Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2009, 12:48 PM

5 posts, read 10,353 times

Advertisements

I am currently a student in England and i'm soon going to University to Study for a Business degree. Afterwards, i was thinking of fulfilling my dream of moving to LA but would love to get some opinions on it from people who know what they're talking about, instead of just basing my opinions on a holiday lasting just over a week.

I've heard with a qualification, Jobs aren't overly hard to find, but i've also heard English qualifications mean nothing In America. Anyone know anything?

I'd also really appreciate any other info on general day to day living in LA.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2009, 12:57 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,830,538 times
There are several threads here which can answer at least some of your questions. As to this:

Quote:
I've heard with a qualification, Jobs aren't overly hard to find
I'm not sure where you heard that, but the unemployment rate in Los Angeles is currently 11% (Bureau of Labor Statistics). Hopefully it'll be better by the time you finish your degree, but it's pretty bleak right now.

Old 04-12-2009, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeezeboxgal View Post
There are several threads here which can answer at least some of your questions. As to this:

I'm not sure where you heard that, but the unemployment rate in Los Angeles is currently 11% (Bureau of Labor Statistics). Hopefully it'll be better by the time you finish your degree, but it's pretty bleak right now.
Yeah sorry forgot to mention that was excluding the current credit situation.

Thanks for your help

Old 04-12-2009, 02:48 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,734,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FraserLFA View Post
fulfilling my dream of moving to LA
How did you find out about Los Angeles?

Old 04-12-2009, 02:52 PM

I was taken on holiday there about 6 years ago and have loved it since and always thought it would be a great place to live. Everyone just seemed really happy there and friendly and everything. But as i've got older, i've realised it's not all fun and sun so i just wanted some serious opinions.

Old 04-13-2009, 11:35 PM

240 posts, read 1,423,343 times
Ideally, if someone is moving from another country and wants to work here, they obtain a job here while still living in the foreign country and obtain a work visa before they move here. However, as others have said, even people who have lived here for years are experiencing difficult financial hardships because many large companies are laying off employees, not hiring new ones.

You might want to consider obtaining a job with an international company with offices in both London and Los Angeles and then after a few years working in London, seek a transfer to LA.

When I lived in San Diego, a Canadian woman who had experience in social services was able to obtain employment at a child care agency for emotionally disturbed children because at that time, not many people wanted to work for social service agencies since the pay was so low. That might have changed now that the economy has tanked.

Best wishes.

Old 04-14-2009, 06:23 AM

Good advice. Thanks!

Old 04-14-2009, 07:50 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,683,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FraserLFA View Post
I am currently a student in England and i'm soon going to University to Study for a Business degree. Afterwards, i was thinking of fulfilling my dream of moving to LA but would love to get some opinions on it from people who know what they're talking about, instead of just basing my opinions on a holiday lasting just over a week.

I've heard with a qualification, Jobs aren't overly hard to find, but i've also heard English qualifications mean nothing In America. Anyone know anything?

I'd also really appreciate any other info on general day to day living in LA.

Thanks
Where did you hear jobs were not hard to fine? Right now they are and will probably be for the next few years.

I have no idea about English qualifications versus ours in America.

Nita

Old 04-14-2009, 10:47 PM

52 posts, read 206,546 times
No.

Old 06-15-2009, 11:34 AM

1 posts, read 2,096 times
I agree with Christine Joan- your best bet to get into the US is working in a business with offices in London and LA and requesting a transfer.Fraser, I am in exactly the same boat as you, just finished my 2nd yr of BA in marketing and considering moving to LA, either after my BA or after my masters.One thing I will say is think about studying for a masters in England before you try to move. A post-graduate degree moves you up to a higher level for immigration, a H2B rather than a H1B. H1B's have a waiting list for citizenship of upto 5 years whereas with a H2B has no waiting list. However, both types of visa will need sponsorship from an employer, which is difficult to get as I've found many jobs posted say only those with rights to live and work in the US can apply.I don't understand why more British people don't move to California. I've researched it for a long time now and housing is infinitely more cheaper, even in areas of central LA such as Echo Park. The highest band of income tax in California is 9% according to the government website, the highest income tax band in england is now 50%! Yes, you have to pay healthcare but think about how much you'll save in other areas (mostly tax but also cost of living)- from a fiscal point of view it makes sense in every way.Good luck in trying to get there, keep the faith because it'll be worth it in the end. (and don't listen to americans that tell you living in america is terrible, because they clearly havent lived in london- 11% unemployment? try 13.5% in london last year!!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles