U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-15-2009, 08:21 PM

3,983 posts, read 1,588,541 times
Default Upscale shooping downtown?

I rode around on the L.A. subway the other day for the first time and had a blast. I'd like to take my wife with me next time, but I'm going to have to entice her with some upscale shopping. Are there any areas downtown that fill the bill? Maybe one or two anchor stores and a bunch of boutiques? I'm thinking along the lines of Union Square in San Francisco, the Pine St/ Fifth Ave area in Seattle, Robson St in Vancouver, Midtown Manhattan- you get the idea...

I know the West Side has those things, but I'm looking specifically for something plausable that is accessible from the subway, cuz that's the whole point. Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2009, 08:23 PM

6,184 posts, read 11,622,109 times
old town pasadena is near the metro gold line and has plenty of good shopping.

Old 04-15-2009, 10:57 PM

10,041 posts, read 14,375,229 times
I agree that Old Pasadena is probably your best bet. It's not downtown LA, of course, but it sounds like it will fit your needs. Plus, the Gold Line is a nice ride. Old Pasadena has a blend of shopping at all levels; you can stop in at Tiffany's, shop in any number of pricey boutiques, then go to the more mid- and low-price point stores, too. (and, if you decide to drive yourself home, you can pick up a Jaguar or a Rolls Royce while you're there, too!).

Some other time you could also consider visiting downtown's fashion district; there are plenty of the bargain knock-off stores (Santee Alley is fun for a visit, even if it's not exactly upscale), but I think at least certain days each month the trade markets are open to the public. Otherwise downtown has some department stores and things, but nothing really like Union Square.

Depending on your wife's tastes there's also Hollywood; the Hollywood and Highland complex has some more generic stores that you can find elsewhere, but there are some smaller designer boutiques within walking distance of both the Vine and the Highland stations. Those seem to be tucked on side streets and seem to be destinations (and not the wander by and pop in kind of place, although I'm sure people do that, too), but you could look more into that option if you wanted some unique upscale shopping opportunities.

Old 04-16-2009, 12:07 AM

1,170 posts, read 2,348,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
Some other time you could also consider visiting downtown's fashion district; there are plenty of the bargain knock-off stores (Santee Alley is fun for a visit, even if it's not exactly upscale), but I think at least certain days each month the trade markets are open to the public. Otherwise downtown has some department stores and things, but nothing really like Union Square.
Fashion disctrict is definitely a Los Angeles gem. Not really tourist worthy, but definitely cool place to shop and get good stuff at a good price.

Old 04-16-2009, 01:51 AM

5,468 posts, read 7,855,825 times
If your wife really likes to shop, I'd recommend the jewelry district around 7th and Hill. They have something for everyone. There are like a trillion gazillion dollars worth of jewelry, most at wholesale prices, but it really is astounding to anyone that hasn't been downtown. If you wanted to buy a solid gold grill for your Mercedes Benz, you could find it in the jewelry district. The jewelry district really is the "House of 14kt Bling!" (Also, in the high rise buildings in the jewelry district, there are jewelry stores in the upper floors too.)

Many of the big hotels downtown (around Figueroa) have very upscale shopping boutiques.

There is also the garment district which is an "adventure" to say the least. It covers around 90 square blocks so you'll never see it all in one day. If she likes high-end brand names, I'd stick close to Olympic and Los Angeles St. (The Cooper Building area used to be pretty good for brand names. There is also the California Mart where you can buy designer samples but it's only open to the public
a couple of days every month.) The fashion/garment district also has lots of knock-offs and brands you've never heard of and whatever else. You really have to explore it to see what is down there. You can find really cool things that you never knew existed, and then again, you can find touristy t-shirts at 5 for $10. (Another tip: If you are on Olympic and Los Angeles Street, go one block east of Los Angeles St. and then go north. I think it's that street that gets higher end merchandise. If not, it's two blocks east.)

If your wife likes really high end things -- get off the subway at Wilshire and Western. There are two malls in Koreatown south on Western from Wilshire. We went in one mall a year or so ago. They have a watch shop that features Rolex as the cheap brand. They carry Harry Winston watches. The whole mall had really high-end merchandise, but most of the boutiques catered to shorter women. But if you want to buy a 14kt Montblanc pen and a $300,000 watch, these are the malls for you!

Old 04-16-2009, 06:50 AM

5,103 posts, read 10,010,855 times
Shooping? Is this a combination of shopping and snooping? (Sorry, I couldn't resist!)

Gurbie, welcome to City-Data!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles