching the 8th series of the Pacific, and this is where John Basilone was killed at IwoJima, it hit me like a ton of brick ---- I lived at Basilone Homes near Hansen Dam from 1951- to 1952( 8 years old) I went to school there and played in that pile of boulders many a time, the picture posted here of Basilone Homes really takes me back to my childhood.
Simon Perez

Old 08-13-2010, 10:14 PM

2 posts, read 8,171 times
Default More of Basilone...I Think!

While scanning old family photos, I noticed a few pix with 'Basilone' written on the backs,which led me here! I have no memory of ever hearing stories about the facility, and am just assuming theses were taken at this same place, since my family did live in the L.A. area, including Rodger Young Village, back in those days, and my dad was a Marine in Korea and WWII.
With only the one (excellent) picture here for comparison, I can't swear these were taken there, but maybe a couple of shots will help...

These were dated Oct 5, 1947

Bruce Wayne
^^X^^
http://www.flickr.com/photos/8229283@N08/4889344119/ (broken link)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/8229283@N08/4889938956/ (broken link) http://www.flickr.com/photos/8229283@N08/4889344119/ (broken link)

Last edited by Batman4oz; 08-13-2010 at 10:15 PM.. Reason: add date

Old 08-14-2010, 04:24 PM

2 posts, read 8,171 times
Default More Basilone, Please!

If anyone has any information, history, stories to tell, Please share them with us! The more we know, the better...and maybe we can spread the word from here--to...the...world!!

Thanks!

Bruce Wayne
^^X^^

Old 08-14-2010, 05:08 PM

19,089 posts, read 16,338,016 times
Anyone recognize these Basilone occupants?

Or these youngsters?

Here's a great bit of history!

http://www.scahome.org/publications/....20Killeen.pdf

Old 09-29-2010, 01:00 AM

1 posts, read 3,968 times
My family and I lived in Basilone homes from about 1948/1950. We moved there after our dad returned from the war. We attended Basilone homes elementary. My brothers and I used to play bb gun wars in the hills. I remember we would climb up to the dam and walk to Pops Willow Lake. After Basilone we moved to Boyle Heights. I have nice memories of Basilone Homes.

Old 10-02-2010, 01:58 AM

1 posts, read 3,944 times
My family moved to Basilone homes around 1950 and we lived there one year. My father was in the Navy while my sister and I lived in St. Louis. When he was released, he spent one year in St. Louis and the winter drove him back to the West Coast. We moved to Basilone Homes because there was very little housing in Los Angeles. I remember Basilone Home very fondly. The place was very green (a lot of grass) and we had to cut our own lawns. It was fenced off from the wilds of the Tuhunga wash, at the bottom of Hansen Dam, which was pretty rustic. I remember the bolders, the wash, the rattle snakes, horny toads, jack rabbits, bird nests, California poppies, an incredible Holloween, summer movies for the community, rows and rows of orange groves off the property, going to school without shoes, wearing only shorts during the summer, never shoes. When not sneaking off to the dam during the summer (there were no life guards and the water was muddy), our water sports consisted of hosing ourselves down. I remember it snowed once. We stayed a year, but it was too far for my dad to work and go to college at night, so we moved to Boyle Heights. I remember when we moved, as we were driving away, I cried.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles