Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Longing for Los Angeles after moving, miss LA attributes, budget problem, declining home prices, Bay Area cost of living, high cost of living

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 10:27 PM

364 posts, read 989,340 times

Advertisements

I'm a big enough person to admit when I am wrong. I was one of those who couldn't wait to get out of L.A. Now that I've been gone for a few years, I can't wait to get back! Absence truly does make the heart grow fonder and you never appreciate what you have until you don't have it anymore. L.A. has its problems, we all know that,but it also has many,many, many great attributes - which I miss. I'm coming home! (I was born and raised in SoCal).
Now, if the state can only fix its budget problem so I can try and find some decent work.

Has anybody who left felt the same way and returned?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2009, 11:24 PM

28,107 posts, read 63,501,261 times
It's not uncommon to find some that can't return... at least to what they left behind...

Might be a little easier now with home prices declining... not too long ago it was often said once you left, you couldn't afford to come back.

Old 02-19-2009, 12:30 AM

Yeah, I was wondering about that as well.

Old 02-19-2009, 01:21 AM

373 posts, read 1,169,069 times
I moved from LA to go back to Hawaii to go back to school and because I ran out of money. Now I have my degree and living in the Bay Area and am itching to move back to LA. I am now in the process of looking for jobs in LA myself.

Old 02-19-2009, 01:29 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,522,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzt83 View Post
I moved from LA to go back to Hawaii to go back to school and because I ran out of money. Now I have my degree and living in the Bay Area and am itching to move back to LA. I am now in the process of looking for jobs in LA myself.
You are in the exact same situation I'm in.

I love the Bay Area also but there's no place like home for me....

Old 02-19-2009, 05:55 AM

26,338 posts, read 93,563,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovetheoutdoors View Post
Absence truly does make the heart grow fonder...
And the fact that home prices have fallen almost 50% in some places doesn't hurt either. (I wonder if this thread would have even been created if home prices were still $400/sqft like they were a couple years ago.)

Last edited by Charles; 02-19-2009 at 06:05 AM..

Old 02-19-2009, 07:49 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,367,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovetheoutdoors View Post
I'm a big enough person to admit when I am wrong. I was one of those who couldn't wait to get out of L.A. Now that I've been gone for a few years, I can't wait to get back! Absence truly does make the heart grow fonder and you never appreciate what you have until you don't have it anymore. L.A. has its problems, we all know that,but it also has many,many, many great attributes - which I miss. I'm coming home! (I was born and raised in SoCal).
Now, if the state can only fix its budget problem so I can try and find some decent work.

Has anybody who left felt the same way and returned?
We never wanted to return, but our kids thought they did, after they gave it a try they left and now only visit on occassion. You didn't mention where you moved to, your age group or what you miss about the state..

Two things come to mind: 1- They old saying, "you can't go back" that is so true, but then the other "the grass is always greener on the other side" think about that before you make a move..

Good luck

Nita

Old 02-19-2009, 07:52 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,367,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
And the fact that home prices have fallen almost 50% in some places doesn't hurt either. (I wonder if this thread would have even been created if home prices were still $400/sqft like they were a couple years ago.)
Charles, as I just mentioned to her/him, on the thread above, we don't know if prices of property even play a part; the poster could be in their early 20s, maybe 50, maybe with a degree, maybe a wait staff person. I think there are too many maybes here. We also have no clue where they are living right now..
Nita

Old 02-19-2009, 08:51 AM

Me, 30 years old, single, born and raised in SoCal, and the high cost of living did play a part in my wanting to leave. The falling home prices also plays a huge part in returning. But I still would have created this thread as I just missed the Southern California lifestyle. I moved to Denver, which is a fantastic city, but it just doesn't have "that lifestyle" that I missed. Plus there's no In 'n Out here which alone makes me homesick.

Old 02-19-2009, 09:00 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,040,746 times
Please tell us what you miss. Make a list. Maybe some of us who are thinking of leaving (me) might reconsider...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles